The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

He definitely knew on Thursday that he was taking the job.

I still like him but the whole situation has left a bad taste tbh. All the sound bites about being forever grateful and Ayr being his last job. He knew after we beat them a few weeks ago that Caldwell was done and he’d be next in line.

Had he left in the summer then I wouldn’t feel as bad but it’s the fact he’s moaned all summer about lack of funds but still went to the bother of recruiting players, starting the season and then leaving 6 games in.

I was okay about it mostly until I heard him on Sportsound last night - the way he was talking definitely gave the impression that it was something he had been waiting for for a wee while. Also pretty much said the only reason he didn’t go for it last year was because he didn’t want to replace Archibald - if it wasn’t for that he’d most likely have went at a similar time of the season.

I’ll always be grateful for the way he’s turned us around, and there is some logic in his decision (bigger budget), but it does grate a bit if he’s always been going on about his loyalty to Cameron while secretly crossing his fingers for the Thistle job.

He was asked Sportsound last Tuesday about the financial troubles at Thistle and he said he had spoken to the new chairman and he said there were no issues with that at all. Seemed odd at the time that a manager would be talking to an opponents chairman about finances, especially when that club had a manager. I just put it down to them being pals or something. 

Also, Chick Youngs exclusive on Off the Ball that McCall and Archibald would be announced over the weekend, while McCall was presumably still in the dressing room at Alloa and Chick was at Firhill.  

Makes all the "hardest decision" patter seem a bit Brendan Rodgers'y 

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

He was asked Sportsound last Tuesday about the financial troubles at Thistle and he said he had spoken to the new chairman and he said there were no issues with that at all. Seemed odd at the time that a manager would be talking to an opponents chairman about finances, especially when that club had a manager. I just put it down to them being pals or something. 

Also, Chick Youngs exclusive on Off the Ball that McCall and Archibald would be announced over the weekend, while McCall was presumably still in the dressing room at Alloa and Chick was at Firhill.  

Makes all the "hardest decision" patter seem a bit Brendan Rodgers'y 

Correct it's all coming out now ,Judas is the the word you're looking for I've changed my mind with all the stuff now , we've been strung up

Edited by Super cally

It was interesting that Lachlan said on Facebook that McCall would have only signed if the clause about being able to speak to clubs was included in his deal. As many have said, I think this was something that McCall has known was going to become available and that he has been trying to engineer since the end of last season.

It doesn't detract from his achievements at Ayr, but if I'm being honest it does make me think slightly less of him now. I'm not bothered so much he went to Thistle, given his emotional pull, but just the way that it looks like the whole move was something he's known was on the cards since the end of last season and has, probably, tried to manufacture given what was in his contract.

Again it wouldn't bother me as much if he hadn't spouted all the crap about being loyal to Cameron but then again, he's excellent at the PR side of things. I just feel he's been a bit hypocritical.

I'm sorry but have Rangers and Celtic loaned players to Ian McCall or Ayr United ??

I'm pretty sure it's Ayr United and if anyone seriously believes that they'll recall players who are settled and playing excellent football for a team at the top of the league to be sent to a team in disarray at the bottom of the league, well, what can I say, silly season has definitely arrived !!!

Frankly I've become really sick of all this "McCall the messiah" sort of talk, I would cast your mind back to season 2016 - 2017, when many wanted him sacked and where he was probably pretty lucky that he had a good relationship with Lachlan as most other Managers would indeed have been handed their P45.

Gary Harkins, Farid El Alagui ??

Remember them ??

image.thumb.png.ca7a65240ccabb0307503e5751f7ee67.png

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Frankly I've become really sick of all this "McCall the messiah" sort of talk, I would cast your mind back to season 2016 - 2017, when many wanted him sacked and where he was probably pretty lucky that he had a good relationship with Lachlan as most other Managers would indeed have been handed their P45.

Remember them ??

Well, yes, but the subsequent two-and-a-bit seasons have proved what a terrible decision sacking McCall would have been.  We have been an (almost) unqualified success since turning full-time. 

FWIW, I think the summer made McCall's mind up that he wanted to move on to Thistle. Not because he wasn't 'backed' by the Board, or that his budget was cut, but because he realised that it is going to be a long time before the club has the infrastructure and finance required to go to the next level. 

The last 2 seasons have been good, however if we're being completely honest then we should be mentioning his entire Managerial career with us and not just the good times. We also had an extremely bad run after Christmas last season where some wondered if we'd ever win another football match, which again confirms that while a Good Manager, he's certainly not a miracle worker.

One could also argue that our "good football" and playing style coincided with the appointment of Sandy Stewart so maybe he deserves much of the credit for that ??

I'm not for one minute denying that McCall did well for us or that losing him is a major blow, however I firmly believe there's much more to our relative recent success than just one man and for me the priority is to ensure that we don't lose all our best players for nothing, whether that be to Partick or to any other vultures who'll undoubtedly be circling over the likes of Forrest, McCowan and Harvie............

Who was the last manager not 'sacked' or 'Mutual Consented' out of position ????

McCall did a great job at Ayr United, you could count the number of 'failures' on one hand, you'd only need two hands to count the 'really' good players over the last two decades.

This season so far has been phenomenal:, loosing quality players, recruiting quality players and playing attractive ( Somerset Road End perspective, ) football is PRIMARILY down to McCall.

A cynic might suggest we had half a good season last year and three quarters of a good season the year before. Not even a quarter of a good season yet this year. We've also suffered inarguably the worst result in the club's history during that period.

Things look positive now, but if McCall had stayed all season and suffered the same winter slump then lots of people would have been suggesting a change at that point.

It’s beginning to annoy me the way McCall has went about things. It wouldn’t have suprised me if him and that twat Colin Weir were in cahoots about what would happen when Caldwell was ousted. It definitely sounds like he was keeping his options open and now hoping it would all go tits up at Thistle so he could return and be given a war chest by Weir. Hope the plan backfires for them and they do a Falkirk 

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It’s beginning to annoy me the way McCall has went about things. It wouldn’t have suprised me if him and that twat Colin Weir were in cahoots about what would happen when Caldwell was ousted. It definitely sounds like he was keeping his options open and now hoping it would all go tits up at Thistle so he could return and be given a war chest by Weir. Hope the plan backfires for them and they do a Falkirk 

Reading the story it appears that Weir is providing the financial backing for the fans to buy out the club and stadium but is then more or less walking away to concentrate on the youth academy with the club being run as a sustainable community based club. 

As such, I think talks of "war chests" etc are well wide of the mark (much larger budget than us of course).

We're also entering the realms of disaster financial management when you already have Dundee Utd & Dundee throwing money at their sides in order to gain promotion. Inverness also fancy themselves as a top tier club and Dunfermline would feel they're far to big to remain in this division much longer.

If we're then adding Partick to that list, then you're going to have an awful lot of disappointed money men with only one club being promoted automatically...............

53 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Reading the story it appears that Weir is providing the financial backing for the fans to buy out the club and stadium but is then more or less walking away to concentrate on the youth academy with the club being run as a sustainable community based club. 

As such, I think talks of "war chests" etc are well wide of the mark (much larger budget than us of course).

We're also entering the realms of disaster financial management when you already have Dundee Utd & Dundee throwing money at their sides in order to gain promotion. Inverness also fancy themselves as a top tier club and Dunfermline would feel they're far to big to remain in this division much longer.

If we're then adding Partick to that list, then you're going to have an awful lot of disappointed money men with only one club being promoted automatically...............

Wouldn't put Inverness in the "rich" / "chasing the dream" status. They've openly admitted their skint a few times and carrying too large a wage budget. They have either just had or are about to have an EGM to discuss the future of the clubs finances, looking likely that they'll scrap their youth system from the article I read the other week. 

I'm sorry but have Rangers and Celtic loaned players to Ian McCall or Ayr United ??
I'm pretty sure it's Ayr United and if anyone seriously believes that they'll recall players who are settled and playing excellent football for a team at the top of the league to be sent to a team in disarray at the bottom of the league, well, what can I say, silly season has definitely arrived !!!

Not sure of the finances but partick may offer to pay more of the players salary which could persuade them.

30 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Not sure of the finances but partick may offer to pay more of the players salary which could persuade them.

That being the case, I'm sure we'd have been at the back of the queue in the summer when trying to get Ross back and I'm also sure there would have been clubs in this division who would have liked Kelly and would certainly have been able to offer more than Ayr.

Remember them ??

Both those signings (particularly harkins) were hailed as great signings by most fans.

Some signings don't work out - but let's not point to that being a low point.

12 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Interesting what McCall does with Harkins at Thistle, presume he's injured at the moment as I don't recall him playing for them this season.

I'm sure he came on against United at Firhill. Maybe the fact that he's fat and lazy has hindered his playing time ??