The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

People surprised at transfer news coming from other teams' websites or players' twitters instead of Ayr: big scoop for you, giant ball of energy predicted to rise from the eastern horizon tomorrow morning.

31st of May and the first recorded sighting of an "it's only DATE" post regarding the lack of transfer news. The League Cup starts six weeks on Saturday.

Mullin is a loss, Hamilton a missed opportunity. Houston couldn't stay fit and was very rarely at his best anyway.

I'm quite surprised by the pricing for the box party - surely it'll be at capacity, so they could surely have charged more than a fiver for it?

5 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I reckon location and job security is a big part of it but the money would’ve had to be right as well. 

I don’t blame him as he’s at an age where he needs to start planning for the future and there aren’t many 30 year olds who will get a three year deal in Scotland. It’s a good move for him and it should pay off, in the short term, for Raith.

I suspect it’s a matter of current contracts. We just signed Connolly to two years and a third year option, while the rest of our midfield/wingers group, excepting Brown, are on deals expiring next year. I would guess Barrowman, Potter and Murray see Mullin as a quality winger to lock up with Connolly and Hamilton…and our offensive threat the last couple of years has been, well, offensive. Is it a gamble, well, yes. The BoD seems to be going in on longer contracts for “quality” players, the question will be how good their judgement turns out to be.

8 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

With Mathie there I expected us to have been further down the line with new signings tbh. 

We really need the club to come out and announce who's been released and who (if any) have been offered new deals. A new signings to try and get fans onboard again would really help imo. 

Think we will hear soon , remember all the clubs who have announced released players etc finished playing 3 weeks ago , we only finished 4 days ago , players could not be sat down until we knew what league we were going to be in , so it’s obvious we are going to be a couple of weeks behind them with news 

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

Think we will hear soon , remember all the clubs who have announced released players etc finished playing 3 weeks ago , we only finished 4 days ago , players could not be sat down until we knew what league we were going to be in , so it’s obvious we are going to be a couple of weeks behind them with news 

Prior to Friday night there was a possibility that we were still going to have another 2 games this season and could potentially have been in the league above, as such it would seem incredulous that we would already have signed players or indeed released players when we didn't even know what league we were going to be in the following season.

34 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Prior to Friday night there was a possibility that we were still going to have another 2 games this season and could potentially have been in the league above, as such it would seem incredulous that we would already have signed players or indeed released players when we didn't even know what league we were going to be in the following season.

It's equally unbelievable that they wouldn't have a plan A and a plan B ready to go into effect immediately upon the league situation crystallising. I imagine they're some way down the road with whichever players they're looking at.

We know Moffat will just fade back into the backroom team, he won't be signed on as a player.  However no mention of O'Connor is strange as there was a clause for an extended year, so no discussions on him renewing or being released does seem odd.

45 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Surely the club would have targets identified regardless of what league we were in. Seems they have been sitting on their hands and we've been caught sleeping with regards to Mullin. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Surely the club would have targets identified regardless of what league we were in. Seems they have been sitting on their hands and we've been caught sleeping with regards to Mullin. 

I don’t think it is fair to say they have been caught sleeping. 
Mullen could have signed an 18 month deal in January but didn’t. He was always keeping his options open and he’ll have got himself the best deal. One the club weren’t able or willing to match.

Do you think the club should have pushed the boat out to keep him?

8 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Just because they haven’t announced a replacement within 2 minutes of Mullin leaving doesn’t mean they’ve been sitting on their hands.

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Mullen could have signed an 18 month deal in January but didn’t. He was always keeping his options open and he’ll have got himself the best deal. One the club weren’t able or willing to match.

No and I wouldn't have offered him a 3 year deal however he said after the game on Friday that he hadn't heard anything from the club about a new deal, why not? 

13 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

They made him an offer but he wanted too long a contract. 

O'Connor the only one missing from that list I think. Was it definitely confirmed that there was an option for a second year when he signed last year?  I do quite like him, and not against him staying at all but if he is staying he needs to massively kick on and improve his decision making in the final third. Definitely a better option than JML or Ashford though. 

Moffat has effectively transitioned to full time staff now, would be good to have a formal acknowledgement of that, even if he was going to continue playing juniors for a bit more.

I like McAllister, though probably brings more to the team in terms of mentality. Improved much more than we thought throughout last season though so perhaps a feeling that he could still develop further? 

Can't say I'm too upset about the others. Would have liked him to stay but Mullin has gone for a deal that will work much better for him and fair enough, Houston always injured and Maguire just didn't work out. The rest are youth lads who were never really first team players. 

Hopefully the negotiation with McCallister involves him being a backup right back.  If we keep going with the fraud full backs again we could be in a bit of bother.  

41 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

He I believe was offered a very decent deal , but any player his age where a club offers a 3 year deal and to play practically on your doorstep is a no brainier for the player involved