The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Was meant to be cutting a weeks holiday short by a day to head up for the Arbroath game but now I'm thinking of sacking those plans as I can see it being horrific.   Someone convince me we will see a big reaction to last night and its one to be at. 

Think this will be the strongest team going forward:

Albinson

Baird Fjtfort McGinty 

Houston Murdoch Muirhead Reading 

Afolabi O'Connor 

Adeloye 

Think Albinson has really surprised many so far and looks to be a real candidate for the number 1 which leaves you a problem with McAdams, when was the last time we had 2 really decent looking goalies? That's a real positive i'd say.

Also considering guys like McAllister and Miller didn't even have a chance to get on the bench i can see a couple possibly leaving before the end of the month if we get a couple from Burnley (which is beginning to look more doubtful). Hewitt and McKenzie going out on loan would be the obvious first two IMO as i think last night showed although they've undoubtedly improved there not there yet. Michael Miller i could see be a possibility to leave if we get a midfielder in from Burnley because at the moment Miller is looking at limited game time if Muirhead is staying in CM

3 minutes ago, rgreig said:

The official match stats were interesting - apparently we had three shots on target (I don't remember any apart from the powder puff free kick later in the game) and Killie only 5. Given we were under constant pressure, I think it shows how well our defence did and I have no complaints about how McGinty has done. That part of the squad is night and day from last season and you can't ask much more than that at our level.

However as others have said, Hopkin needs to rethink midfield for Saturday and I think he has got players to do that. If he doesn't, then I have no hope for him making any kind of success of this season.

Yes, I'd agree that our defence did a good "siege job" last night as did the keeper. However, what's worrying about that is that the last time I could remember something similar was Wullie Jamieson and Ronnie Coyle defending us for their lives at Ibrox, only to be screwed over late on by a sneakily taken quick free kick from Gazza which should never have been permitted.

My point being that we were playing a mediocre Killie full of championship standard journeymen as opposed to Gazza, Laudrup etc at their best !!

5 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Was meant to be cutting a weeks holiday short by a day to head up for the Arbroath game but now I'm thinking of sacking those plans as I can see it being horrific.   Someone convince me we will see a big reaction to last night and its one to be at. 

The one and only Irish Messi to put on a show of sheer brilliance, linking up with Adeloye and Afolabi as we take the Smokie Munchers apart, in a breathtaking 9-1 victory which the likes hasn't been seen since the 7-0 humping of the mighty Meadowbank thistle at Fortress somerset led by the swashbuckling, crunching tackling, messiah who was Duncy George.

12 minutes ago, Hursty said:

I’m going through a similar debate - I’m working on Saturday and was planning to rush about all morning so I could attempt to get away on time. I probably will, but not quite as enthusiastic about it. 

With Afolabi and O’Connor playing we should at least see a bit of pace and skill on show. Though, imagine seeing the team and they aren’t playing 😂

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, I'd agree that our defence did a good "siege job" last night as did the keeper. However, what's worrying about that is that the last time I could remember something similar was Wullie Jamieson and Ronnie Coyle defending us for their lives at Ibrox, only to be screwed over late on by a sneakily taken quick free kick from Gazza which should never have been permitted.

My point being that we were playing a mediocre Killie full of championship standard journeymen as opposed to Gazza, Laudrup etc at their best !!

I remember that match but I'd forgotten how frustrating that free kick was.

I think it's great to have a solid base to build on - I can't remember the last time I felt we had really good organisation in defence - but we need to have more than that. McCall was in some ways the opposite - you always felt in every game you could concede.

I don't think Killie were mediocre but we made them look good by giving them 60% possession and allowing them to pass. We have all seen Cameron a lot last season - both with us then at Alloa - and I think disillusionment with him will quickly set in. I think it will be tight for the top 5 places and while they will be up there I think teams like Raith will still be confident they can finish above them.

15 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m going through a similar debate - I’m working on Saturday and was planning to rush about all morning so I could attempt to get away on time. I probably will, but not quite as enthusiastic about it. 

With Afolabi and O’Connor playing we should at least see a bit of pace and skill on show. Though, imagine seeing the team and they aren’t playing 😂

Aye - unfortunately I'd need to get the train at 11 so can't wait on team news before leaving 🤣

13 minutes ago, rgreig said:

I remember that match but I'd forgotten how frustrating that free kick was.

I think it's great to have a solid base to build on - I can't remember the last time I felt we had really good organisation in defence - but we need to have more than that. McCall was in some ways the opposite - you always felt in every game you could concede.

I don't think Killie were mediocre but we made them look good by giving them 60% possession and allowing them to pass. We have all seen Cameron a lot last season - both with us then at Alloa - and I think disillusionment with him will quickly set in. I think it will be tight for the top 5 places and while they will be up there I think teams like Raith will still be confident they can finish above them.

Yes, it just sends out completely the wrong message when you sit back and invite pressure for 90 mins.

It was always a matter of when they would score rather than if and that's just not good enough.

37 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Think Albinson has really surprised many so far and looks to be a real candidate for the number 1 which leaves you a problem with McAdams, when was the last time we had 2 really decent looking goalies?

Isn't McAdams injured? But still, yes, categorically no complaints about the hiring there so far. Albinson has taken a huge step up but came out of that onslaught yesterday pretty much unscathed.

As for McGinty, he still doesn't have the very much required knack of being able to clear a ball all the way downfield, as opposed to slicing it about ten yards in a random direction, and his positioning wasn't perfect, but he wasn't at fault for the goal. I'd agree with others that this still doesn't mean he's one of the club's two best centre halves.

6 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Came onto this thread to read people’s thoughts on the game and we’re debating whether that song is racist

Reveal hidden contents

it’s not and you are quite simply a clown if you think otherwise. 

😂😂😂

An easily offended simpleton man. 

5 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

You are. What am I though?

It’s easy to forget sometimes that kids can sign up to here just as easily as adults.

7 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:
If you cant see why a large crowd using black as a derogatory term is problematic, there isnt much hope for you. I think most people accept that the context and intent isnt racist, but it isnt a great leap to say that the connotations of black being unwashed/dirty has an uneasy connection to racism regardless of what the intent is.
It is for the same reason that the term "p**f" in relation to a tackle or player's conduct on the pitch has rightly been largely binned. I doubt many people actually meant it in a homophobic way, but more a word they had grown up using to describe weakness or cowardice. But regardless of context, it is clearly a homophobic term.
If you are going to stubbornly defend the chanting of black b*astard in 2021 you need to give your head a wobble.

It's not really the same thing, since "p**f" was always used as a homophobic term, even if it was mostly accepted in society up to the mid 2000s.

The word "black" in this context did not have any sort of racist background, it was a commonly used term in mining areas like Ayrshire and Fife to describe someone as dirty or unwashed.

The reason it shouldn't be accepted any longer is because that phrase is commonly used as a racist term in a different context, it looks absolutely terrible to outsiders, and it could make fans, players and staff feel uncomfortable as a result.

Edited by craigkillie

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's not really the same thing, since "p**f" was always used as a homophobic term, even if it was mostly accepted in society up to the mid 2000s.

The word "black" in this context did not have any sort of racist background, it was a commonly used term in mining areas like Ayrshire and Fife to describe someone as dirty or unwashed.

The reason it shouldn't be accepted any longer is because that phrase is commonly used as a racist term in a different context, it looks absolutely terrible to outsiders, and it could make fans, players and staff feel uncomfortable as a result.

Spot on.   The song as sung by Ayr and Killie fans isn't racist.  But the fact it has that phrase in it means it shouldn't be sung any more.  It's simple as that.  

23 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

As for me walking into the kilmarnock shop, it's only a game of football. A team in the same league as the team I support and nobody had any blows at all, just friendly banter, which it should always be like. They were quite happy to print my shirt. 

So again, I apologise if I have caused you offence, though I do feel you have taken things out of context. 

I see this as banter. If i had been near our shop seeing you walk in I would have given you “well done big man” type shout! No offence taken 

If a rangers or Celtic fan walked into our shop doing same thing they would get pelters from any killie fan near

39 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Spot on, we had just announced the signing of Afolabi, fans gather at Somerset shortly after to wave the team bus off and his first interaction with any fans is them singing that. 

If you called people "black b*****ds", you'd probably end up with a sore face or charged by the police for using racist language. 

It may not be intended in a racist manner, but to sing a song which contains those words is moronic at best.

The song in question, as with the majority of football songs, is cringe as f**k. Just watch the games and shut the f**k up.

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

Spot on, we had just announced the signing of Afolabi, fans gather at Somerset shortly after to wave the team bus off and his first interaction with any fans is them singing that. 

Yep first thing I heard when I got too somerset. It felt so cringe .