The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

20 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Personally I don't care who takes McCall. But the question is fairly straightforward. Regards McCall. He is on a pretty healthy contract at Thistle and compensation would be hefty.

If there was an exceptional candidate then I think Smith would fork out the cash for compensation . However the amount we’re talking about to release Ian McCall or say Owen Coyle , would pay for a decent centre forward and perhaps a leg breaking midfielder for next season .  

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

Worked well at this level with Falkirk, who up until there went to shits a few years ago i always wished we could compare ourselves to a club like Falkirk. Good balance of young, talented and experienced squad which was always slightly punching above its weight in the championship. 

If Falkirk are at the top of the championship we are competing at our level and not punching above our weight, clubs like Ayr can't expect to be what Falkirk were and should be. Falkirk are now going through the worst period in our clubs history which people don't seem to realise. 

Anyway, you don't want Peter Houston. He ultimately failed at Falkirk and should've got us promoted with the team we had. 

2 hours ago, Mod1967 said:

I detest agreeing with anything D'Jaffo says, but I also thought of Murray, good experience now including his turbulent St Mirren stint, done well before and after. 

Also Petrie and Young would be interesting. 

McIntyre is also a decent option, winning LC with RC even with a decent budget is some result. 

McCall ain't coming, done a great job for us and have no grudge with him 

Could we not try for Robinson, at worst he can say no. 

You'd probably find most Airdrie fans would be happy to give you Murray. I don't mind him but I'd say the job he's done with us equates to level par. He has improved us overall, but from a very low starting point. And he has been backed more than previous managers due to changes at board room level so I think we'd have improved with anyone who wasn't a total disaster. Budget wise we're probably third or fourth in the league the last 2 years and that's where I'm sure we would have finished had either season been completed. Also hard to judge his recruitment as we have had (until last week) a director of football, and 'links' with agents who clearly had a huge influence. The football is generally pretty negative too, it's a complaint most fans of most clubs probably make from time to time but it has been a consistent theme - not that that necessarily matters if it gets results, but it's had 'mixed' results.

Given that Ayr would need to pay some kind of fee (unless the club were happy to let him go) I'm not sure I'd be looking to appoint him, he's not really done anything since his time at Dumbarton to suggest he'd do a good job in the Championship.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

40 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

That's the level of banter the Championship boards miss, off you pop, back to League 1 with that kind of stuff. 

Haha it's not banter, it's the honest truth. I can see why clubs like Ayr are enjoying our demise but this is temporary and this horrific spell won't last forever. Our fanbase is big by Scottish standard, we average over 4000 at home a game. What do Ayr average? That answer will unveil why you can never realistically expect to compete with clubs like Falkirk and Dunfermline. 

2 minutes ago, MS RR said:

Haha it's not banter, it's the honest truth. I can see why clubs like Ayr are enjoying our demise but this is temporary and this horrific spell won't last forever. Our fanbase is big by Scottish standard, we average over 4000 at home a game. What do Ayr average? That answer will unveil why you can never realistically expect to compete with clubs like Falkirk and Dunfermline. 

For how many seasons have Hamilton, Livingston and St Johnstone played in a league or leagues above you?