The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, No_Problemo said:

God - I actually completely forgot we were part time then!

It is hard to fully remember, but that side were just absolutely toothless up front and the only attacking threat came from Nicky Devlin… I actually still remember Devlin being slaughtered for being “out of position” as he tried to provide the attacking threat for the entire team. 

Harkins was also shite, or we made him look shite given he went on to do well elsewhere!

Harkins had a pretty commendable year at Morton the year after where I think he played as a sort of deep lying midfielder. That’s where I thought he’d end up playing for us with Ross Docherty and Robbie Crawford alongside him. I think had we signed a half decent striker we’d have stayed up that season. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Harkins had a pretty commendable year at Morton the year after where I think he played as a sort of deep lying midfielder. That’s where I thought he’d end up playing for us with Ross Docherty and Robbie Crawford alongside him. I think had we signed a half decent striker we’d have stayed up that season. 

Still remember Farid being the big hope and then you caught a glimpse of him attempting to run!

Different problems to this side, but ultimately one of the same major ones with the lack of a good striker. 

I'd love to live in a world where you can ask how someone like Ahui was identified, due diligence was done and then we still approached him.  

I know why they can't answer questions like that and I'm absolutely no scout but I could see within two minutes online that it would never work.  

I would find it fascinating to find out how they checked him out and if it was on the same platform as me, if so what did they look at.  

20 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I would say this team is better all over the park apart from central midfield and full backs. 

If this current team had Nicky Devlin, Ross Docherty and Robbie Crawford we’d be absolutely fine. 

This team would do a lot better with Farid or Andy O'Connell up top than Rose.  

I think as much as it's gonna be stage managed, it's good that they haven't went hiding or just started posting construction pictures when it isn't going well.  

Let's see if these get fired straight in the bin :lol:

Screenshot_20230907-195446.png

10 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I'd love to live in a world where you can ask how someone like Ahui was identified, due diligence was done and then we still approached him.  

I know why they can't answer questions like that and I'm absolutely no scout but I could see within two minutes online that it would never work.  

I would find it fascinating to find out how they checked him out and if it was on the same platform as me, if so what did they look at.  

You can only presume we were knocked back by about four or five other targets for right back and settled on him in the hope that he could be coached to be better defensively. 

That scenario is far better than him being our first choice target. 

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

image.png.d405f9eb2888554ea1767353f0eb6744.png
A sucking wound of mediocrity, and yet Ryan McGowan would absolutely stroll into the current squad.

I’m not being funny when I say between the years of 2003-2015 our squads were largely junior level quality but they just worked like f**k to scrap for points. 

That’s a ridiculous amount of time to have such mismanagement that I don’t think is rivalled by a lot of clubs. 

My old work did an anonymous Q&S once when things weren't going so well and the CEO made the incredible mistake of just getting everything flashed up on the screen without getting it vetted or checked at all. Endless questions like "why are you so pish", "when are you leaving" etc. Was almost tough to watch.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m not being funny when I say between the years of 2003-2015 our squads were largely junior level quality but they just worked like f**k to scrap for points.

Case in point is that the talisman of the era, and favourite player of very large chunks of the sub-40 support, is a guy who played in the juniors until he was 27.

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

Case in point is that the talisman of the era, and favourite player of very large chunks of the sub-40 support, is a guy who played in the juniors until he was 27.

I don’t think a club at this level will ever make a more ridiculous yet brilliant signing than that.

9 minutes ago, Thumper said:

image.png.d405f9eb2888554ea1767353f0eb6744.png
A sucking wound of mediocrity, and yet Ryan McGowan would absolutely stroll into the current squad.

Those two full backs would do us fine as well. 

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

There's also the possibility the higher ups have no idea of the general feeling amongst a portion of the support and the questions will come as a bit of a shock to them. I predict Smith having a meltdown on Twitter about it some time soon.

They’ll know. They both read Twitter and it wouldn’t surprise me if they occasionally read on here although I doubt they have an account. 

22 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

It might be possible at the new season Q and A style thing you might get half an answer to that. I would be very interesting to find out though. 

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You can only presume we were knocked back by about four or five other targets for right back and settled on him in the hope that he could be coached to be better defensively. 

That scenario is far better than him being our first choice target. 

We were probably better just keeping Hewitt in that case.

The conversation really just has to be - “is he a decent bit better than Nick McAllister?!” If the answer is anything from maybe to no then you just don’t do it!

Dont want to go on about Regan Tumilty again either, he was blatantly available as he left Hamilton for a spell.

44 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I think as much as it's gonna be stage managed, it's good that they haven't went hiding or just started posting construction pictures when it isn't going well.  

Let's see if these get fired straight in the bin :lol:

Screenshot_20230907-195446.png

Aye its a bold choice.

However, as I opined before Mathie would do well to actually change some stuff for the better. He is in real danger of being a talking head squeezing as many buzzwords into a single sentence. 

Edited by Trogdor

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

They’ll know. They both read Twitter and it wouldn’t surprise me if they occasionally read on here although I doubt they have an account. 

Folk at the club reading on here is a 100% fact.  

Just now, Trogdor said:

Aye its a bold choice.

However, as I opined before Mathie would do well actually to change some stuff for the better. He is in real danger of being a talking head squeezing as many buzzwords into a single sentence. 

What A Day That Was when he Found A Job. The Facts Of Life are that such things happen Once In A Lifetime. Unfortunately we are on the Road To Nowhere and many of us are due Burning Down The House like a Psycho Killer.

9 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

However, as I opined before Mathie would do well actually to change some stuff for the better. He is in real danger of being a talking head squeezing as many buzzwords into a single sentence. 

He's the managing director. Very few clubs have the non-playing staff engage in any sort of direct dialogue with the fans. Also it's not as if managerial buzzwords are any less teeth-grinding than the sort of cliches that get spouted by the average football person, who had been on a club's books since the age of seven and was rarely even fully literate.