The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Right now I think we have much of a muchness between us, Morton and Queen of the south. Arbroath will make up the bottom 4. Our squad isn't good enough for the Championship but I don't think it is any worse than the other teams mentioned. 

I think it will be a very long season, not many positives like last season. 

This is my thoughts too. I’d probably say we’re actually better off squad wise than Morton and maybe even qots( I did say this last year mind you and they had a very good season) 

Given how tight the league is and there is no standouts we should Absoulotely be aiming for top 4 however given the squad we have I can’t see anything other than a relegation battle. 

Baird, Houston, Miller, Murdoch, Moffat and McKenzie shouldn’t be starting for me. 

McAllister, Chalmers, Fjortoft all to start so we’re looking at 3 starters. 

It’s either Houston or Salkeld. I’d say Houston is well capable of being a starter for us if he can get over his fitness issues from last season. I’d also have no issues with Moffat playing if he is played centrally and alongside another player.

1 minute ago, Finlay21 said:

Houston Miller Murdoch if fully fit are worth a start , proved before they can do it 

Murdoch and Houston have, but they will need to quickly show they are much better than last season. I hoped we would see McAllister in front of him tbh, but that is based on reviews as I have no idea what he is actually like. 

Miller has had a few decent games, but we need far better in there at this level IMO. 

Houston Miller Murdoch if fully fit are worth a start , proved before they can do it 

Houston was good when he first signed but was miles off it last season.  Miller isn’t a championship standard player, only decent thing with him is he can provide cover for a variety of positions. Murdoch was probably one of my favourite players pre injury but he looked completely finished last season. 

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Thumper, you really do know how to depress everyone. 

The better part of a month ago people piled on to reply that Wait And See, Hoppie Has A Plan, These Things Always Come Together Late.

Again, for those at the back: I truly hope this is the case and that the loanees and releasees that are presumably being chased right now end up having times at Ayr that rival Doohan and Shankland's. But hope without strategy is how Scotland spends about fucking 40% of its GDP on scratchcards.

2 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

900 season ticket holders now , Panda Pals approx 100 who were not eligible for email as under 12 , 240 stand holders who did not want terracing and stand had less than 50 available, lots of fans stay outwith Ayrshire and don’t want to travel on a Tuesday night against a lower league team  as it’s not part of season ticket package , if the tickets were available to all fans I would think they would have been sold before lunchtime 

Holidays are another reason, there's 3 of us away to NE England on a golfing holiday so can't make it as won't arrive back until Wednesday and I'm sure many others will be doing similar at this time of the year.

27 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Holidays are another reason, there's 3 of us away to NE England on a golfing holiday so can't make it as won't arrive back until Wednesday and I'm sure many others will be doing similar at this time of the year.

Not Linden Hall is it ? I miss first league game as playing a competition there on 7/8th August 

Not Linden Hall is it ? I miss first league game as playing a competition there on 7/8th August 

No, we're down at Slaley for a few days. I've looked at Linden a few times but never actually played it.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

No, we're down at Slaley for a few days. I've looked at Linden a few times but never actually played it.

Played there in May for 2 days , lovely hotel , played both courses and found The Priestman to be the best course , enjoy 

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

The better part of a month ago people piled on to reply that Wait And See, Hoppie Has A Plan, These Things Always Come Together Late.

Again, for those at the back: I truly hope this is the case and that the loanees and releasees that are presumably being chased right now end up having times at Ayr that rival Doohan and Shankland's. But hope without strategy is how Scotland spends about fucking 40% of its GDP on scratchcards.

Ok Thumper I’ll take the bait . I’ll be honest I enjoyed McCall’s fully prepared approach to the League Cup , after all there is or was some decent £ on the table for those that get out the groups . Clearly , this season at least ,Hopkin isn’t looking at it like that . However as it stands we should still have two much for Edinburgh City and Albion Rovers , that gives him 10 days for Hamilton and 14 days for Falkirk !These games give him a two match prep for Killie , which is three weeks or so away .  Yes it’s getting tight , but it’s do-able if he has the right players coming in from the horizon.  This is the rub, I now doubt we’re in the marque market . Had we been, I think it would have been done by now . So we’re looking for a 9/10 and an 8 from the non league market down south or a surplus to requirements but in contract Scottish Premiership player . There won’t be another Shankland anytime soon , but let’s hope he can do the business from the pool of guys he’s chasing . 

15 minutes ago, North British said:

Ok Thumper I’ll take the bait . I’ll be honest I enjoyed McCall’s fully prepared approach to the League Cup , after all there is or was some decent £ on the table for those that get out the groups . Clearly , this season at least ,Hopkin isn’t looking at it like that . However as it stands we should still have two much for Edinburgh City and Albion Rovers , that gives him 10 days for Hamilton and 14 days for Falkirk !These games give him a two match prep for Killie , which is three weeks or so away .  Yes it’s getting tight , but it’s do-able if he has the right players coming in from the horizon.  This is the rub, I now doubt we’re in the marque market . Had we been, I think it would have been done by now . So we’re looking for a 9/10 and an 8 from the non league market down south or a surplus to requirements but in contract Scottish Premiership player . There won’t be another Shankland anytime soon , but let’s hope he can do the business from the pool of guys he’s chasing . 

There's no guarantees in life, most would have rated Anderson and Walsh as your "8" or even "9" performers but Anderson turned out more like a "2" and Wash a "4" or "5" at best. Zanatta was also a waste of a wage with Chalmers mediocre at best.

That said, I agree we need at least 4 bodies in the door and all of them need to be the standard of "starters" as opposed to just making up squad numbers.

I'd imagine that Hopkin will already have identified who he wants from Burnley right enough, so would be expecting 2 quality recruits coming in from there shortly.

42 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Nobody is reckoning Arbroath will be shite? Just seem to see mention of Morton and QOS being the benchmark of getting above 

Arbroath are not going to win the league but Dick Campbell is manifestly not a manager to underestimate. They also have tremendously high morale.

QOS fans tip them to go down every season. Not while Ayr throw points at them in Dumfries year on year.

Morten are almost always fellow shitehawks with Ayr in this division and it typically comes down to the wire. The difference this season is that the division is 100% full time so there's no safety net to absorb automatic relegation.

1 minute ago, Iain said:

Thinking positively - which players are we most excited to watch this season?

Adeloye could provide this.... if not we literally have no players who could be defined under the bracket of exciting to watch. 

Thinking positively - which players are we most excited to watch this season?

I’m actually quite excited to see how Reading gets on. With him maybe playing as a wingback he’ll be getting more involved going forward and I think he’s got a really good left foot on him. His assist for Smiths goal up at Dens last season shows he can get past players and deliver a cross.

Besides that I’m hoping we get to see Murdoch back to his old self and obviously Adeloye will be an interesting one. Think we’ll still see 3 or 4 players come in that will expected to provide some sore of excitement this season.