The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

If they revamped the Challenge Cup I'd probably care alot more about it, the only real piece of interest it holds these days is a potential trip to another country. The inclusion of B teams instead of HL/LL teams (or even teams further down the pyramid) is farcical, they are the first thing I'd bin. Who really wants to go watch their team play against some teenagers in a glorified friendly? The prize money effectively puts teams at a loss unless they reach the final. 

The trip to Wrexham is one that will always stick in the memory as one of the highlights of following Ayr, it was a great day out as it was something a bit different. Now there only appears to be 4 cross border sides so interest has clearly dropped in Ireland and England. All of the above being said, the hypocrite in me would absolutely go to the final. 

Potentially, you could make a very interesting cup competition for sides from outwith the Premiership and including clubs from further down the pyramid. That would potentially throw up some more interesting ties than fucking Falkirk again.

In it's current format, I could not care less about the Challenge Cup.

22 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Hamilton beat Raith, only know that because I saw a Raith fan mention that they didn't even feel gutted walking out of the ground afterwards. 

For the record, I remember walking out of the centenary cup final having lost 3-2 in extra time and felt absolutely gutted.  In hindsight, a win would have been a brilliant way for Ally to have ended his time at the club.

3 minutes ago, Nelson said:

For the record, I remember walking out of the centenary cup final having lost 3-2 in extra time and felt absolutely gutted.  In hindsight, a win would have been a brilliant way for Ally to have ended his time at the club.

Did we not lose two consecutive finals?

Edited to add: I was exactly 3 months old when the 3-2 final was played. Losing in extra-time must have been gash as f**k.

Edited by Richey Edwards

Didn't mind losing the Dundee final as it was a decent game and the better team won on the day. The Accies final was the complete opposite. Dreadful game with Accies content to sit in and defend for 90 minutes then hit on the break. Just knew the game was over when they scored. 

1 minute ago, Pick that one out Marshall said:

Aidan McAdams 'set' for Edinburgh City move after Ayr release |

Probably not the move he was expecting when leaving to find first team football. He's probably suffered from Charlie really coming onto a game. 

TNS or Bala away were the only 2 good draws (as they are fairly close for me!)

Colreaine, Cliftonville, East Kilbride, Kelty and University of Stirling acceptable as I dont think we have ever played any of those before.

I used to quite like the Challenge Cup (or Centenary cup as it started out as) but the b teams have ruined it for everyone. I quite like the LL/HL and the Irish, Welsh, Lower League English teams being in it though

14 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Colreaine, Cliftonville, East Kilbride, Kelty and University of Stirling acceptable as I dont think we have ever played any of those before.

I used to quite like the Challenge Cup (or Centenary cup as it started out as) but the b teams have ruined it for everyone. I quite like the LL/HL and the Irish, Welsh, Lower League English teams being in it though

We played Coleraine in the Martyn Campbell testimonial.

Unfortunately the National League teams aren't interested, and the League of Ireland season starting in February causes problems.

41 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I've been looking for an excuse to get back to Bala for years now. Used to have my breakfast sitting at the side of the lake when driving down to an LNG plant I was based on down in Milford Haven. Very pretty part of the world. 

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Did we not lose two consecutive finals?

Edited to add: I was exactly 3 months old when the 3-2 final was played. Losing in extra-time must have been gash as f**k.

A Billy Dodds hatrick to really rub salt in the wounds.  We did indeed lose the following year as well, though I don’t remember much about it.  No harm to him, but the quiet pessimism of George Burley was a tough sell after the endless roller coaster ride of Ally…

1 hour ago, yorkshirepud said:

Didn't mind losing the Dundee final as it was a decent game and the better team won on the day. The Accies final was the complete opposite. Dreadful game with Accies content to sit in and defend for 90 minutes then hit on the break. Just knew the game was over when they scored. 

It was actually worse than that as that was in the days when pass backs were allowed, if I remember correctly about 65 minutes of the match was Hamilton passing it between the defence and the keeper !!!

1 hour ago, yorkshirepud said:

Did Lee Gardner, or our 5 foot 2 left back at the time (Robertson?) not get a horror injury and ended up playing on. Like his right leg was pointing at 90 degrees from where it should have been from the knee down. 

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Did Lee Gardner, or our 5 foot 2 left back at the time (Robertson?) not get a horror injury and ended up playing on. Like his right leg was pointing at 90 degrees from where it should have been from the knee down. 

That seems improbable.

12 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It was actually worse than that as that was in the days when pass backs were allowed, if I remember correctly about 65 minutes of the match was Hamilton passing it between the defence and the keeper !!!

The Hamilton keeper was hardly troubled in this match. His kit probably did not need to be washed after. It was a total capitulation and not at all like the 1990 final.

Edited by Caledonian

20 minutes ago, Nelson said:

A Billy Dodds hatrick to really rub salt in the wounds.  We did indeed lose the following year as well, though I don’t remember much about it.  No harm to him, but the quiet pessimism of George Burley was a tough sell after the endless roller coaster ride of Ally…

Burley is some sort of relation of mine. I've never met him though.

He was a terrible Scotland manager.

Edited by Richey Edwards

14 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Garry Agnew was left-back that day. Gardner did play, though can't remember too much apart from the game being awful.

5 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Garry Agnew was left-back that day. Gardner did play, though can't remember too much apart from the game being awful.

If only we had Garry Agnew now !!