The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, United1973 said:

All joking aside going by that terrible performance today how many player do you think we need to bring in 

We definitely need another striker to hopefully play with Rose.  Murphy was a huge gamble given the concerns about his fitness and it is worrying that he’s broken down already when we’re only half way through August.  If 4-6 weeks is accurate, we need more quality on the left side fairly urgently.  Chalmers would be great, but just doesn’t seem likely.  I just don’t see things getting  better with McGeady - he’s miles off the pace which is really what you’d expect for a 37 year old with a recent history of chronic injury problems.  I’m encouraged by what I see from Pendlebury, but we really could be doing with more quality and experience in the middle of the park.   I have to presume Ahui will be given a run at right back pretty soon and can hopefully prove last week was an unfortunate aberration.

11 minutes ago, United1973 said:

All joking aside going by that terrible performance today how many player do you think we need to bring in 

It hasn’t changed from last week. We need a winger and a midfielder. Our need for a left back is being mitigated slightly by Reading performing well but we still need one. 

A striker would be nice but it’s not needed as much as the rest imo. 

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

We definitely need another striker to hopefully play with Rose.  Murphy was a huge gamble given the concerns about his fitness and it is worrying that he’s broken down already when we’re only half way through August.  If 4-6 weeks is accurate, we need more quality on the left side fairly urgently.  Chalmers would be great, but just doesn’t seem likely.  I just don’t see things getting  better with McGeady - he’s miles off the pace which is really what you’d expect for a 37 year old with a recent history of chronic injury problems.  I’m encouraged by what I see from Pendlebury, but we really could be doing with more quality and experience in the middle of the park.   I have to presume Ahui will be given a run at right back pretty soon and can hopefully prove last week was an unfortunate aberration.

McGeady didn’t look off the pace today. There will be question marks over whether he can sustain his fitness over the season but he’s no different to Murphy in that regard. If we can swap Ashford out and get someone in then that’ll be enough. 

2 minutes ago, Nelson said:

McGeady showed the only bits of quality in the entire game - three or four lovely bits of play. 

14 minutes ago, Jack_1910 said:

With the amount of games he’s played for ayr at least one game had to be played to “his style of play” 

Yes that's my point, there have been. 

I'm not saying he's an excellent forward player for the level and shouldn't be criticised. Of course ideally we would have 2 or 3 brilliant goalscorers to each get us 15 or more goals each - but that's just not realistic. McKenzie has proven on multiple occasions to be effective as a disruptor or in linking the play up top. You need that in a team. Especially when there is a complete dearth of creativity in the middle of the park.

He's not immune to bad performances, he has had his fair share, but I think he receives a lot of undue criticism because he is hung out to dry regularly by Bullens non-existent tactics.

We don't need to play like Brazil 1970, have the best eleven players in the league or be ready to play in the Champions League either.

We're clearly in the middle of a rebuild from last season with important players still not match fit, a squad still generally getting to know each other and new players still to come in. Like it or not that'll take time.

I don't see any teams in the league at a full compliment yet either or playing at 100% 

We've got 3 points on the board, try and enjoy it. ⚪⚫

Glad to get the 3 points but some utterly dreadful football at times. Inverness looked utterly woeful. McAllisters throw in that didn't even enter the field was an odd moment.

Amartey and Stanger look like good signings. Reading I thought had a solid game.

Amused when that annoying twerp Dodds was sent to the stands.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Aye but he didn’t score or assist so he’s basically useless…

The twisting and turning back and forward keeping the ball, until any kind of option became available was fantastic. 

There were a couple of other small bits of class too. We need to have a possession based style to get the best of him through IMO, so hopefully we aren’t abandoning that already. 

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

We don't need to play like Brazil 1970, have the best eleven players in the league or be ready to play in the Champions League either.

We're clearly in the middle of a rebuild from last season with important players still not match fit, a squad still generally getting to know each other and new players still to come in. Like it or not that'll take time.

I don't see any teams in the league at a full compliment yet either or playing at 100% 

We've got 3 points on the board, try and enjoy it. ⚪⚫

While you are right, you can’t fail to be concerned about the starting team that was sent out today two games into the league season and the horrible style of play. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

The twisting and turning back and forward keeping the ball, until any kind of option became available was fantastic. 

There were a couple of other small bits of class too. We need to have a possession based style to get the best of him through IMO, so hopefully we aren’t abandoning that already. 

Think it’s easy to try and say we want to play this way but the players need to take more responsibility in that case. They need to understand that their opponents will press and put them under pressure and they can’t just resort to kicking it away really hard and hoping for the best. I’m not sure what the answer is but I think the only midfielder we’ve got who’s suited to playing that way is Paul Smith. Stanger and Musonda can do it in defence but McAllister lacks any sort of composure and Reading is just getting back on his feet from last season so not sure how suited he is. 

9 minutes ago, Nelson said:

McGeady looked great when he came on and had their RB, RCB and RM on toast. The skill he showed on a few occasions was superb and should have resulted in at least one goal and possibly two.

Just now, Nelson said:

It’s certainly going to be interesting trying to find a style of play that can accommodate McKenzie’s inability to score and McGeady’s inability to run.

You REALLY don't like McGeady, do you ??

Just now, Nelson said:

and McGeady’s inability to run.

Of all the nonsense you’ve posted in the last hour or so this is the best. Just complete ignorance despite the fact that when he came on he looked more than capable of playing at this level. I’ve already said he might pick up a knock at some point but fitness was not as issue this afternoon. Not sure why you’re expecting a 37 year old to be putting in high intensity runs when he doesn’t need to. 

Well seeing we are back to pish home games when I go! Missed the Alloa one, first home game I've missed in about 4 years and we scored 6 🤣

Thought it was 2 poor teams. ICT could be bottom half of the table this year going on that performance and last weeks. 

A first league win though so not all doom and gloom...apart from Murphy being out 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Think it’s easy to try and say we want to play this way but the players need to take more responsibility in that case. They need to understand that their opponents will press and put them under pressure and they can’t just resort to kicking it away really hard and hoping for the best. I’m not sure what the answer is but I think the only midfielder we’ve got who’s suited to playing that way is Paul Smith. Stanger and Musonda can do it in defence but McAllister lacks any sort of composure and Reading is just getting back on his feet from last season so not sure how suited he is. 

I think you are right and it’s definitely partially a recruitment/current personnel issue. You can’t sign guys who won’t be able to play in a hoofball style time like McGeady and Murphy and then have no one behind them capable of keeping possession though - it’s bizarre. 

McGinty was hoofing it up the park long before he was being pressed though. At the same time in the second half no one was really showing from midfield to take the ball from defence. 

I think there are a multitude of issues tbh so f**k knows!