The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

I wouldn't get too excited, even at that level. His fitness was never an issue, probably his best attribute but that's all he tended to do: run around a lot.

He was a signing I was happy with initially but he was just so poor. I can't think what he brought to the side. We were always better when he never started (which wasn't often unfortunately). He was so poor that had he re-signed I'd have been picking and choosing my games next season due to how fed up I was of him.

He'll guide players through the game by pointing and shouting a lot but I can't think what he'll really bring other than his experience. He won't score many, if any and he isn't exactly a great one for breaking up play. When he does get the ball he'll more than likely boot it up the park. Time will tell if he can cut it at a lower level now but don't hold your breath.

I don't have difficulty believing that. He's not big, quick or hugely aggressive in how he goes about his game. If he's going to be any use to us, we'll need a ballast in the form of a ball winner; someone with all the attributes he lacks.

What we will get with him is a technically outstanding midfielder who, not unlike our Ray Grant, is capable of keeping it simple and, with the next kick, picking a great forward pass. He's good with a dead-ball, and hits a good shot from distance. Be a decent captain, too.

Always wanted him to ditch County for us, back in the day. Fat chance he would've, of course.

Edited by Sao Paulo

He won't score goals, he can't break up play and he just hoofs the ball up the park, doesn't sound like the John Rankin I have watched for years. Anytime I have seen him play he has always impressed me. Is this the general consensus amongst QOS fans or just your own opinion as I find it very strange from my own impression of him?

He won't score goals, he can't break up play and he just hoofs the ball up the park, doesn't sound like the John Rankin I have watched for years. Anytime I have seen him play he has always impressed me. Is this the general consensus amongst QOS fans or just your own opinion as I find it very strange from my own impression of him?

Nah that pretty much sums up the John Rankin we seen at Falkirk as well. Just plods about in the middle of the park without really doing much.

The John Rankin you might remember might be when he was at Caley/Ross County who was quite an attacking centre midfielder loved tiger forward and scored quite a few goals from distance. At 35 now you won’t see any of that.

Still hoping for a few more signings.. we definitely need another striker in my opinion Goody and Hopkirk up front sounds great but I heard Hopkirk is always injured then who have we got that wee ginger guy (lost his name)... hopefully McStay signs... and would like another defender 

What we will get with him is a technically outstanding midfielder who, not unlike our Ray Grant, is capable of keeping it simple and, with the next kick, picking a great forward pass. He's good with a dead-ball, and hits a good shot from distance. Be a decent captain, too.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that's nowhere near the player you're now getting. A quality player in his prime and when we signed him from Falkirk I was thinking the same as you but have been left extremely disappointed.

His idea of keeping it simple normally meant kicking it not as long, I can't ever recall him playing a through ball for a goal or a great forward pass, no idea about his deadball skills but he certainly never scored any FKs for us and his shots were laughably bad. I was at the stage where I would shout for him not to shoot whenever he picked the ball up near the box.

You never watched him last year then. It's the general consensus among the vast majority. I can only recall one of our posters ever defending him tbh. Go onto our page after one of your posters asked about him and you'll see for yourself. He was one of the worst players in our side last season yet somehow managed to rack up a helluva gametime.

The drop down might suit him but do yourselves a favour and forget about the Rankin you knew, because it's not the Rankin you're getting.

1 hour ago, ian mac said:

while I welcome the signing of John rankin if mcstay lamont and Boyle return we're going to have a awful lot of central midfielders think we need a wide player most of all

From the Montrose game in the middle of January we took more points per game than every side bar Montrose (who had the luxury of playing three games less), scored more goals per game than every side bar Montrose and conceded the least number of goals per game than every side bar Peterhead. And apart from the couple of games where Martin started, we didn't play an out and out winger. Danny Lennon relies too much on possession to pick players who fundamentally give the ball away the majority of the time they have it (that is what happens when crosses are put into the box).

We've also got a striker who relies on through-balls springing him beyond a back-line. That's not to say we won't employ width (we absolutely will) but not through wingers. It'll be from the full-backs, and from our central players using the full width of the pitch. I think we'll be fine.

I genuinely can't remember seeing Rankin play for years. No idea how that'll turn out. League 2 is obviously very different from the Championship but with Nicoll probably starting we can't afford another player who lacks a burst of pace with the way we play.

Would be shocked if Murdoch signed. Sure he was still well thought of at Morton so would imagine a side in the Championship would take a punt on him.

Lyle would be a fantastic signing, easily still do a job for Clyde.

I don't think they'll be on massive wages Lennon and moore are a big attraction plus the 200 club summer version is bringing in money season ticket sales are meant to be doing well tv money from the motherwell game excluding gate money among other various initiatives, we are in a better position financially than we were signing shit like Mark archdeacon. 

I'm looking forward to the new season, I hope murdoch and lyle are true though would be 2 fantastic signings at this level. 

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that's nowhere near the player you're now getting. A quality player in his prime and when we signed him from Falkirk I was thinking the same as you but have been left extremely disappointed.

His idea of keeping it simple normally meant kicking it not as long, I can't ever recall him playing a through ball for a goal or a great forward pass, no idea about his deadball skills but he certainly never scored any FKs for us and his shots were laughably bad. I was at the stage where I would shout for him not to shoot whenever he picked the ball up near the box.

I hear you. Happily, Rankin's story isn't an uncommon one, and oftentimes it's recoverable.

Not having the physical edge he once did, he's found himself unable to influence matches in a very competitive, full-time league. But we've gotten good-to-excellent value out of Marvyn Wilson, Stephen O'Donnell, Keigan Parker, Stevie Masterton and others who've fallen from similar heights in recent years. To say nothing about Gary McSwegan. Rankin's technically as-good, if not better, than most of those players and has a good brain for the game. Moreover, you don't lose technical ability as suddenly, nor for precisely the same reasons as you lose your edge physically.

I'm still delighted. There's a real win in there for us if we set the side up properly. Of course, if we put Rankin out there with Ray Grant as a midfield duo, we'd be absolute pushovers.