The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

There are Scottish-born football players who play for Australia that do not receive anywhere near the level of vitriol that the Scottish-born players who chose to play for Ireland do.

I wonder why eh?

I think the real issue with McGeady was that he was good and would easily have got into the Scotland team. All the other Australian guys wouldn’t have got near the Scotland squad. Personally I too was very disappointed at the time that McGeady chose Ireland over Scotland.

Surely it's time to move on from this now. I was disappointed when he chose Ireland but that was a long time ago. Everyone has different circumstances in their lives that influence their beliefs and choices, he obviously did what was right for him at the time.

It's all totally irrelevant now though. He's one of ours and we should be 100% behind him instead of bickering about it and dragging up the past. I'm personally just glad we've got a guy who's got 100+ caps for any country playing for us.

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

Christ knows why anyone's bothered about McGeady choosing Ireland nowadays. He's had an excellent international career, and Scotland are light years away from where we were. We've benefited hugely from the grandparents rule over the last few years. We'd be absolutely fucked without Dykes choosing us. 

18 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Christ knows why anyone's bothered about McGeady choosing Ireland nowadays. He's had an excellent international career, and Scotland are light years away from where we were. We've benefited hugely from the grandparents rule over the last few years. We'd be absolutely fucked without Dykes choosing us. 

Dykes parents are Scottish totally different to the McGeady situation 

20 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Instantly thought of Jason Cummings after reading this. Australia can f*cking have him.

3 hours ago, Bowl-of-chilli said:

Was he born and raised in Ireland? Is he Irish?

Will Smith was born and raised in Philadelphia but it didn’t stop him from becoming the Fresh Prince of Belair.

Pretty similar story to McGeady actually when you think about it.

3 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Dykes parents are Scottish totally different to the McGeady situation 

It’s no different at all. Dykes was born in Australia but feels an allegiance to Scotland through his parents. 

McGeady was born in Scotland with Irish grandparents and feels an allegiance to them helped by the fact that Ireland had him coming through their youth setups and we only took an interest when he was 16. It’s absolutely no surprise that he’d go with the federation that had looked after him and wanted him more. 

People not liking him is plain weird to be honest. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s no different at all. Dykes was born in Australia but feels an allegiance to Scotland through his parents. 

McGeady was born in Scotland with Irish grandparents and feels an allegiance to them helped by the fact that Ireland had him coming through their youth setups and we only took an interest when he was 16. It’s absolutely no surprise that he’d go with the federation that had looked after him and wanted him more. 

Nope I’m not having this. Your first allegiance should be the country of your birth and where you were brought up. Then your parents nationality kicks in. If you aren’t getting picked for the country that you’re brought up in then it’s fine to look to your parents country of birth. Those guys that choose their grandparents nationality are either weird or have no other chance of international football anywhere else.

4 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Nope I’m not having this. Your first allegiance should be the country of your birth and where you were brought up. Then your parents nationality kicks in. If you aren’t getting picked for the country that you’re brought up in then it’s fine to look to your parents country of birth. Those guys that choose their grandparents nationality are either weird or have no other chance of international football anywhere else.

I don’t know why you think you get to define what nationality it is okay for someone to be. 

I can think of different ways you might feel as though you are the same nationality as your grandparents - everyone’s situation is completely different. 

The ordering of what is most important to define your identity is just wild btw…

Aw lads, another weekend of mediocre pish from you and another wee piece of history for your big cousins. I genuinely feel sorry for you that you never experience what we do on a regular basis. The Twisted Sisters both taken care of in the space of a fortnight and no goals conceded. If only you could overachieve like us. Hugs…….

23 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Nope I’m not having this. Your first allegiance should be the country of your birth and where you were brought up. Then your parents nationality kicks in.

Musonda was born in England to an English mother and Zambian Father. Is he wrong to play for Zambia?

25 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Good thing it’s not about whether you’re going to accept it or not. It happens and players are within their rights to play for who they like. 

You cant accept Dykes playing for Scotland but not accept McGeady playing for Ireland. That’s just hypocritical. 

1 minute ago, Roxanne's man said:

Musonda was born in England to an English mother and Zambian Father. Is he wrong to play for Zambia?

He's never going to get a game for England though so your point is irrelevant. 

7 minutes ago, Rugbypark said:

Aw lads, another weekend of mediocre pish from you and another wee piece of history for your big cousins. I genuinely feel sorry for you that you never experience what we do on a regular basis. The Twisted Sisters both taken care of in the space of a fortnight and no goals conceded. If only you could overachieve like us. Hugs…….

Good result for you guys yesterday. 

Couldn't care less about McGeady's choice of country. He's an Ayr player and looks to be an outstanding signing for this level. As long as he does the job for us I'm happy and don't want to get involved in the bigot brothers petty nonsense.

43 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Not sure this is all on Scotland not getting their act together. Depending on the school you attended or circle of friends then Scotland might not be the international team of choice 

1 minute ago, AyrExile said:

Not sure this is all on Scotland not getting their act together. Depending on the school you attended or circle of friends then Scotland might not be the international team of choice 

Plenty of Scottish internationals have attended RC schools so not sure that has much bearing on whether you’d play for Scotland or not. 

People are really over complicating this and I have no idea why. We stood by and let him play for Ireland at school boy level and then thought we could come in and he’d happily switch allegiance to us. Fair play to him for sticking with the country that wanted him more instead of doing what the likes of Grealish and Rice did and ditched Ireland as soon as England showed a bit of interest.