The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I think the fact that so many folk were trying to get the ball off Willoughby tells me that Dowds was supposed to be on penalties. Musonda even said something to Willoughby before he took it. 

It’s not a good look but if Willoughby had missed you can guarantee he’d have been subbed at half time and wouldn’t have been seen again. 

Just now, North Terrace Gazza said:

On the penalty stuff. Willoughby took the first well and Dowds got lucky with his. In that showing Willoughby should be our penalty taker 

If he's not the assigned taker and he's literally taken the ball off Dowds he shouldn't. Pretty arrogant of him.

Just now, North Terrace Gazza said:

On the penalty stuff. Willoughby took the first well and Dowds got lucky with his. In that showing Willoughby should be our penalty taker 

Willoughby looks like a natural finisher based on that penalty and the goals he scored against Partick. I’d keep him in the team for now as I think he’ll get one or two more before the season is out. 

Just now, Scott-ish said:

Should probably have PK taker sorted before the game starts but quite encouraging to have 2 strikers that both wanted it and stuck them away.

Unlikely it wasn't. Can't imagine Brown would have been too happy about it.

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Unlikely it wasn't. Can't imagine Brown would have been too happy about it.

Yeah It looked like Dowds was meant to be on them. We don't have a regular pk taker so it's good to see them both score. Murphy and Dempsey have been taking them with varying success in the past, interesting to see they've been stood down.

The combination of this week against Arbroath and next week against Dundee Utd may have influenced Broonie's selection in leaving out Chalmers (knowing he wouldn't be able to play him next week). He certainly keeps us all guessing regarding selection but can't argue with that performance today - 5 different scorers and no goals against. Okay, okay - the opposition played like a team already down and with nothing to play for but we've not had an easy ride against Arbroath for a long while. Reckon we'll get something out of the next game or two and I'm not worried about the teams around us. The only disappointment for me is knowing we would probably be in the play-offs with this management team in place at the start of the season. Oh well - new stand, new team; next season can't come quick enough. COYA   

Struggling to comprehend how a situation occurs around penalties when there is a pre arranged agreement. Especially when Scott Brown is the boss. Leads to me to believe there maybe wasn’t a prearrangement. Which is worrying.

1 hour ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Done really well to skip past 2 Arbroath players before squaring to Dowds. Thought he looked lively when he came on.

Don’t even bother replying to him. He has some sort of weird agenda against Chalmers.

Overall a very enjoyable performance and result. 6 points clear off 9th with 3 games to go should surely be enough. 

41 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think the fact that so many folk were trying to get the ball off Willoughby tells me that Dowds was supposed to be on penalties. Musonda even said something to Willoughby before he took it. 

It’s not a good look but if Willoughby had missed you can guarantee he’d have been subbed at half time and wouldn’t have been seen again. 

Murphy was on them, Dowds had to convince Murphy who basically said he didn't care. 

10 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Don’t even bother replying to him. He has some sort of weird agenda against Chalmers.

Overall a very enjoyable performance and result. 6 points clear off 9th with 3 games to go should surely be enough. 

Eh? An agenda against a player because I didn’t think he did much when he came on? Tap in aside of course. 

I make no apologies for not buying into the hype around him. I think he massively flatters to deceive and isn’t worth moving mountains to get him on a permanent deal. 

Chalmers was poor when he came on, I think that was more due to McGeady than Chalmers though.  

P.s. I love Logan Chalmers 

I would guess the penalty drama at the first one is because every striker who's ever been fouled for a penalty thinks he should get to take it. At the second one I think it's probably a sign that they don't respect Arbroath's chances to come back so it's not a 'normal' situation.

1 minute ago, Iain said:

I would guess the penalty drama at the first one is because every striker who's ever been fouled for a penalty thinks he should get to take it. At the second one I think it's probably a sign that they don't respect Arbroath's chances to come back so it's not a 'normal' situation.

I’m not bothered if players who back themselves to score them are arguing about taking them. Especially when they then score them. 

Sanders running 40 yards to square go a player in his own team, who’s already spotted the ball ready to take one is perhaps something we don’t need.

the massive gormless fanny 

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Eh? An agenda against a player because I didn’t think he did much when he came on? Tap in aside of course. 

I make no apologies for not buying into the hype around him. I think he massively flatters to deceive and isn’t worth moving mountains to get him on a permanent deal. 

You just always seem to be criticising him. For me he’s a very, very good winger at this level. I highly doubt we’ll get better if he goes in the summer which I suspect he will.

As I’ve said before I’m 100% a card carrying Logan Chalmers fanboy so maybe I’m blinkered. 

For me there’s 3 basic options with Chalmers.

a) He just isn’t the player I thought he was last season and maybe showed up well in a team that was playing with a lot of confidence at that point.

b) He’s genuinely carrying an injury of some sort and the whole “bruised bone” thing isn’t just an excuse to cover up how poor he’s been for months now.

c) He’s already signed a pre-contract elsewhere and has lost interest a bit.

Hard to judge from today as Arbroath were hopeless with the game being played out as a training game by the time Chalmers came on.  The suggestion he showed his class during that 20 minutes seems pretty debatable.

I’d honestly be surprised if we offered him a contract in the Summer, assuming that’s even still an option.