The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

22 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Where do we play Chalmers then?

On the right. Amartey will still be useful in a lot of games and we could do with another option for when Murphy can’t play. 

Fantastic display today, all the new players look like they have something to offer, Murphy a class above and the young players all looked more than capable.

Pitch superb and we played some great stuff on it, Yes, it's difficult to know what exactly we were up against but ultimately it was a great result , a great day and only positives could be taken today and many of them !!!

3 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I have to laugh at the vast majority of the posters on here. 2 weeks ago Reading was a liability and we urgently needed him binned. Now he’s fine and he’s not to be let go. Bryden just a few hours ago needed to be loaned out but now he looks fine for the championship. Also at the start of last season we were in mourning about Adeloye now he’s gone to Thistle he’s a lazy, No user. 

I give up with some people.

You can find what you want if you look for different takes from a variety of posters. 

Reading has started well, bar a couple of shaky moments today but there is still a long way to go for him to show he is good enough after last season. 

Bryden can quite clearly finish, which is the hardest aspect to learn for a striker and very impressive for his age. The other stuff will come as he develops. He still isn’t ready to be a starter for us all the time - development wise a loan is probably the best thing for him though instead of the odd start and bits off the bench for us. 

Anyway, today couldn’t have been much better. 

For those discussing Chalmers, he would be number ten style for me with that front three interchanging. 

I think early impressions of Amartey being raw were probably a bit harsh, he isn’t just all pace and can cut inside and link up too. 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

On the right. Amartey will still be useful in a lot of games and we could do with another option for when Murphy can’t play. 

Amartey has to start IMO, he brings something completely different that will terrify defences. An interchanging three in behind is the way to go for me!

Yes - I’m getting carried away at the thought of getting Chalmers 😂

Edited by No_Problemo

13 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Not against Charmers signing, but we have Murphy, McGeady,  Amartey, Rose, Ashford, Tomlinson (who impressed today) even at a push McKenzie who can play wide, if money is to be spent spend It on the fullback area that's the main concern for me.

Rose and McKenzie are strikers and Ashford is one of the reasons people wanted better wingers.

The situation has clearly seen a sea change, but you can hardly fault people for wanting yet another option out wide who isn't a headless chicken.

13 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Bryden just a few hours ago needed to be loaned out but now he looks fine for the championship.

It was very funny seeing people pile up to suggest Lowland League sides to lend a guy out to before he bags a double in a competitive fixture to make it three before the season proper has started.

15 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Also at the start of last season we were in mourning about Adeloye now he’s gone to Thistle he’s a lazy, No user.

Any Ayr supporter slagging off Adeloye right now needs to be thrown off a cliff before they do any damage.

4 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

2 different people on the SRE claiming they are ITK that Steven Fletcher is close to signing. Any ITK folk on here that can confirm or deny?

Given he could have stayed with Dundee United, it’s definitely one of the more unrealistic ones! 

I can’t see anything anywhere about the Chalmers comments but was Mathie maybe spoken to on Sportsound prior to the game? 

Seems odd that’s he’s come out and said we’re in for a player without a deal being done. 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I can’t see anything anywhere about the Chalmers comments but was Mathie maybe spoken to on Sportsound prior to the game? 

Seems odd that’s he’s come out and said we’re in for a player without a deal being done. 

It's coming off one random tweet, the guy has never posted any ITK stuff before.

Really impressed with Pendlebury.  Looked busy and comfortable with the ball.  Not sure if his goal caught a deflection or something as the keeper seemed wrong footed.  Bryden looks to have kicked on physically, so maybe loaning him out isn’t necessary.  Tough to judge given how poor Alloa were I suppose.  Don’t see Musonda getting back in the team, assuming he’s actually fit.  Stanger looked well worth his starting position.

Since I've been critical of Reading previously I will give credit where it's due and say that he was good today especially first half where he put in some excellent deliveries. Question remains if he can maintain that at Championship level but hopefully takes confidence from these games.

Also pleasing reaction from the full team to the disgraceful challenge on Tomlinson. It's tackles like that which put manager's off playing youngsters but he handled himself well.

45 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I have to laugh at the vast majority of the posters on here. 2 weeks ago Reading was a liability and we urgently needed him binned. Now he’s fine and he’s not to be let go. Bryden just a few hours ago needed to be loaned out but now he looks fine for the championship. Also at the start of last season we were in mourning about Adeloye now he’s gone to Thistle he’s a lazy, No user. 

Bryden proved himself against a mid-ranging league one side, I’d still put him out on loan, Alloa would do well to get him in for the season.

Reading did really well without having to do much defending, which is a problem area of his. 

but you’ll know all this judging by the smugness of your post 

50 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

It's going to be a long season if we get folk looking to say I told you so after every good game and other folk doing the same after every poor performance.

5 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I presume we threw on Ecrepont to push up his potential development fee?  He did look very young (and short!).

He’s signed a professional contract and he’s training with the first team so he was entitled to minutes today. Much like Tomlinson, if we had been winning 1 to 3 nil going in to the last 5, he wouldn’t have been on.

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

He’s signed a professional contract and he’s training with the first team so he was entitled to minutes today. Much like Tomlinson, if we had been winning 1 to 3 nil going in to the last 5, he wouldn’t have been on.

It’s pretty unusual to sub the keeper for the last 10 minutes though.  I presume the development fee goes up if the players has played for the first team.  

One excellent performance and result against a team from a league below doesn't mean we're the finished article, or indeed going on to top a group with a struggling Premiership team in it. 

It does mean that perhaps we're in better shape than a lot of us on here thought and hopefully heading in the right direction for the start of the league campaign next week.

Just like the sky isn't falling in after one bad result or performance, let's just take one game at a time and enjoy today without getting overly carried away.

At face value we've made a very positive start to the season and hopefully another right back won't be far away either to add some quality.

We'll know far more at this time next Saturday about where we are.