The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

12 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

What's the likelihood of any new signings today?

I think it's two before pre season starting.  

I'd guess they'll be Friday or one Friday and one Saturday.  

41 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I think it's two before pre season starting.  

I'd guess they'll be Friday or one Friday and one Saturday.  

Kids are going to be so confused when a guy from the 6th tier of English football jumps out of cake at the open day on Saturday.

25 minutes ago, wullieaufc said:

Queen Park opening compensation talks for Ruari Paton, a player we should be going for 100%

I'm led to believe an approach was made but never progressed furrher.... if its coming down to compo QP will blow us out the water

5 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Kids are going to be so confused when a guy from the 6th tier of English football jumps out of cake at the open day on Saturday.

Why do people keep talking down the English National league as if it's an amateur league completely full of diddy's etc ?

Dipo ?

Tommi ?

I'm pretty sure most of us would be overjoyed to find another guy similar to that !!

3 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Kenyon

JML

McAlear

Young

Rowe

Yes, a selection of dumplings, however I don't think many of them came from the English lower leagues.

We could also look at "proven" Scottish Championship stars such as,

Joe Chalmers

Tom Walsh

Cameron Salkeld

Markus Fjortoft

Aiden McAdams

Or, our Slovakian Premiership imported dumpling ? and of course for ever McInroy or Doohan, you end up with a couple of Afolabi's.

It is what it is, You'll get some guys who'll excel without a real pedigree and you'll get guys who come with a big reputation who end up as dumplings, it's just the way of it at EVERY level of the game.

Salkeld and Fjortoft were not proven Championship players. If you think they were, then you can get in the sea along with Hopkin and Duffy.

I actually agree with the point you are making but you undermine yourself with hyperbole like the above.

52 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Young

Rowe

Both of these were decent players in the time we saw them, one just got homesick and the other injured.

Folk are acting like it’s only signings from England that are a mixed bag. We’ve signed plenty of shite from Scotland as well.

Signing players from the London/English lower leagues is fine. It lacks excitement and comes with loads of risk. 

Signing players who are established in Scotland and have a good reputation tick both the boxes. 

We aren't doing the latter much at all, Jamie Murphy aside, two lower league players we hope to develop and some speculative efforts from down south doesn't scream intent to me. 
Currently, since this project began, we have cleared out Gondoh and Kenyon. McAleer, ,Maguire and Young were well below average. JML, Ashford and Bangala could depart without any protest. 

Dempsey, Tomi, Dipo and Albinson have been the rare successes. Kirk and young were loans from Premiership teams. So we have a 4/11 success rate to bring competent, consistent footballers to the club. 

6 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Both of these were decent players in the time we saw them, one just got homesick and the other injured.

Folk are acting like it’s only signings from England that are a mixed bag. We’ve signed plenty of shite from Scotland as well.

By my reckoning in the last two seasons we have signed Musonda, Chalmers and Mullen from Scottish clubs up until this window. 

54 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Salkeld and Fjortoft were not proven Championship players. If you think they were, then you can get in the sea along with Hopkin and Duffy.

I actually agree with the point you are making but you undermine yourself with hyperbole like the above.

Your arrogance seems to know no bounds......

19 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

By my reckoning in the last two seasons we have signed Musonda, Chalmers and Mullen from Scottish clubs up until this window. 

Yeah, all good signings, but if we were shopping exclusively in Scotland we would still have a mixed bag, as we’d be taking punts on lesser fancied players up here rather than punts on lower league English players.

30 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Signing players from the London/English lower leagues is fine. It lacks excitement and comes with loads of risk. 

Signing players who are established in Scotland and have a good reputation tick both the boxes. 

We aren't doing the latter much at all, Jamie Murphy aside, two lower league players we hope to develop and some speculative efforts from down south doesn't scream intent to me. 
Currently, since this project began, we have cleared out Gondoh and Kenyon. McAleer, ,Maguire and Young were well below average. JML, Ashford and Bangala could depart without any protest. 

Dempsey, Tomi, Dipo and Albinson have been the rare successes. Kirk and young were loans from Premiership teams. So we have a 4/11 success rate to bring competent, consistent footballers to the club. 

Gondoh was low risk, Kenyon was only signed for experience / dressing room on a short term deal, Maguire was a gamble but apparently low cost due to his predicament and both McAlear and Young were Loans that we know can go any way.

Ultimately we stayed in the league the first year and finished 2nd the following year, so from a purely statistically perspective you'd have to say we've done ok in the transfer market.

Do we really care where a player comes from ? Every single player you sign is a risk , many established players have signed for other clubs and for varying reasons did not produce their previous standards , 

37 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I'd actually argue the opposite as not knowing anything about them is exciting in itself, where as signing someone who's been kicking around Raith / Morton / Hamilton / Arbroath etc, etc brings very little excitement as we're already aware of what these guys bring and ultimately if they had done that well they wouldn't be going to Ayr, they'd be stepping up to the Premier or heading to L2 / L1 in England.