The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Delighted for Bryden to get a goal yesterday. I think you can slowly see signs of improvement in him since Brown came in. Lee Bullen obviously loved him but there was zero development on show since he made his debut against Arbroath about two years ago

The lad needs to bulk up a bit and he might just be our no 9 in a season or so .

2 hours ago, Nelson said:

Brown’s interview certainly seems to confirm that he consciously chose to fill the team with runners.  Can’t argue with the logic in many respects.   Murphy is a good player who doesn’t have the legs to play wide of a midfield 4, particularly away from home.  Dempsey hasn’t been at the races for a while now.  Don’t know what the script is with Chalmers, but he is probably the one player who hasn’t reacted at all to Brown.  Maybe he’s signed a pre-contract elsewhere,  or maybe Brown just isn’t able to live with the compromise of increasingly occasional flashes of quality but a general lack of work rate and defensive ability..  McGinty is the only one who I think is really hard done by - one mistake after months of consistency and he’s dropped.

Can’t argue with the result though, but I doubt we’ll get away with that approach very often.

On the piece about Chalmers , he says in his interview that Chalmers is carrying a knock j

Massive result yesterday. That now probably means we are going to be safe. I think 40 points will be enough and we are only a couple of wins away from that. All things considered I am just relieved we are going to survive, now let’s not make the same mistakes for next season.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

This thread when Dempsey drops his 100th subpar performance in a row - 😡

The same people on this thread when Dempsey finally gets dropped - 😡

Bit of time on the bench might do him good but never been convinced by him. McGinty and Musonda are interchangeable for me too.

It was the Bryden, McKenzie for Chalmers and Murphy that raised the most eyebrows I think but yesterday shows that Brown actually has a plan even if we don't agree with it.

I've actually got high hopes for a big improvement next season.

Spoiler

It's the hope that kills you.

4 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

Bit of time on the bench might do him good but never been convinced by him. McGinty and Musonda are interchangeable for me too.

It was the Bryden, McKenzie for Chalmers and Murphy that raised the most eyebrows I think but yesterday shows that Brown actually has a plan even if we don't agree with it.

I've actually got high hopes for a big improvement next season.

Its all about the budget . If we free up the funds in the summer we could be in for a big season . The new stand will be open and the hospitality bucks will be flowing into the coffers .

4 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

Its all about the budget . If we free up the funds in the summer we could be in for a big season . The new stand will be open and the hospitality bucks will be flowing into the coffers .

Can't imagine we will make much of a dent into the bonus Scottish Cup money as well so he really should be able to go get who he wants.  

46 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

On the piece about Chalmers , he says in his interview that Chalmers is carrying a knock j

Would be interesting to know how long he’s been carrying the problem.  He’s been off the pace since before Christmas, but you’d think a knock that’s serious enough to affect him for this length of time would require some kind of rest/rehab.  Naming him as a sub who can’t manage 30 minutes for us seems a bit pointless.  If I’m honest, I just don’t think Brown fancies him that much.  It’s a shame as he’s got obvious quality, but his reputation for inconsistency is well earned.  I thought it would be a no-brainier that we’d offer him terms in the summer, but I’m not at all sure now.

Not sure how up to date market place is but according to that we only have Stanger, Dempsey, Syla, Murphy, McGeady, Guthrie, Tomlinson and Bryden signed up for next year, I think Mutch may be as well but it does not say, going to be a hell of a rebuild next season

6 minutes ago, Superhursty7 said:

Not sure how up to date market place is but according to that we only have Stanger, Dempsey, Syla, Murphy, McGeady, Guthrie, Tomlinson and Bryden signed up for next year, I think Mutch may be as well but it does not say, going to be a hell of a rebuild next season

McKenzie is signed too.  I’m sure Rose was quoted as a 2 year deal too, but not 100% on that.

8 minutes ago, Superhursty7 said:

Robbie Mutch

Sean McGinty

George Stanger

Ben Dempsey

Aiden McGeady

Jamie Murphy

Roy Syla

Scott Tomlinson

Ahkeem Rose

Mark McKenzie 

Max Guthrie

Fraser Bryden

Lucas McRoberts

9 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Robbie Mutch

Sean McGinty

George Stanger

Ben Dempsey

Aiden McGeady

Jamie Murphy

Roy Syla

Scott Tomlinson

Ahkeem Rose

Mark McKenzie 

Max Guthrie

Fraser Bryden

Lucas McRoberts

He's going to have to get his finest jobby polish and chamois out to make a team out that crew. I think McGeady will hang the boots up at the end of the season so that might give us a wee bit more cash to play with too.

We really need to get business done early instead of falling into the previous seasons trap of picking up scraps.

Sitting on the train after partying hard till 3am on the back of seeing us beat Inverness away for the first time in my life, having missed the three previous occasions. 

Whatever the future holds for Scott Brown I'll always remember his bold team selection and crucial three points secured this weekend. 

Right, I'm away back to stupidly grin at miserable Hearts fans in this carriage... 

Edited by AYRSHIRE_ANGUS

1 minute ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Sitting on the train after partying hard till 3am on the back of seeing us beat Inverness away for the first time in my life, having missed the three previous occasions. 

Whatever the future holds for Scott Brown I'll always remember his bold team selection and crucial three points secured this weekend. 

Right, I'm away back to stupidly grin at miserable Hearts fans in carriage... 

Scott Brown has made a few bold as f**k team selections now and has a good success rate with them. We should really learn to stop questioning him. 

Hands in the air - guilty as hell for questioning that team selection but happy that injuries, tactics and secrecy (🤫) were a major factor in Broonie's thinking. I'd have been happy with a point and not surprised by a defeat so massive credit to the boys who played and, by all accounts, gave it 100% effort. Pretty certain the manager will demand nothing less in every game (as was his style as a player) - reckon that bar is one he'll want maintained. COYA    

42 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Scott Brown has made a few bold as f**k team selections now and has a good success rate with them. We should really learn to stop questioning him. 

It's like we actually scout the opposition and have a game plan, look he's not going to get it right every time but 5 wins out of 8 league games is not a bad start.

5 hours ago, Nelson said:

Brown’s interview certainly seems to confirm that he consciously chose to fill the team with runners.  Can’t argue with the logic in many respects.   Murphy is a good player who doesn’t have the legs to play wide of a midfield 4, particularly away from home.  Dempsey hasn’t been at the races for a while now.  Don’t know what the script is with Chalmers, but he is probably the one player who hasn’t reacted at all to Brown.  Maybe he’s signed a pre-contract elsewhere,  or maybe Brown just isn’t able to live with the compromise of increasingly occasional flashes of quality but a general lack of work rate and defensive ability..  McGinty is the only one who I think is really hard done by - one mistake after months of consistency and he’s dropped.

Can’t argue with the result though, but I doubt we’ll get away with that approach very often.

This is a complete myth btw. 

I don’t think anyone can question that Chalmers doesn’t run about a lot but he hasn’t got a defensive thought in his head when we don’t have the ball. Thats almost as bad when you expect everyone to be defending from the front. I like Chalmers, I think he’s a good player but I wouldn’t be spunking a load of money on him for next season as I think over the course of a season he doesn’t do enough. 

29 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think anyone can question that Chalmers doesn’t run about a lot but he hasn’t got a defensive thought in his head when we don’t have the ball. Thats almost as bad when you expect everyone to be defending from the front. I like Chalmers, I think he’s a good player but I wouldn’t be spunking a load of money on him for next season as I think over the course of a season he doesn’t do enough. 

If you look at the players you would classify as the best attacking midfielders in the league:

Thomas: 8 goals, 6 assists - 29 played. 

Easton: 7 goals, 3 assists - 29 played. 

Fitzpatrick: 6 goals, 4 assists - 27 played. 

Middleton: 3 goals, 11 assists- 29 played. 

Lawless: 4 goals, 8 assists - 29 played. 

Logan Chalmers: seven goals, four assists with only 21 played. 

He does as much, if not more numbers wise than every player who is considered to be the best in the league. 

Yeah, he needs to produce more consistently but I would be doing everything we can to keep him. We certainly won’t be upgrading on him, that’s for sure! Any decent manager should be getting a good amount out of someone with his ability. 

I have absolutely no interest anymore in watching a football team with runners out wide, as opposed to those who are actually enjoyable to watch. Fair enough this season as we just need to stay up, but it’s not something I want to see very often next season.