The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, GuyIncognito said:

Is he any good? 2 goals in 34 games in League 1 isn't that encouraging.

Honestly yes he is a good player. He's not a striker but an attacking midfielder that wins the ball and sets up play for another player. His playing minutes has mostly been as a sub for United in last 15 minutes of games. Been difficult for United's young midfielders last couple of seasons. We've had Glass, Fotheringham, Meekison and Mochrie all competing for similar positions with established players

1 hour ago, rgreig said:

I think we are looking at one more player coming in?

I don't have much to add beyond what several others have said, but I think the interesting dynamic is what McGeady will be saying to Mathie. It's slightly unusual having a player with a dual role and reporting to someone other than the manager/first team coach. It will give Mathie another insight into Bullen's performance as a coach.

Yes, but Chalmers hasn't played yet, Young has just arrived, Rose just getting up to fitness and Murphy only played once and should also be back soon.

These guys should all make a huge difference to what started yesterday, although we still need another one or two.

48 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Exactly. You don't need to be Poirot to make the connection.

I don't recall our season ticket sales going through the roof when we WERE playing great stuff with Shankland etc.

I'd put the season ticket sales down to general disinterest / apathy in the area in Ayr Utd, the increase in price coupled with the cost of living squeeze and of course the renovation work being done on the NT.

20 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I don't recall our season ticket sales going through the roof when we WERE playing great stuff with Shankland etc.

I'd put the season ticket sales down to general disinterest / apathy in the area in Ayr Utd, the increase in price coupled with the cost of living squeeze and of course the renovation work being done on the NT.

No-one suggested our season tickets should be booming. We were discussing why it was such a hard sell to actually get renewals? IE - maintain the numbers from last year. Hell, the club even mentioned season ticket sales and how Raith could do their business early as a result.

We finished 2nd, our greatest achievement in 30 years and on the eve of the season starting we still hadn't equalled the prior seasons numbers. That's not good by any metric, however, anyone spins it.

General disinterest and apathy amongst our existing season ticket holders should be cause for major concern. 

The North Terrace being out of commission might be a factor as is cost of living but I think they wouldn't be as big factors if the performances were better.

I find it hard to believe that enduring the turgid crap being served up at Somerset every two weeks for the last 3 seasons has helped though. I'm a diehard and I renewed the night before the season started. I doubt I was alone in flip flopping on renewal.

1 hour ago, Iain said:

This looks like it will be great viewing

It shows very well just how much of a different level Dundee United are at compared to everyone else in the league, meet up at the marine hotel in Troon pre match and then the top of the range luxury bus to come 15 minutes down the road.

There's no way they'll make any profit from this season, although at the end of the day it'll get them back to the premiership where ultimately the money is. 

34 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

General disinterest and apathy amongst our existing season ticket holders should be cause for major concern.

The apathy is definitely down to the product on the park.

The drilling from Partick in the playoffs was enough to drive any fair weather supporters away and put off any season ticket holders on the fence about renewing.

30 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Direlights now up for viewing 

Whomever makes these should be getting a hefty pay cheque from Bullen, we actually don't look as bad as we were! 

Hard to see who was marking Holt for the first, looks like McAllister initially but then McGinty and Stanger are floating about as the ball gets to Holt - who knows. The second is a bloody howler from Albinson (Mutch in goals sooner rather than later?) and the third is just comical defending. I don't think there's anybody near him.

2 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Whomever makes these should be getting a hefty pay cheque from Bullen, we actually don't look as bad as we were! 

Hard to see who was marking Holt for the first, looks like McAllister initially but then McGinty and Stanger are floating about as the ball gets to Holt - who knows. The second is a bloody howler from Albinson (Mutch in goals sooner rather than later?) and the third is just comical defending. I don't think there's anybody near him.

Bit harsh on albinson to be dropped for a mistake. He was unreal yesterday up until the 1st goal.

7 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Bit harsh on albinson to be dropped for a mistake. He was unreal yesterday up until the 1st goal.

Thought he was poor at Cappielow myself, each to their own though. If you watch the game back, none of those saves were particularly challenging for a Championship goalkeeper. 

I wasn't at the game but the highlights actually make us look not too bad.

No idea what Albinson is doing mind you with the 2nd, just tip it over the bar??

The set piece man marking for the other two goals is comically bad and it looks like on each occasion it was Stanger who was supposed to be picking them up so wouldn't be surprised if he gets dropped next week and Musonda moves into CB alongside McGinty

8 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

The 1st goal it looks like it was mcginty that gave it away as you can see mcalister pushing mcginty raging.

No if you pause it at 4:31 you can see McGinty marking Gallagher. Funnily enough at the same point McAllister is nowhere Moult so maybe he should focus on his own game.

2 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

No if you pause it at 4:31 you can see McGinty marking Gallagher. Funnily enough at the same point McAllister is nowhere Moult so maybe he should focus on his own game.

I don’t think you can really comment on set pieces whatsoever, as we have no idea what sort of set up we actually have or are meant to have. 

Anyway, including winning a corner kick on highlights is fucking hilarious. Any good thing we did, if which there was a tiny amount came through McGeady. I’m still quite looking forward to seeing him alongside other actual good players in Chalmers and Murphy. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I don’t think you can really comment on set pieces whatsoever, as we have no idea what sort of set up we actually have or are meant to have. 

Anyway, including winning a corner kick on highlights is fucking hilarious. Any good thing we did, if which there was a tiny amount came through McGeady. I’m still quite looking forward to seeing him alongside other actual good players in Chalmers and Murphy. 

He’s going to be one of those players who’s two or three steps ahead of the rest of our players and that might go against him. 

The amount of stick he was getting yesterday was unreal. People saying he should’ve been subbed off earlier or that he looks like he can’t be arsed are so far off it. Someone was moaning at him because the ball kept “rolling under his foot” when he was doing it deliberately to get the ball out his feet quicker. Only thing I can criticise yesterday was his corner kicks but then again I’m not sure if he’s been told to aim for the near post.