The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I’d need to reserve judgement until I see the highlights because the perspective from the SRE is a bit odd at times, but my gut feeling is that we need to add a goalkeeper to our summer shopping list.

I've thought for a while that goalkeeper is a position we could do better in. It hasn't been anywhere near as much of a matter of urgency as the defence and midfield have been though.

Albinson and Mutch aint it.

4 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I’d need to reserve judgement until I see the highlights because the perspective from the SRE is a bit odd at times, but my gut feeling is that we need to add a goalkeeper to our summer shopping list.

It looked from the SRE like it was two howlers but we'll need to wait for the Dundee United media team's highlights tomorrow morning (or ours on Wednesday)

I think Charlie will be away come the regardless what we think of him. He made a great save in the first half to deny Moult so swings and roundabouts. 

Syla, Dempsey, Reading and Stanger were big positives today. Four players who were a bit hit or miss this season but did really well today. Stanger managing to get sent off without actually committing a foul is some going. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Syla, Dempsey, Reading and Stanger were big positives today. Four players who were a bit hit or miss this season but did really well today. Stanger managing to get sent off without actually committing a foul is some going.

Definitely my four standouts. My biggest criticism of Dempsey has been him not getting stuck in and letting the game pass him by but he was everywhere today. Reading is back to linking up well with Murphy like he was in the League Cup.

Just now, 1nickydevlin said:

Albinson pulled off two great saves 1st half.

He did. From my angle the first one was going wide anyway but it's still needed to be saved. 

Fraser Bryden was my man of the match today. His work rate and pressing was huge, also back saving the defense many times with some meaty tackles. Looks much stronger under instruction from Brown, as does McKenzie.

Mcgeady needs to hang up the boots. Can't keep giving the ball away.  Didn't see enough of the new guys to rate, but McHugh looks like he has a bit about him. 

That kind of fight today will see us past most teams in this league. How we get past the refs, God only knows. 

Just now, Superhursty7 said:

Wasn't there today but sounds like a lot more positives than negatives, how did the new guys look?

I won't say any of them came out with flying colours although you can say lack of game time has to do with that.

Much better today, thought we looked fairly dangerous whenever we went forward and were able to defend well in the first half but we've conceded 2 poor goals that have cost us the game and we need to cut that out if we want to get clear of the bottom.

Just now, Superhursty7 said:

how did the new guys look?

McHugh - I think he'll do well for us, looks to have a bit about him and was able to carry us forward a few times but didn't look up to the speed of the game.

Sanders - not convinced as he looked a bit shaky but I don't think he's played much recently so hopefully he can get some minutes in some reserve matches.

Willoughby - didn't do much

Will be reserving further judgement until they've had a few games though.

1 minute ago, Superhursty7 said:

Wasn't there today but sounds like a lot more positives than negatives, how did the new guys look?

They made as much of an impact as the players that left did. We were under the cosh when they came on and none of them changed much, Sanders coming on for McCallister made us worse because we had Stanger at right back. 
All 3 came on at a difficult time so I wouldn’t say any were poor. They had nice touches on isolation but other than that, a bit meh. 

6 minutes ago, Superhursty7 said:

Hard to tell as we were under pressure. Willoughby didn’t touch the ball more than a couple of times, Sanders is massive but I think he’s a bit rash, looks like he might help with regards to set plays in both boxes though and McHugh had a couple nice touches and runs playing on the right of midfield but sitting a bit narrower. I’d be interested how he does at full back as I thought McAllister was our main weak link today. 

That's the best game at Somerset I've seen since the early Dipo days.

Performance and atmosphere was night and day compared to last couple months of Bullen...

Our ability to score is the only reason we lost that today, good play on the wings with numerous good deliveries but nobody there. Dowds was good at hold up and knock ons but it's apparent he can't do that as well as score. 

Defence was rock solid until McAllister had to go off and then it seemed to go to shit. Sanders seemed to be rather unconvincing but hopefully that was just due to being flung in at the deep end and probably lacking match fitness. 

Going into the last 25 minutes it seemed that we were running out of puff which shows how much the players gave and Brown expects from them.

When McGinty missed that sitter from 3 yards out I had a bad feeling at the way things were going to pan out. Difficult to see from SRE but looks like Albinson was at fault for both goals albeit Docherty's seemed like a neat finish. 

Not overly worried about remainder of the season if Brown can keep getting Performances out of them like today. If we do we'll do what Morton did today and give someone a doing, think Chalmers was probably a missing link today in the final third. 

Onwards and upwards and hope we just don't get battered next week to dip confidence. 

Just need to all stick behind Brown and the players as today showed it can be a much better place when we do that 

I haven't read back everyone's comments. I will do so now.

In spite of the result I enjoyed the game today. We moved it about very well and got a glimpse of the patient possession style that Brown is looking to instill.

I thought it was harsh on us after all we had put into the game. I thought we were worthy of a draw but football doesn't work like that.

I thought Paddy had a very good game (that is high praise as it's fair to say I am not his biggest fan).

I'd need to see the two goals we conceded to understand what happened. The first, Bryden loses the ball and McGinty? (just seems to let the forward turn and shoot) and it ends up going under Charlie. The second I couldn't believe it ending up going in but I have no recollection of how it did.

The bringing McGeady on needs to stop. WTF was he doing? The referee blew his whistle for a free kick and then he decides to play on doing some skill moves and loses possession. We gain no advantage but he gets to showboat. Get Amartey on ahead of him please.

Tactically we had it pretty spot on.

Big Dowds is itching for a goal if he gets one he'll start scoring freely again. Still led the line very well.

I thought McKenzie linked the play up well today.

Murphy's goal was lovely.

Somerset Boab can get in the bin announcing that Dowds was to go off when he wasn't. He's murder.

I felt we deserved more. Our porous defence remains a worry. Play like that and we'll be safe of relegation though. We didn't seem to lose well under Bullen, if you know what I mean! In Brown we trust.

As for the referee. How Sibbald wasn't on a yellow in the first half I'll never know. A good half a dozen challenges where he didn't get the ball. 

Edited by Trogdor
Added comment on the ref

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

McCallister had a Ahui at Morton type performance today, he got stuck in and took an absolute kicking for the cause but was rinsed about 10 times. 

Don’t recall that at all to be honest.  Thought the defence played well and McAllister going off was the trigger for the defence suddenly looking very shaky. McAllister is limited and not the long term answer, but struggling to see how anyone could have major complaints with his performance today.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

I haven't read back everyone's comments. I will do so now.

In spite of the result I enjoyed the game today. We moved it about very well and got a glimpse of the patient possession style that Brown is looking to instill.

I thought it was harsh on us after all we had put into the game. I thought we were worthy of a draw but football doesn't work like that.

I thought Paddy had a very good game (that is high praise as it's fair to say I am not his biggest fan).

I'd need to see the two goals we conceded to understand what happened. The first, Bryden loses the ball and McGinty? (just seems to let the forward turn and shoot) and it ends up going under Charlie. The second I couldn't believe it ending up going in but I have no recollection of how it did.

The bringing McGeady on needs to stop. WTF was he doing? The referee blew his whistle for a free kick and then he decides to play on doing some skill moves and loses possession. We gain no advantage but he gets to showboat. Get Amartey on ahead of him please.

Tactically we had it pretty spot on.

Big Dowds is itching for a goal if he gets one he'll start scoring freely again. Still led the line very well.

I thought McKenzie linked the play up well today.

Murphy's goal was lovely.

Somerset Boab can get in the bin announcing that Dowds was to go off when he wasn't. He's murder.

I felt we deserved more. Our porous defence remains a worry. Play like that and we'll be safe of relegation though. We didn't seem to lose well under Bullen, if you know what I mean! In Brown we trust.

I thought I’d dreamed Dowds going off. About 5 min later I saw him win a header and thought, McHugh looks a lot like Dowds. He lost interest in the half time shootout half way through as well