General World Cup Nonsense

jagfox

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Has there been less diving in this world cup?

I assume that has to do with var?

I'd say less diving but definitely more gamesmanship - VAR seems to be introducing more trying to get others booked through going down and holding your face everytime someone touches your face when going for a header etc. Unlike yer da, I don't actually mind that though and hope Dele is at it tomorrow to win us a disgustingly controversial penalty (in a 2-1 defeat, no doubt).

3 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

I'd say less diving but definitely more gamesmanship - VAR seems to be introducing more trying to get others booked through going down and holding your face everytime someone touches your face when going for a header etc. Unlike yer da, I don't actually mind that though and hope Dele is at it tomorrow to win us a disgustingly controversial penalty (in a 2-1 defeat, no doubt).

There is a level of players appealing for var too.

2 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

There is a level of players appealing for var too.

Aye. I think it was Spain v Portugal the other night (though it's happened a few time) where the imaginary cards were getting waved and, possibly for the first time ever, the commentators managed to avoid claiming we 'don't like seeing that' as though asking for the yellow something that doesn't happen pretty much every time a cynical foul is made. 

Just now, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Aye. I think it was Spain v Portugal the other night (though it's happened a few time) where the imaginary cards were getting waved and, possibly for the first time ever, the commentators managed to avoid claiming we 'don't like seeing that' as though asking for the yellow something that doesn't happen pretty much every time a cynical foul is made. 

I think there was one game that has a TV screen gesture from a player.

3 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Anyone watching the thing on the BBC about being the England manager?

No, they produced it speshully only for you m9.

12 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

I think it's OK and acceptable if a player they like does it.

"Dundee United" is slang for idiot in Nigeria apparently.

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/the-tele-guide-to-the-world-cup-group-ds-local-links/

Local link: Seeing as in Nigeria “Dundee United” is slang for idiot (it relates to a disastrous early 70s visit there), at least half our city might not be shouting for the Super Eagles.

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

"Dundee United" is slang for idiot in Nigeria apparently.

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/the-tele-guide-to-the-world-cup-group-ds-local-links/

think this was in when Saturday comes and someone subsequently wrote in to say it was an urban myth.deserves to be true nonetheless

Archived