The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I’m genuinely gutted at that news. Had convinced myself he was on his way back. 

Was he that good though? Maybe it was the team he played in, but I just felt he was ok at best. Wouldn’t swap him for Salkeld or Adeloye from what I’ve seen of them this season, and what I saw if Smith last season

For all we know his “personal reasons” that saw him leave the States was that McCall just chanced his arm and offered him a decent deal and Smith jumped at it.

I’d like to think that, if this wasn’t the case, then we at least reached out to him but maybe Partick just got in front of us.

Just now, AUFC 1910 said:

Was he that good though? Maybe it was the team he played in, but I just felt he was ok at best. Wouldn’t swap him for Salkeld or Adeloye from what I’ve seen of them this season, and what I saw if Smith last season

Yes, he was very good and easily an upgrade on Salkeld.

Salkeld has scored one screamer and run about a lot and I’m not convinced he’ll do a whole lot more than that this season. He’ll be a decent squad player for us imo but not on Smiths level.

2 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Even just that he got six goals and three assists in twenty games, tells you enough! Particularly when you compare those stats comparatively to the rest of the league. 

Smith is genuinely levels above Salkeld in that position. 

Edited by No_Problemo

6 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Ffs, maybe being the good guys gets you nothing!

100% this. Ultimately money talks (and I would have no issue with him taking the best financial offer). We were kidding ourselves if we thought that playing for us for a few months and being kindly released would have changed his thinking for one second.

Just now, rgreig said:

100% this. Ultimately money talks (and I would have no issue with him taking the best financial offer). We were kidding ourselves if we thought that playing for us for a few months and being kindly released would have changed his thinking for one second.

Fair point but he would of undoubtably been our marquee signing and given the amount of money we were given by the SPFL compared to Thistle you’d of at least thought of we could of matched their offer. 

Just now, ayrunitedfw said:

Fair point but he would of undoubtably been our marquee signing and given the amount of money we were given by the SPFL compared to Thistle you’d of at least thought of we could of matched their offer. 

In addition to us literally having no players you could argue were sought after and on top end wages (maybe other than McAdams) 

23 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

In addition to us literally having no players you could argue were sought after and on top end wages (maybe other than McAdams) 

Maybe we just didn’t want him , we will not be playing the style of football he played under Kerr , not sure if he works hard enough ( not saying he’s not too bad a player ) Hopkin seems to like players who burst a gut every game 

We’re just over a week into our first competitive league game of the season still need a Defensive Midfielder, Attacking Midfielder and a Striker. We’re likely to sign James Maxwell early next week I suspect but still need 3 others which is looking increasingly unlikely. 

Hopkin needs to pull a few rabbits out the hat and quickly. 

3 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Maybe we just didn’t want him , we will not be playing the style of football he played under Kerr , not sure if he works hard enough ( not saying he’s not too bad a player ) Hopkin seems to like players who burst a gut every game 

Maybe we just didn't want him. That would be unbelievable if that's true.

I just think with our attacking options, (particularly when you looked at the substitutions against Hamilton). There would honestly be no reason why we wouldn't want him. 

Edited by THEHonestman1910

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

We’re just over a week into our first competitive league game of the season still need a Defensive Midfielder, Attacking Midfielder and a Striker. We’re likely to sign James Maxwell early next week I suspect but still need 3 others which is looking increasingly unlikely. 

Hopkin needs to pull a few rabbits out the hat and quickly. 

I would think he has nearly a week to get them in , as long as they  signed by Thursday and are match fit they could go straight into the team to face Kilmarnock, as the game plan training  is normally worked on a couple of days before the game 

6 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Maybe we just didn't want him. That would be unbelievable if that's true.

I just think with our attacking options, (particularly when you looked at the substitutions against Hamilton). There would honestly be no reason why we wouldn't want him. 

I would think Hopkin knows who he wants to fill the places in the squad and will be well down the road on tying them up , no one knows if we even got a chance , with the speed it happened I believe he had already agreed with Thistle before it was announced he was coming back to the UK , 

Edited by Finlay21

Personally I would have loved Cammy Smith back at the club but as said by others were we even interested in him ?

I know "us" as supporters mostly wanted him back but we don't even know if Hopkin had any interest in him at all and possibly he has someone already earmarked for this sort of position ??

As I posted previously, if our budget is at least on a par with last season then we definitely must have a large wedge still available, as apart from offloading a few of our biggest earners, we're still quite a few bodies down from a pool perspective on last season, as such, I'm sure we could have matched / bettered anything Thistle were offering if we had really wanted him here but of course I could be wrong.

Over and above this, we've now got the last 16 prize money and the potential of a big tie financially in the league cup, so all in all I'd expect some decent quality acquisitions to be appearing in the next week, otherwise there will definitely be questions being asked, despite our decent start to the season.

Think we all need too stop being so negative.... Personally I like Salkeld and would run through a brick wall for the team... That is very evident already... That's the kind of players you want..... And let's not forget we are actually playing quite well...... I feel we have a couple of good signings on the way and will be decent....