Alloa vs Ayr

There are 9 possible outcomes of the Ayr and Raith games at the weekend. (Ayr win, Raith win.  Ayr win, Raith draw etc.)  Three of these lead to Ayr having the league won on Sunday, five leave it in our own hands and one put it in Raith’s hands.  That last one where we lose and Raith win is, unfortunately, not at all improbable.  

The absence of Shankland makes it more likely of course. Obviously a daft challenge but can see why it was appealed. Down to the ref’s opinion and still think some might have given a yellow. Mr Anderson hasn’t done us any favours this season., as pointed out in a previous post.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would fans please stop posting this nonsense, the boy will be gutted because he let himself down.
Would be good for those not stripped and the fans if Shanks and Co get in amongst the fans on the terracing.

It subjective, of course, but I still don’t believe it was a red card.

The ref has the best view of anyone in the ground there, and the video does little to defend Shankland.

I don't think you could make a definite call based on that video, so quite right the appeal was chucked out.

18 minutes ago, super_carson said:

It subjective, of course, but I still don’t believe it was a red card.

It's not subjective enough to suggest the ref has dropped a huge clanger, the refs big mistake was affording Shankland no protection whatsoever all day when the ball was being played up to him,  never even looked like acknowledging any of the clatterings he received, that's why Shanks tried to nail the guy, I don't like Ayr players that go out to injury opponents for the sake of it but I've no problem with Shanks after Saturday or the Raith game.

It was disappointing to watch the lino failing to see every challenge on Shankland, he was in line with every one of them.

It's not subjective enough to suggest the ref has dropped a huge clanger, the refs big mistake was affording Shankland no protection whatsoever all day when the ball was being played up to him,  never even looked like acknowledging any of the clatterings he received, that's why Shanks tried to nail the guy, I don't like Ayr players that go out to injury opponents for the sake of it but I've no problem with Shanks after Saturday or the Raith game.

This

No wonder he was frustrated and that’s why he was sneaky and tried to leave his mark on him. A smarter or more experienced player wouldn’t have done it right in front of the referee.

1 minute ago, somerset_lad said:

This

No wonder he was frustrated and that’s why he was sneaky and tried to leave his mark on him. A smarter or more experienced player wouldn’t have done it right in front of the referee.

He was unlucky as the ref would have struggled to red card him if he had my view from the halfway line.

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Stop fucking ranting on in every message like it’s fact that Shankland knew what he was doing and that he meant it. I’ve never seen an Ayr fan invest so much energy trying to convince everyone that a decision that went against their own team was justified. And it’s not about being blinkered. The appeal is lost, if I thought it was right I’d say, what’s the point in doing otherwise?

It’s been said by everyone no matter what their thoughts are, that there’s no way to tell for certain, the only one who knows is Shankland.

I have watched it dozens of times and there’s no way I can accept he was trying to deliberately elbow him. He’s running backwards, he’s looking to see what’s around him as ANY striker would do and he jumps for a ball in between two players. Did he catch the player? Yes. Was it an outstretched pointed elbow thrust into the defender? No. The linesman is yards away and doesn’t flinch. Their manager admitted that his player felt contact as they jumped and stayed down to influence the referee.

If you think that’s a red card, fine but gonnae give it a rest preaching it on every bloody message.

Just noticed Euan Anderson is refereeing Elgin v Peterhead this Saturday, enough said.

We've got Greg Aitken on Sunday, if i remember rightly he's the twat we had up at St Mirren last season who sent Adams off for the challenge from behind which was nothing more than cynical.

21 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

It was disappointing to watch the lino failing to see every challenge on Shankland, he was in line with every one of them.

Ayr fans blinkered only see one sided view Okah was tackled from behind every time he got the ball. Adams and Shankland have a dirty edge to them. Can dish it out but can’t take it.

Ayr player blinkered only see one sided view Okah was tackled from behind every time he got the ball. Adams and Shankland have a dirty edge to them. Can dish it out but can’t take it.

Tackling from behind is allowed as long as it’s not dangerous. None of the challenges were dangerous. The boy Okoh clearly has very limited skill so resorted to trying to win a free kick every time he got the ball.

Don’t think you can say Shankland has a dirty edge after being sent off once this season out of frustration because he was constantly being fouled.

10 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

Stop fucking ranting on in every message like it’s fact that Shankland knew what he was doing and that he meant it. I’ve never seen an Ayr fan invest so much energy trying to convince everyone that a decision that went against their own team was justified. And it’s not about being blinkered. The appeal is lost, if I thought it was right I’d say, what’s the point in doing otherwise?

It’s been said by everyone no matter what their thoughts are, that there’s no way to tell for certain, the only one who knows is Shankland.

I have watched it dozens of times and there’s no way I can accept he was trying to deliberately elbow him. He’s running backwards, he’s looking to see what’s around him as ANY striker would do and he jumps for a ball in between two players. Did he catch the player? Yes. Was it an outstretched pointed elbow thrust into the defender? No. The linesman is yards away and doesn’t flinch. Their manager admitted that his player felt contact as they jumped and stayed down to influence the referee.

If you think that’s a red card, fine but gonnae give it a rest preaching it on every bloody message.

He doesn't jump between players, he jumps past the 1st man with no intention of getting the ball, the fact that his arm was kept fairly straight was the only reason I thought he had a wee chance of getting it rescinded.

I was as close as the lino and I never flinched, the North Terrace wasn't the best place to judge that incident as Shanks was blocking the view of his arm.

4 minutes ago, thomas 62 said:

Ayr fans blinkered only see one sided view Okah was tackled from behind every time he got the ball. Adams and Shankland have a dirty edge to them. Can dish it out but can’t take it.

Not a single Stranraer fan has mentioned their man getting away with clattering Shanks at every opportunity, not a wee tackle but full weight thudding into his back everytime he was receiving a high ball, I would have had no qualms if Shanks had injured the big man as the big man wasn't exactly interested in keeping Shanks healthy for 90 minutes.

1 hour ago, jm86 said:

There are 9 possible outcomes of the Ayr and Raith games at the weekend. (Ayr win, Raith win.  Ayr win, Raith draw etc.)  Three of these lead to Ayr having the league won on Sunday, five leave it in our own hands and one put it in Raith’s hands.  That last one where we lose and Raith win is, unfortunately, not at all improbable.  

The absence of Shankland makes it more likely of course. Obviously a daft challenge but can see why it was appealed. Down to the ref’s opinion and still think some might have given a yellow. Mr Anderson hasn’t done us any favours this season., as pointed out in a previous post.

Far more likely that with our rancid away form we go down there and shite our load.  Not sure why Ayr fans are suddenly nervy, even if - from you guys point of view that the worst happens and we win and you lose - we then have to go and beat a buoyant Alloa team that is demonstrably good enough to beat you in the first place, so that's hardly a forgone conclusion anyway.

I don’t think Shankland being out is as big a blow as is being made out.

Ayr don’t even have to score at the weekend. A 0-0 draw would all but secure the title and that’s even if we somehow do the unthinkable and win away to a team in the top half for only the second time this season.

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

Not a single Stranraer fan has mentioned their man getting away with clattering Shanks at every opportunity, not a wee tackle but full weight thudding into his back everytime he was receiving a high ball, I would have had no qualms if Shanks had injured the big man as the big man wasn't exactly interested in keeping Shanks healthy for 90 minutes.

Bias S...e

He doesn't jump between players, he jumps past the 1st man with no intention of getting the ball, the fact that his arm was kept fairly straight was the only reason I thought he had a wee chance of getting it rescinded.
I was as close as the lino and I never flinched, the North Terrace wasn't the best place to judge that incident as Shanks was blocking the view of his arm.

I'm happy to call our own players out but I absolutely disagree on this one. He's jumping to challenge for the ball - in a physical way.

Yes there's contact with the guy's head but he's made a meal out of it. Definitely not a typical elbow to the face incident, and for me a booking at worst.

15 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'm happy to call our own players out but I absolutely disagree on this one. He's jumping to challenge for the ball - in a physical way.

Yes there's contact with the guy's head but he's made a meal out of it. Definitely not a typical elbow to the face incident, and for me a booking at worst.

Poor Super Ayr, the Stranraer team out get them ,the ref and lineman out to rob them ,the SFA out to get them, and they always play fair.

Archived