The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

47 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Aye, I'd argue that the our wildly inconsistent form and ability to completely bottle every big game in the last couple of years (other than that night in Inverness), has been more detrimental to the general interest in the club from supporters outwith all of us core supporters than it would be to have a manager that is less interested in "community" aspects.

I'm all for community engagement and increasing the image of the club, but the best way to do that is by winning games. Fair weather fans may look kindly on the club if we're doing good stuff out with football, but I don't see them buying season tickets if it's clear we are rotten to watch on the pitch.

Give us a manager that knows how to win games.

This.

You can spend every waking hour trying to engage with the community, but you are simply swimming against the tide if the team are going backwards

Just now, No_Problemo said:

We sacked a manager and are looking to appoint a new one and haven’t heard a thing from the guy who runs the football side of the club…

As I said before, last time Mathie was clear about updating throughout in terms of the progress, a timeline and what they were looking for etc. If you previously set a standard, then people will look for that to be matched. A singular update with a timeline would be absolutely fine - are they waiting on applications, are they tweeting people, when are they interviewing people etc etc. 

I don’t see why that’s a particularly difficult thing to do over an entire week, and it isn’t much to ask for. 

The problem with releasing timelines publicly is that you can back yourself into a corner if you A - haven’t found the right person by that point or B - someone actually good becomes interested at the last minute.

Fair point that he did it last time round but there was also a bit more time for it back then. It was the end of December rather than the end of January a week before the transfer window closes. 

As said - they can do all the work in the world off the park but success on it is what gets folk coming back. 

Tomorrow is a good example with the kids teams offer - my sons 2015s team have most of their squad going- he and one other have season tickets so would probably go anyway, there's 2 others who go semi regularly but looking at the list of names I think it will be the first time at Somerset for a few of them and maybe even the first ever live game attended for one. 

What a difference it might make with regards to nagging mum and dad to go back if tomorrow sees a good comfortable home win and  couple of goals to cheer with their pals etc rather than a miserable 0-1 defeat with no noise from the crowd other than grumbles / boos etc.  

Edited by Hursty

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

The problem with releasing timelines publicly is that you can back yourself into a corner if you A - haven’t found the right person by that point or B - someone actually good becomes interested at the last minute.

Fair point that he did it last time round but there was also a bit more time for it back then. It was the end of December rather than the end of January a week before the transfer window closes. 

I get that to some extent, but a vague timeline would be fine. Plus the closer we get to the end of January panic will set in around the window with the state of the side. Saying what I have before - there is probably a good chance there’ll be an update tomorrow given media teams etc will be at Somerset. 

The issue a new manager has is that they will be going into a pretty horrible run straight away. If they come in after QP, you could easily be looking at four games without a win straight away. 

9 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

What does this even mean?

What are people expecting them to say right now that would satisfy everyone? If it had been weeks then yes you’d expect some sort of update but it’s been 4 days. Clubs don’t tend to keep supporters updated with every step of appointing a a manager. Putting loads of info in the public domain while the process is still ongoing generally isn’t a good idea.

It’s also not their responsibility to release a denial statement in response to some rumours floating about on Pie and Bovril. We’re not Rangers.

I’ve said it already but I don’t understand the clamour for statements/updates every 5 minutes that goes on in this thread sometimes.

If a player is injured, just drops out the squad, it’s a fallout within days, the manager is a p***k, McGeady instigated it, he’s poison. There is a rift in the dressing room

Its the same here, Bullen gets punted, a brief statement gets put out saying he’s gone, wish him well, we have started a recruitment process but feel free to apply. Condemn the support for awful abuse. 
Then a quick, David Whyte will be in charge on Saturday. 
No interview in the local press, nothing from The club further. No timeline, no brief on what we are looking for. 

If they come out and say, we hope to have someone in place for the visit of Queens Park next Saturday, folk calm down a bit, the only question people have is who. 

They don’t have to give daily updates. They key to good updates when you don’t want to give too much away is to give enough information that it doesn’t ask more questions, to not look like you are hiding something and to give you enough time to make headway before more questions start. 
Saying next to f**k all rarely works and it just makes people nervous. 

There is a lot to be said about how professional a club wants to come across, and how confident they are that they will find the right candidate within a timeframe set by them.

You could hang around forever waiting for someone better to come along.

Be bold, show strength.

As Uncle Ian always said - plucky wee Ayr - we need dump that and compete with the bigger boys, at least in attitude if nothing else.

47 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

It would be some story arc for Bryson. 

I’d love Bryson to get it as he really has the club at heart and has put a lot of work in personally and professionally. 
Maybe working with a Boyer or McCall first would help though. 

Seeing these mad names on the list reminds me of trying to get myself added to the McBookie list to replace Roberts.  

Spoiler

Screenshot_20240119-130042.thumb.png.d8406f359454d9fb0ca17599824265e4.png

Although the names were certainly much more depressing until Neil Lennon gave Lachlan a call. 

It's clear that the silence reflects how the recruitment is going. We cannot expect anyone from the top half of the "short list", anyone decent enough with own ideas and financial expectations is going to run a mile. Might have been a different story 12 months ago. I now expect someone nobody has mentioned to take the job , possibly someone nobody has even heard of, that will be keen to put a step on the cv. I pray to be proved wrong. 

1 hour ago, Iain said:

I think if communication was generally good then people would be more patient. The fact they've struggled a bit in that area lately means many people will simply transfer their existing overall negative impression to making stuff up.

FTFY

8 minutes ago, Only me... said:

It's clear that the silence reflects how the recruitment is going. We cannot expect anyone from the top half of the "short list", anyone decent enough with own ideas and financial expectations is going to run a mile. Might have been a different story 12 months ago. I now expect someone nobody has mentioned to take the job , possibly someone nobody has even heard of, that will be keen to put a step on the cv. I pray to be proved wrong. 

I looked for 52 year olds who have a better ppg than Bullen and have arrived at Adrian Pennock

6 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I looked for 52 year olds who have a better ppg than Bullen and have arrived at Adrian Pennock

Good find! Had 2 years at Welling United. We all know someone who played for them. Get the Glendinning phone ringing. 

29 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

If Mathie is the one telling managers that he signs the players, could he fucking get a move on and sign someone.

Classic catch 22, the Ayr Utd way. Players won't sign until they see who the manager/ess/they/them signs and the manager won't sign as he can't sign players.

3 hours ago, Thumper said:

This is just absolute nonsense. McCall might not have been touring every assisted living facility in the country but he is famous for getting involved in everything possible regarding running a club. As already mentioned, one very specific example of this in managing to hunt the media-starved clown that is currently serving as stadium announcer.

When he was at Partick my mate called the ticket office one day to find out where his Ayr ticket had gone and it was McCall that answered it. He now has a signed envelope.

The sign of a good manager is hiring capable or better people for certain tasks and letting them crack on with it. Ultimately the results land with you but no need to interfere if things are running well. Bullen was stuck up here away from family and friends so perhaps doing everything filled his time up.  Other managers may have a different take on how much they complete

50 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

If Mathie is the one telling managers that he signs the players, could he fucking get a move on and sign someone.

If Mathie is the one telling managers that he signs players, could he fucking get a move on and just f**k off.

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

What does this even mean?

What are people expecting them to say right now that would satisfy everyone? If it had been weeks then yes you’d expect some sort of update but it’s been 4 days. Clubs don’t tend to keep supporters updated with every step of appointing a a manager. Putting loads of info in the public domain while the process is still ongoing generally isn’t a good idea.

It’s also not their responsibility to release a denial statement in response to some rumours floating about on Pie and Bovril. We’re not Rangers.

I’ve said it already but I don’t understand the clamour for statements/updates every 5 minutes that goes on in this thread sometimes.

I am looking for Mathie to front up and at least broach the situation. Could easily do a ten minute video with Calum fawning for half of it. Doesn't need to go into specifics around timelines and applicants but some sort of communication would buy time for a bit