The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

9 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

Seems a decent guy with positives off the field, not convinced on it tbf, but very early and deserves far more time to rectify the mess, he must however very quickly find a shape especially an attacking threat. 

Mathie is in the same position talks very well but unconvinced re signings so far,  he must provide Bully with an experienced leader type preferably in the midfield, this team has had no obvious leaders since Bell and Geggan. 

It’ll take two summer windows to sort this mess out completely. This is the off field team Smith has assembled . We’ll be sticking with them for that time frame at least . You are correct about an on the pitch leader , we really do need one of those , perhaps somebody more local that knows the ins and outs of the league etc .  

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

I think results have looked mixed, but how do you feel about Bullen so far? 

Too early to make any real judgement, but it’s been pretty disappointing so far.  He took on a team that dug out 2 good wins under caretaker management and then reverted to the tactics that have failed us all season.  I think we’ve mustered 1 shot on target (which luckily hit the back of the net on Saturday) In his 3 real games in charge.   Don’t know what else he expects with Aaron Muirhead as the midfield lynchpin and one huffy striker isolated up front on his own.  If we don’t have the courage to change our approach and/or make a couple of solid signings in the next few hours then we will probably get relegated.  

7 minutes ago, bazka6 said:

Does it not seem slightly harsh on Duffy that we’re now giving Bullen the benefit of the doubt purely on the squad he inherited?

No. We were linked with haddies such as Tam O'Ware when he was manager and we're going down a totally different route that will take time. I also think that unlike Duffy, Bullen wants to be here and will work day in and out to get things right. 

A player that Lee Bullen could be interested in is 19 year old Corey Glaves a CB who can also play as a defensive midfielder. A huge gamble but they both got on with eachother at Sheffield Wednesday youth academy. Was released in June and was linked with Brentford, Hull City and Chelsea however picked up an injury while training with Chelsea which unfortunately stopped the move but he did impress the club. 

For all that McGinty is utter shite and has cost us plenty points this season, for me, Muirhead has got to take the same amount of blame.

Based on ability he is easily the worst football player in this team. He’s only made a career from football by being the ‘tough guy’ who ‘plays for the badge.’ For Bullen to keep insisting on playing him in midfield is quite concerning. Everything seems to go through him and the most irritating thing is how much he gets on at other players. He went ballistic at Reading on Saturday for an honest mistake when his full game consists of deliberate mistakes.

Instead of moving him to centre back I’d probably drop him altogether.

Edited by AyrAtlanta

9 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

For all that McGinty is utter shite and has cost us plenty points this season, for me, Muirhead has got to take the same amount of blame.

Based on ability he is easily the worst football player in this team. He’s only made a career from football by being the ‘tough guy’ who ‘plays for the badge.’ For Bullen to keep insisting on playing him in midfield is quite concerning. Everything seems to go through him and the most irritating thing is how much he gets on at other players. He went ballistic at Reading on Saturday for an honest mistake when his full game consists of deliberate mistakes.

Instead of moving him to centre back I’d probably drop him altogether.

Yes, the fact that Muirhead "puts in a shift" and "plays for the jersey" probably says more about the rest of them and how our expectations have become so low as opposed to anything actually GOOD that Muirhead has been doing.

It shouldn't be forgotten that he was only ever signed as a squad / utility type player rather than some sort of marquis signing, however we've been that bad that he's somehow become our talisman which is pretty worrying in itself.

I totally agree, we need a real Midfielder in his place who can organise, pass a ball and take a set piece and even weigh in with the odd goal or two, as halfing people and aimlessly smashing the ball up the pitch / out the pitch just isn't cutting it.......

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

I think results have looked mixed, but how do you feel about Bullen so far? 

I’ve not been impressed so far, he has the persona of a pub bouncer and came across as a bit arrogant in his early interviews. His last couple of interviews he has came across as a bit more normal and spoke a bit better.

The pressure of senior football is different to under 23 coaching and hopefully he is adapting and on a learning curve and he will start to pick up results and sort the squad out. 

He has struggled to get a tune out of most of the players, a problem the previous three managers have had but he has been covering old ground with some of his selections and tactics.  The Morton game was one of the worst performances I have ever seen and he did nothing to change it until the 89th minute. He’s set up in different ways the last 2 games and it’s all gone to shit after we concede and he’s changed the shape 2-3 times but not the defensive personnel which are causing the problems. He is talking about having different systems for different teams and perhaps it would be better to find a system we are good at and sticking with it.

He’ll hopefully have a better squad for the second half of the season and will work out the best system for the team. 
It is his first job in senior coaching, he has been out of Scottish football for 15 years so he is due a bedding in period to learn the squad as well as the rest of the teams in the league. He still has a number 2 to come in that will hopefully be able to help him with that. 
It wouldn’t be fair to score him out of 10 for his first 4 games due to the bedding in period and because it is early days. He’s not had an immediate bounce like Imrie, he’s not really improved anything so far but for the reasons I’ve described it may take another 6 weeks before we will know if he is a rough gem, maybe even next season. 

17 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, the fact that Muirhead "puts in a shift" and "plays for the jersey" probably says more about the rest of them and how our expectations have become so low as opposed to anything actually GOOD that Muirhead has been doing.

It shouldn't be forgotten that he was only ever signed as a squad / utility type player rather than some sort of marquis signing, however we've been that bad that he's somehow become our talisman which is pretty worrying in itself.

I totally agree, we need a real Midfielder in his place who can organise, pass a ball and take a set piece and even weigh in with the odd goal or two, as halfing people and aimlessly smashing the ball up the pitch / out the pitch just isn't cutting it.......

I have always thought Muirhead is shit and was disappointed when we signed him.

It says a lot about how shit we are that he's a key player now although he hasn't improved any - apart from not getting sent off for a while.

5 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I have always thought Muirhead is shit and was disappointed when we signed him.

It says a lot about how shit we are that he's a key player now although he hasn't improved any - apart from not getting sent off for a while.

We were lightweight in midfield under Kerr, teams were flooding through our midfield and not protecting the defence. Muirhead offered a bit of resistance. He doesn’t disrupt play and only really closes down players. 
In 18 months, we never made inroads to bring someone in to do that job. It needs done so Muirhead is the guy. 
teams have got wise to it now and know he’s not a great passer tamp give him and our defence all the time they need to make an arse of things and just mark the forward players. 

Is this a sign that Houston isn’t rated as a starter, or are they looking for someone more capable on the ball at centre half...

Both probably.

Gives us a couple of options. I’d think first and foremost we’ll try him at centre half.