The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

21 minutes ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Not that I'm always wondering about where my next pie is coming from, but is the catering still going to be shut on Saturday?

As a fan of clogged arteries I've also looked into this, noticed on the SRE someone saying they were doing work this week to make sure they are ready for Saturday. 

26 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I think most of us wouldn’t mind if we actually were playing the ball up to a strong focal point, and playing from there. We just seem to hoof it aimlessly though. 

I totally agree. It's all about results first and foremost and then to a lesser extent performances. Praise for artistic impression is for others to worry about. 

But how the team is setup, how tactics are changed as the game progresses and the effectiveness of setpieces and substitutions (both vital in the modern game) is where I think a lot of the support still rightly worry for us. 

Hopkin has had long enough to make a positive impact on the team and for him to be showing us genuine progress. It feels like it's one step forward and one step back too often for me. The jury shouldn't still be out on his ability to progress us. 

Edited by BukyOHare

..... Bashing Reading isnt the way to go... He has no protection.... Was a huge tactical error playing McKenzie who is a STRIKER on the left when we have a really promising TWO footed winger in O'CONNER... I hope Hoppy sees sense and plays things better against Arbroath and other teams.... We have a decent enough squad.... So I am expecting far better going forward...... 

Also seeeee his bogey team shite... I hope we don't hide behind that for any future defeats..... For example Arbroath, Queens and Inverness especially..... Its 11vs 11 got and fucking play better and beat them..... 

Grrrrrr. 

* also of note we got Chalmers on a free.... We payed money for Houston tho.... 

Edited by OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton

3 hours ago, bazka6 said:

Genuine?

Yes. I get that Ayr fans have doubts over their manager/squad but we all have that. We were better than Ayr (and without being arrogant we should be given our budget etc) but it’s not like we beat you 8-0.  Burke was having a great game and we always knew that we had him to go to. Maybe without him we would’ve gone over to the left hand side a bit more but it’s all it’s and buts isn’t it.

I don’t want it to look like I’m patting Ayr on the head here and being a dick because that’s not my intention but I would assume Ayr are kind of hoping to be a solid team in this league whereas we are expecting to win promotion at least so I think to lose 2-0 away from home with no fans in the ground isn’t that bad a result. Certainly not the Doomsday that a lot of Ayr fans are making out.

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Chalmers has played his whole career at a level above Ayr, Ayr paid a fee for him. Hes can’t be a bad player.

He has been shit but we are not playing to his strengths.

What part of Ayr's setup results in his awful set pieces?

3 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Yes. I get that Ayr fans have doubts over their manager/squad but we all have that. We were better than Ayr (and without being arrogant we should be given our budget etc) but it’s not like we beat you 8-0.  Burke was having a great game and we always knew that we had him to go to. Maybe without him we would’ve gone over to the left hand side a bit more but it’s all it’s and buts isn’t it.

I don’t want it to look like I’m patting Ayr on the head here and being a dick because that’s not my intention but I would assume Ayr are kind of hoping to be a solid team in this league whereas we are expecting to win promotion at least so I think to lose 2-0 away from home with no fans in the ground isn’t that bad a result. Certainly not the Doomsday that a lot of Ayr fans are making out.

Pre match I said on the match thread that defensively we should be solid enough assuming we don't leave our striker isolated to try get something. Our downfall was being far too negative and inviting far too much pressure. We watched the exact something on repeat in the final run in last season, when we knew we had a very unbalanced squad with severe limitations. The frustration is coming from the fact we appear to have upgraded in quite a few areas and have played some decent stuff on the deck in the cup games. I agree to an extent that there has been an overreaction, however it was a worrying throw back to open our campaign with. I'm still optimistic we may see something different at the weekend as we clearly have a few guys that can play. 

12 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

This league is a bit different than the top league though, teams aiming for mid table should be competing with sides who are favourites for the league, (when there isn’t a Hearts etc in it) and not meekly surrendering before the game even begins. 

As an aside, if we can sort out our central midfield then we could have a very decent team. We now potentially have some exciting attacking talent in Afolabi, O’Connor and Maxwell, a much more solid defence - we just need to link the two together 

Chalmers has been awful all bar about two games when he was played on the left and was tasked with giving Reading a bit of protection. And even then he offered zilch going forward.

He’s also played the majority of his games in this league so not sure where the “higher level than us” guff is coming from.

Edited by eez-eh

49 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Good sensible and very decent post by the way but i think most of us are just a bit depressed at the tactics (not just in the Killie game but at the back end of last season as well), the very fact that we didn't give it a go and left what most would perceive as our best players on the bench has really scunnered us and of course being embarrassed by your deadly rivals doesn't help matters.

That said, Burke was outstanding and I thought the movement in and around the box of big Cameron also caused us huge problems.

Is it just me that would play the Moff in midfield?

He is pretty deft at close control and slipping passes.

He can gather the ball from the defence, quick turn, and a positive through ball to feet or out wide to feet.

Edited by AUFC 1910

Just now, AUFC 1910 said:

Is it just me that would play the Moff in midfield?

He'd do a decent job as an attacking midfielder, would be good in a diamond or as the advanced man in a middle 3. He's already shown he can drop deep and be the link for the main striker and do pretty well so can't see a reason why he wouldn't do well as an attacking mid.   

30 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Chalmers has been awful all bar about two games when he was played on the left and was tasked with giving Reading a bit of protection. And even then he offered zilch going forward.i was

He’s also played the majority of his games in this league so not sure where the “higher level than us” guff is coming from.

I was just thinking that.  He did play a fair few games in the Premiership but he's mostly played in this league.

Question for Season Ticket Holders - are the seasons this season for Specifically North Terrace or Somerset Road End or is it either / or?    Looking at ticket for Saturday but being put off North Terrace by the weather forecast but I know that's where my old man usually stands and that he has a season so don't want to book nbother couple for me and a pal for a part of the ground dad couldn't get to.