The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Would be a good signing but probably isn’t a priority position unless we were offloading McAllister or Houston. Had it been the summer and Houston was out of contract then I’d be all for it. 

42 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Tumilty is 25, and should absolutely be the kind of signing we are making at full back with the next couple of seasons in mind too. 

This. I completely get the argument that fullback is maybe not the priority at the moment but it will need addressed in the summer if we want to progress so getting him on an 18 month deal just now gives us something less to worry about. 

20 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

This. I completely get the argument that fullback is maybe not the priority at the moment but it will need addressed in the summer if we want to progress so getting him on an 18 month deal just now gives us something less to worry about. 

I get this . We could play this guy at right mid in the short term and move Mullin across to the left or stick him in at no 10 . Bully did say he'd be alive to opportunities that cropped up , surely this is one such opportunity ? However my instinct this is another that could slip through our fingers.

46 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I see Clyde have announced their marquee signing this transfer window- Cameron Salkeld😂

I feel for Clyde, managed by the 'going through the motions' dinosaur that is Jim fucking Duffy and Cameron 'headless chicken' Salkeld as a marquee signing.

What a time to be a Clyde fan! They might as well close the club. 

Edited by Trogdor

Duffy is stealing a wage by being a manager. It was clear that he couldn’t be arsed at the end up with Dumbarton and I don’t think he was ever actually interested in us but took an easy pay day as a coach and then somehow ended up in charge. He’s definitely up there as one of our worst mangers and he’s easily the most boring one we’ve had. There was nothing really likeable about him in his time in charge.

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Duffy is stealing a wage by being a manager. It was clear that he couldn’t be arsed at the end up with Dumbarton and I don’t think he was ever actually interested in us but took an easy pay day as a coach and then somehow ended up in charge. He’s definitely up there as one of our worst mangers and he’s easily the most boring one we’ve had. There was nothing really likeable about him in his time in charge.

My first ever Ayr game was in the 1998/99 season, and I started going away in the 2005/06 season. For the first time in my life, I gave up on Ayr with Hopkin and Duffy. I refused to go until both of them were gone. That’s how bad I thought it had got. How times have changed though. 

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

In all fairness, he did have a heart attack.

Just now, Nelson said:

In all fairness, he did have a heart attack.

Aye and it’s utterly tragic that the guy nearly lost his life. My point is that if your heart is no longer in it, stop putting yourself in a position where clubs are offering you jobs when you clearly couldn’t care less. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye and it’s utterly tragic that the guy nearly lost his life. My point is that if your heart is no longer in it, stop putting yourself in a position where clubs are offering you jobs when you clearly couldn’t care less. 

I really don’t have a problem with Duffy.  He was a solid enough appointment as a coach and I don’t think he thought for one minute the Hopkin era would go so badly that he would end up caretaker manager 4 weeks into the season.  The players genuinely seemed to respond to him at first and it was strange that they downed tools as soon as he was given the job permanently.  In the end, the problems he faced were down to Hopkins recruitment and the points he scraped as caretaker were critical in keeping us up.

In the end, responsibility for the Hopkin/Duffy debacle rests with the chairman - the silver lining being that he recognised he wasn’t  running the club properly and appointed Mathie.