The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Utdtillidie2 said:

This was my first game, September 1988. Look at the size of the crowd for a league game v Dunfermline!

The game where our run at the 1st Division following the 87/88 2nd Division title win came to a grinding halt. 2-0 up and coasting until a season ending injury to Cally let Dunfermline back into it and we never really challenged again.

Great crowds in those days on the back of one of Ayr’s most entertaining ever teams. Templeton was a delight to watch - what a pass for Sludden’s goal. Joe Love and Brian Ross didn’t really improve the previous year’s team - remember Ross getting hooked after about 20 minutes against someone. Dunfermline were an annoying team full of wanks like Bobby Smith John Watson and Ross Jack - half the team were called Smith from memory.

2 hours ago, Utdtillidie2 said:

This was my first game, September 1988. Look at the size of the crowd for a league game v Dunfermline!

That brought back fantastic memories. Wee Marahenry and Sludden.

The shirts in the 60,70 where they more something the local sport shops like Finnies and Stevenson’s bought in rather than the club supplied items of today?

only ask as I never had an Ayr top in those decades had a Scotland top which I don’t remember being all that similar to the actual one and a Brazil top 

15 minutes ago, Ayrmail said:

I think we've generally played better on plastic pitches in recent years than we've done on grass - the horrific one at QoS excepted.

13 minutes ago, Frosty said:

The game where our run at the 1st Division following the 87/88 2nd Division title win came to a grinding halt. 2-0 up and coasting until a season ending injury to Cally let Dunfermline back into it and we never really challenged again.

Great crowds in those days on the back of one of Ayr’s most entertaining ever teams. Templeton was a delight to watch - what a pass for Sludden’s goal. Joe Love and Brian Ross didn’t really improve the previous year’s team - remember Ross getting hooked after about 20 minutes against someone. Dunfermline were an annoying team full of wanks like Bobby Smith John Watson and Ross Jack - half the team were called Smith from memory.

They crowds, that atmosphere 🖤🤍

1 minute ago, Ayrmail said:

The shirts in the 60,70 where they more something the local sport shops like Finnies and Stevenson’s bought in rather than the club supplied items of today?

only ask as I never had an Ayr top in those decades had a Scotland top which I don’t remember being all that similar to the actual one and a Brazil top 

Yep - that's where you got them. No club shop in those days. Now there are hardly any proper sports shops.

4 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

I think we've generally played better on plastic pitches in recent years than we've done on grass - the horrific one at QoS excepted.

Livi killies and QoS all look terrible as if they have not been properly fitted or they are to long

2 minutes ago, Ayrmail said:

Livi killies and QoS all look terrible as if they have not been properly fitted or they are to long

I've played at Spartans and their pitch was excellent. Clearly you don't need to be in the top division or have loads of cash to do it right.

The issue isn't artificial pitches themselves, it's poorly maintained and overused ones. 

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of clubs train on artificial pitches during the winter months at least. Our climate and insistence on sticking to a winter season mean that they should be an option, but there should be much stricter criteria for the quality of them. 

Womens team is in the playoff final on Friday night in Falkirk.  Going to see if I can get along.  

9 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Womens team is in the playoff final on Friday night in Falkirk.  Going to see if I can get along.  

Yes I am going as well

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Ayrmail said:

Yes I am going as well

Remember disinfectant, the vermin are there night before. 

Edited by itzdrk