The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

You can argue all you want that we want more from a wide player, as Mullin is very much a numbers man. 

We can’t pretend that eight goals, and four assists in 22 league appearances isn’t incredibly good though and very hard to replace! 

Prior to him signing permanently in January he was one of our best players and an integral part of the team, however his form definitely started to dip and then he picked up the injury. Since he returned from injury he's been terrible and looked a shadow of the player that we had in the first half of the season, however I suppose it could be argued that he wasn't alone in that.

As such, I don't see him as a great loss, given his age, his likely wage demands and more importantly his most recent form.

Was bizarre to let ourselves be bullied by Livi in January, rather than call their bluff and let them recall him given he couldn't play for anyone else, all for a 4 month deal, 2 months of which he was injured for.

Him, McAlear and Maguire was the long term planning in full effect.

We had about 6 pressing problems to address before we knew Mullin was away. He didn’t look fit after he came back from his broken foot, but his stats before then were solid and not straightforward to replace.  Mad to think we gave McKenzie a 2 year deal when his goal scoring ratio is about 1 in 15 and he has no resale value but would then turn our noses up at a 3 year deal for Mullin. We gave Sam Ashford a 2.5 year contract 😳😳😳

29 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

You can argue all you want that we want more from a wide player, as Mullin is very much a numbers man. 

We can’t pretend that eight goals, and four assists in 22 league appearances isn’t incredibly good though and very hard to replace! 

I was being slightly facetious, to be fair. He was definitely an important player when the team was playing well. Up to the club to replace him now.

12 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

We wanted a big rebuild, we needed a big rebuild, and that looks like what we are going to get!

Would be nice if it was done strategically though and not as a reaction to the initial plan for continuity breaking down!

7 minutes ago, Nelson said:

We had about 6 pressing problems to address before we knew Mullin was away. He didn’t look fit after he came back from his broken foot, but his stats before then were solid and not straightforward to replace.  Mad to think we gave McKenzie a 2 year deal when his goal scoring ratio is about 1 in 15 and he has no resale value but would then turn our noses up at a 3 year deal for Mullin. We gave Sam Ashford a 2.5 year contract 😳😳😳

McKenzie I can understand, Ashford totally not but maybe a cheap option as a squad player (same with McKenzie but the added incentive of him still being young with improvement highly possible), however I'd also argue that throwing a 3 year deal at Mullin would have been a mistake given his age, lack of re-sale value and high wages.

We've also got lots of time to find and sign players and I'm sure the backroom guys know what they're doing.

Ultimately it's all opinions and I'm sure lots of us will see it differently from one another.

26 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Was bizarre to let ourselves be bullied by Livi in January, rather than call their bluff and let them recall him given he couldn't play for anyone else, all for a 4 month deal, 2 months of which he was injured for.

On paper all three were good shouts with Mullin risk free but the other two gambles which ultimately failed to pay off.

Mullin was one of our key players up until January and completely integrated into our squad and playing style, McAlear was proven in the league, had a good pedigree and was also being watched by Scotland U21 staff and Maguire was the wildcard who was near the end of his career and also coming back from a long lay off due to a gambling ban but who also ticked the boxes of experience, maverick and someone who was a proven quality performer at a far higher level.

It didn't work, but it might have and of course nothing is certain in Football, just ask Chelsea.

54 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Livi did recall him.  

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

I know we’re a bit fed up after the playoff shambles, but pretending that Mullin isn’t a big loss is proper lunacy, particularly when he’s going to a direct rival.

He's also experienced which is what bullen claims this squad needs. Next season will be some laugh with JML and Ashford starting out wide 

Wouldn’t be losing sleep over anyone leaving at the minute. It’s still early days and anyone that leaves is replaceable barring Akinyemi. 

Mullen had a good season but I would’ve been shocked had we given a 30 year old a three year deal. 

1 minute ago, Rodders1910 said:

He's also experienced which is what bullen claims this squad needs. Next season will be some laugh with JML and Ashford starting out wide 

Won’t be happening though will it?