The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, GaryMc93 said:

I'm not the manager so you'll need to ask him. Although my original question could be directed at both the fans and Bullen.

Between Ahui and McGeady, nothing like writing a player off before they've even played 90 minutes.

I’m certainly not writing Ahui off.  A young player only signed 24 hours earlier thrown on in a panic because McAllister had lost the plot was always a gamble.  Walking straight into a yellow card didn’t help, as did the fact he wasn’t getting much help from anyone around him - Musonda looked very rusty in particular.

McGeady?  Yep, I’m pretty much writing him off.  Seems like we learned nothing from the Chris Maguire experience.  

9 hours ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Ayr weren't great but Morton were fuckin dire as well. Their two goals came from playing against 10 men (pendlebury was gubbed at that point) and Mcginty giving his bi-annual f**k up. It wasn't like we were outplayed for huge parts of the game. I thought we looked the better team in terms of playing football. All they did was hoofball. They were just  more aggressive and up for it. Got a feeling they'll be our bogey team this year.  We're not streetwise enough to play against a team whose gameplan is pure dark arts. Doubt the rest of the teams in the league are as brazenly cynical as they were so i'm not overly panicked. 

This is Wattoo level hysterical nonsense. Morton went long when Ayr's midfield successfully shut down the options for passes out of defence, but even when we did the gameplan was to win the second ball on the ground and pass through you on the deck, while we always played it out when we could. A team that's only capable of hoofball doesn't score goals as good as the first and third.

Complaining about another team indulging in dark arts and cynicism when Ayr's entire contribution to the first half was simply blootering any Morton player who came within 2 yards of them is a right laugh. The reason Ayr won twice at Cappielow last season was successfully turning the game into a physical battle in midfield and winning it, because Ayr were - and still are - far better equipped to win a game that descends into a scrap, being a much taller and more physical side, although we've gone some way to addressing that problem compared to last season by adding Broadfoot and Power. We won yesterday precisely because we played our way out of getting bogged down in scrappy head tennis, not because we won a battle like that.

I am amazed that people are shocked by yesterdays performance, we have had that type of performance in us for the last two years. 

We did well against Morton, Arbroath, Inverness and Raith, teams who played the same way we did and struggled against teams that kept the ball like Queens Park, Thistle and Dundee. 

Everyone moaned about the style of play and we have shifted to trying to play football. Unfortunately with the same players as last season. 

Morton are a limited, small squad who are well managed. We are not well managed and when Morton started to take a grip of the game, Bullen shat his pants like he so often does. Chucking on McGeady was a pointless exercise, we were getting overran, couldn't retain the ball so we brought on a winger. 

We play Inverness next week and there needs to be changes to the squad. 

We were pish yesterday and a well drilled Morton side took advantage.

I'm concerned about our inability to change games when it's clear we are under pressure and unable to get a grip on the game.

I'm hoping for better next week. I want to believe we will learn from that lesson Morton taught us. However, the way that game went was very similar to a lot of games last season so I'd say some lessons haven't been learnt.

I don't think we'll be in any danger towards the bottom this season. We have enough on the pitch to see us safe. 

2 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I’m certainly not writing Ahui off.  A young player only signed 24 hours earlier thrown on in a panic because McAllister had lost the plot was always a gamble.  Walking straight into a yellow card didn’t help, as did the fact he wasn’t getting much help from anyone around him - Musonda looked very rusty in particular.

McGeady?  Yep, I’m pretty much writing him off.  Seems like we learned nothing from the Chris Maguire experience.  

Why would you possibly write off someone based on twenty minutes who hasn’t played in nine months, made an impact a level up last season when he played, had a much better career than Maguire and isn’t a fat f**k. 

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

This is Wattoo level hysterical nonsense. Morton went long when Ayr's midfield successfully shut down the options for passes out of defence, but even when we did the gameplan was to win the second ball on the ground and pass through you on the deck, while we always played it out when we could. A team that's only capable of hoofball doesn't score goals as good as the first and third.

Complaining about another team indulging in dark arts and cynicism when Ayr's entire contribution to the first half was simply blootering any Morton player who came within 2 yards of them is a right laugh. The reason Ayr won twice at Cappielow last season was successfully turning the game into a physical battle in midfield and winning it, because Ayr were - and still are - far better equipped to win a game that descends into a scrap, being a much taller and more physical side, although we've gone some way to addressing that problem compared to last season by adding Broadfoot and Power. We won yesterday precisely because we played our way out of getting bogged down in scrappy head tennis, not because we won a battle like that.

Hysterical? f**k me, i'll add emojis next time to convey tone. I literally couldn't give a flying f**k. 

5 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

What are the odds on Aiden McGeady being interim manager of Ayr Inited before Christmas?

In McGeadys last piece he said he has very little interest in coaching although you could maybe see him helping out Davie White in the interim. 

We won’t be changing managers before December though and I think we would need to be bottom two for it to happen. 

19 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d imagine it was an act of desperation throwing him on to try and salvage something.

If you read any of McGeadys interviews then you’ll see what his remit is. It’s a learning opportunity for him where he’ll get to work on several different areas of the club. 

So he's on work experience?

10 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

What are the odds on Aiden McGeady being interim manager of Ayr Inited before Christmas?

https://www.footballcareers.com/news/aiden-mcgeady-on-his-new-dual-role-at-ayr-united/

100/1. He has no real interest in being a coach or a manager currently and from a player point of view watching a manager be sacked after finishing 2nd the year before would probably put him off further.

Yet again it's not the defeat that worries me but the manner of it. It was basically just a continuation of second half of last season and I've already aired my views many times on what I thought of that. I don't think we're relegation fodder, although I wouldn't rule it out just now, nor can I see us pushing for a top four either. If we just stagnate mid table for the whole season, being completely unremarkable...I'm not sure I could stand watching a full season of that.

5 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Work experience was great. Washing dishes and free food.

I did mine is Sainsburys. It was shite.

Also had very irresponsible managers who had 15 year old me signing off for deliveries to the warehouse😂.

ETA. I worked in shops after that when I left school and it was fine. Just hated that work experience.

Edited by AuAl

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d imagine it was an act of desperation throwing him on to try and salvage something.

If you read any of McGeadys interviews then you’ll see what his remit is. It’s a learning opportunity for him where he’ll get to work on several different areas of the club. 

It was 1-1 when McGeady came on.  Bullen said in his interview that he would have taken a point, particularly given how poor we’d been.  Wouldn’t that mindset lead you to put on Paul Smith to try and tighten up the midfield a bit?  Rather than throwing on a patently unfit McGeady in act of desperation/folly?  Just more evidence of Bullen’s muddled thinking for me.

And why we’re paying someone to provide them with a learning opportunity is baffling.  He must be be the most highly paid industrial placement in Scotland.  Does a club like Ayr really need a Chief Executive, Manager, Head of Recruitment, Youth Academy Head and now a Technical Director?  Feels like when Management Consultants come into my own work - they breed like bunny rabbits while delivering no additional value.

23 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Not even sure why people are making out it's a big deal if he didn't know what the job fully entails on his first day. I've started plenty jobs where I don't know exactly what I'll be doing, and that's despite having a job description.

2 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Does a club like Ayr really need a Chief Executive, Manager, Head of Recruitment, Youth Academy Head and now a Technical Director?  Feels like when Management Consultants come into my own work - they breed like bunny rabbits while delivering no additional value.

Funny how we have all this crap but we don't have an assistant manager. 

7 minutes ago, AuAl said:

I did mine is Sainsburys. It was shite.

Also had very irresponsible managers who had 15 year old me signing off for deliveries to the warehouse😂.

ETA. I worked in shops after that when I left school and it was fine. Just hated that work experience.

Do they still do work experience?