The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Always laugh when I see folk going on about the wait.  I have never waited more than 5 minutes for a drink in the Hub.  If you're smart enough and don't mind drinking bottles/cans/spirits, then just walk out to the beer garden and straight up to the outside bar that is always empty.  You find most folk waiting inside are getting these drinks.

As long as it's the rare time their card machine is working 🙄

2 hours ago, Thumper said:

I think you can argue that "kept the club as a going concern" is a fairly big deal, arguably more so than adding a pub that sells cider for £6 a pint after a twenty minute queue.

George Smith was the chairman who backed MacLeod when we were part time and oversaw the transition to full time football for the first time in the clubs history. He was also the chairman that allowed him to spend a fortune on some absolute dreck to replace the part time players. The 88-89 team was one of the most forgettable in the clubs history and The following chairmen had zero cash to play with. The also built the family stand, in which you can't see the pitch from half the seats. 

Bill Barr spent a fortune but hired the most dislikeable manager this side of David Hopkin. He built the hospitality suite which benefited the club for a couple of decades and backed the signings of some of the best players I have seen in an Ayr jersey. Fucked off and left us with a mountain of debt on the horizon. Debt that was a result of his management of the club. 

The Camerons. No idea how to run a football club and oversaw some of the darkest days of the club. Hired some brutal managers who signed, pound for pound, the worst players by concentration in the clubs history. His business background allowed the club to function while paying off debt and in hindsight, some of his decisions kept the club in a spiral for several years due to short term thinking. Hiring McCall when he did ultimately saved us from becoming a Clyde or Stirling Albion. He definitely saved the club in many ways. 

Smith has made some bad choices since he took over, all of them were solved by taking himself out of the firing line and installing Mathie. He came across as being very thin skinned and bullish in the early days and perhaps that was pressure. Building the hub aside, he has moved the club on from the latter part of the Cameron era, full time, professional football club operating  out of a decaying portacabin, to a far more organised business. renovating public areas like the shop and car park, the cladding on the outside of the main stand etc. The investment in infrastructure to support income and player development as well deserves a lot of credit and these things go unnoticed due to the new stand. 

You can't define his stewardship of the club as expensive cider and a 20 min wait to get it. 

24 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Can't say I have ever had a problem with the card machine out there, must be one of the lucky ones :lol:

Probably just bad luck but I've had too many shite times in there so I've just wrote it off as somewhere I don't go.  

40 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

You can't define his stewardship of the club as expensive cider and a 20 min wait to get it. 

You can define anything any way you want if you try hard enough.

Anyway, obviously the crowning glory of Smith's reign is not the surge at the bar. But I don't think it's quite time yet to declare him Bestest Chairman In The Entire History Of The World. As you said, it's not as if any of the previous regimes didn't dig deep into their pockets for club facilities, nor for playing staff.

2 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

Always laugh when I see folk going on about the wait.  I have never waited more than 5 minutes for a drink in the Hub.  If you're smart enough and don't mind drinking bottles/cans/spirits, then just walk out to the beer garden and straight up to the outside bar that is always empty.  You find most folk waiting inside are getting these drinks.

You could also stand underneath the guttering with your mouth open, which would be even cheaper.

I am sitting in the house and getting shivers thinking about how fucking baltic it was the last time I skipped the queue by going outside.

Edited by Thumper

2 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

The big brain option is to buy your cans and bottles elsewhere and drink them in the cemetery down the road. Cheaper and no waiting time.

16 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Rather than a Musonda kit, or maybe as well as. The club could commission a yellow top with 9 Annand on the back as a fundraiser for his charity. 

IMG_3269.thumb.jpeg.cfa65e4c72188c977521c93058148d9c.jpeg

I second this. Would be an excellent idea. 

Would also go some way to making up for the fact he was brought out 15 minutes before kick off the other day when no-one was around.

11 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Taken from the Mitch meets Eddie Annand post on Facebook-it was what he wanted

IMG_2685.png

Ah, fair enough. My bad.

Probably should have considered that might have been the reasoning before getting myself annoyed about it.