The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Sad to say it but we really need a rebuild - again.

This one is clearly not working and the question about whether the manager is included in that I’m sure will be made in the next couple of matches.

By my reckoning Bullen has two must win games coming up or I can see him being binned.

The table looks scary, and the best we can hope for is pulling out a win every 3 games to keep our head above water, just.

In my opinion, regardless how good or bad the table looks, we are in a relegation fight for sure this season and must act accordingly, before it’s too late.

I just watched Bullen's post match, some points to note:

He apologised to the travelling fans for the 13 minute spell where we conceded 3 goals.

Frankie will be back for Peterhead

Ahui has been carrying a knock for a couple of weeks which flared up hence McAllister got rushed back. He will be back for Peterhead.

Bullen actually praised Ecrepont said he did well at right back and then as left sided centre back. 

Edited by Trogdor

15 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I just watched Bullen's post match, some points to note:

He apologised to the travelling fans for the 13 minute spell where we conceded 3 goals.

Frankie will be back for Peterhead

Ahui has been carrying a knock for a couple of weeks which flared up hence McAllister got rushed back. He will be back for Peterhead.

Bullen actually praised Ecrepont said he did well at right back and then as left sided centre back. 

He went from wearing the poppy too high to wearing it too low.

Can't be arsed watching those goals back yet. The defending was atrocious, all over the place. At points, it genuinely looked like it was unclear who was meant to track who on the pitch. The space that the caley players received in the final third was really alarming.

Quite a few of our squad just simply aren't good enough for the level, and that's on Bullen for not prioritising improving those areas - but to me it was also evident through how chaotic the defending was that there must be a real lack of communication about the way we intend to set up and approach the game. 

The inability to change things is my biggest gripe about Bullens tactics. Often, it is abundantly clear to everyone how the game is going but we very rarely do anything to rectify the situation - we don't do anything that works at least. It's so frustrating to watch.

You know that stage where you simply cannot be arsed with a manager any more and no matter what he does, he's not going to win you back over? 

We were very average last season but had an excellent chance to reach a national cup semi and get promoted and chucked both away in disgraceful fashion. He deserved a chance to go again this season and it is clear that we have regressed, still a long ball outfit with multiple players in our starting XI that are miles off it at this level. 

I saw a stat this week that said in top level football a goal is scored from roughly one in every 29 corners (increasingly from short corners). Got to think our rate of successfully defending corners and other crosses is poorer.

24 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

The defending at those goals was a shambles. One of them, the whole defence stands and watches while Murphy runs 40 yards past them to try and block a cross. Reading is on the right wing at one point.

I don't know how so many players can be so shit at the same time. 

At this point you have to question if the players themselves know what they’re supposed to be doing. It was the same last week where half of them just look lost. 

This isn’t absolving the players of responsibility but when so many of them are selling the jerseys or looking lost then it has to come back to the management. 

Persisting with Reading, McGinty and McCallister, 3 out of the 4 primarily starters in defence last year was not a smart move. They showed last year at times they couldn’t keep hens out of a midden so I have no idea why we have repeated the same plan this season. I thought last year the best we looked was when Musonda and Kirk were at centre half.

If we want to be in a relegation scrap/bottom 5 clubs in the division then those 3 are fine, but if the club are to have any ambition we need to replace them.

2 minutes ago, Andy_AUFC said:

Persisting with Reading, McGinty and McCallister, 3 out of the 4 primarily starters in defence last year was not a smart move. They showed last year at times they couldn’t keep hens out of a midden so I have no idea why we have repeated the same plan this season. I thought last year the best we looked was when Musonda and Kirk were at centre half.

If we want to be in a relegation scrap/bottom 5 clubs in the division then those 3 are fine, but if the club are to have any ambition we need to replace them.

Are all three out of contract at the end of the season?

I wouldn't renew any of their deals. A clear out in defence is needed.

To be fair to the defence, we basically play a 4-2-4 with two very inexperienced central midfielders. You need a specific type of defender that it’s very good one v one to play in a system as attacking as that. When Stanger is removed from that defence, it is utterly fucked… 

Again it comes back to the recruitment versus playing style issue.