The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

McCall managed to sign top players and bring them to Ayr, combined players to step down, move from Aberdeen etc.

We tied ambition to season ticket sales and mobilised fans to try and keep the best players we had.

Currently we can’t beat Morton to sign players, while we up season ticket and gate prices as well as releasing 3 fucking shirts. But if fans dig deeper in their pockets, things will get better.

eat your cereal etc 

There’s evidence that we’ve obviously looked ahead and been watching some guys last season in the signings of Pendlebury and Amartey. But the fact we’re just randomly enquiring about strikers from rivals shows that we haven’t planned ahead for Akinyemi leaving.

Why that is I don’t know but it means we’ll be scrambling about for a new number 9 which never really ends well.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

No club has a bottomless pit and they’re still getting stuff done. The chasing of Graham and McKay felt like a waste of time as it was unlikely to amount to anything. 

I can’t remember a time where we have been rumoured to be after so many good players and landed none of them. It’s good that we’re being ambitious but we aren’t in a position (yet) where we can get these guys. 

But some teams will have a larger pit and that makes a huge difference, especially in agreeing severance packages.

I still say we only lost Dipo yesterday, can anybody on here say 100% that he was always going to go?

How the club are actually supposed to have a suitable replacement tee'd up for today or even Tuesday baffles me.

23 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'm amazed anyone tries to contort today's result as anything other than a lucky escape that's what it was. It was painful viewing for the most part.

100%. Let's not kid ourselves on that it was anything else.

We only got a point because they tired in the last 15 and made a mistake. Utterly woeful.

1 minute ago, AyrAtlanta said:

There’s evidence that we’ve obviously looked ahead and been watching some guys last season in the signings of Pendlebury and Amartey. But the fact we’re just randomly enquiring about strikers from rivals shows that we haven’t planned ahead for Akinyemi leaving.

Why that is I don’t know but it means we’ll be scrambling about for a new number 9 which never really ends well.

They said that the plan this season is to have 3-4 players scoring 10 goals this season. 
They had replacements lined up to replace Dipo and lost out on all 3 to other teams in our league. 

Just now, BukyOHare said:

But some teams will have a larger pit and that makes a huge difference, especially in agreeing severance packages.

I still say we only lost Dipo yesterday, can anybody on here say 100% that he was always going to go?

How the club are actually supposed to have a suitable replacement tee'd up for today or even Tuesday baffles me.

Mathie basically said the opposite of those first two paragraphs last night. 

He said that no one really outspends anyone at this level. Said that Dundee Utd will likely have more this season but at the end of the day everyone is paying roughly the same for the majority of the squad. 

He also said that they expected him to leave. That why they tried to get Paton in April. 

Anyone who thought Akinyemi was ever staying is totally detached from reality. 

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

There’s a way of going about it though. Last night was the first time Mathie has irked me a wee bit as it felt like he was saying it was up to the fans as to whether we can sign good players. That’s not convincing anyone. There’s no doubt that the club should have seen record sales considering last season was our highest finish in years but I don’t think they took advantage of that. Obviously it’s hard when you come off the back of a 8-0 drubbing but the club going silent for large parts of the close season feels like it’s impacted how fans are looking ahead here. Fans want to be reassured that everything is going to be fine. Clubs need to communicate that but unfortunately without utilising their channels fans are left wondering what’s going on. 

You should have said that word for word last night. 😉

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

He said that no one really outspends anyone at this level. Said that Dundee Utd will likely have more this season but at the end of the day everyone is paying roughly the same for the majority of the squad. 

He also said that they expected him to leave. That why they tried to get Paton in April. 

Which explains the person you quoted. Perfectly.

I can't have that Dundee and Partick from last season, perhaps Caley too, weren't spending sizeably more in wages than we and others were.

One look at the difference in the respective squads tells you that along with their attendances.

Around the time of Gillingham's reported "offer" for Dipo I did wonder if he'd stay, not necessarily expecting it but certainly not ruling it out if that was what was being offered to us.

Just now, BukyOHare said:

You should have said that word for word last night. 😉

I think there’s a time and place for calling someone out and last night wasn’t it. I find that if you have constructive criticism or suggestions then you can get in touch with an email*. 

*which is what I chose to do in relation to season tickets and the lack of presence with regards to media but thanks for your suggestion 👍.

I think there’s a time and place for calling someone out and last night wasn’t it. I find that if you have constructive criticism or suggestions then you can get in touch with an email*. 

*which is what I chose to do in relation to season tickets and the lack of presence with regards to media but thanks for your suggestion 👍.

It wasn't a suggestion, merely tongue in cheek humour. Cheers. 👍

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Interested in how you get on. I reached out to the SLO by email and he responded speedily and passed my queries to the club. I'm yet to hear back.

7 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

One look at the difference in the respective squads tells you that along with their attendances.

Or it tells you that we’re not very good at assembling a squad?

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Interested in how you get on. I reached out to the SLO by email and he responded speedily and passed my queries to the club. I'm yet to hear back.

When was this? 

I got in touch about a month ago and was told that in terms of the highlights and media stuff that the club were aware that it hasn’t been good enough and were looking to recruit for it. 

Mathie said last night that if they get the person they are after then it should improve so I can only hope they’ve identified someone and are trying to get them in. 

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

How's that then?

No idea. You just said one look at their squads shows that they are better than ours. The club have said there is not much difference in budget. That can only mean we are not very good at it.