The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just finished watching the Q&A there. Think its good that they're doing it, but I think that a lot was said without much substance behind it. Regarding transfer targets, for us to finish 2nd in the league and having a "project" to sell to them, the fact that we've been beaten to a number of players is quite concerning.

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

None of the Raith signings made me think, how the f**k did they pull that off

The only one who really made people sit up was Jack Hamilton. Maybe Mullin, but Ayr fans seemed to say he'd tailed off after his injury.

I doubt you'd have really found anyone who looked at Callum Smith and thought he'd have ended up being our best signing so far. 

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

None of the Raith signings made me think, how the f**k did they pull that off

You don't need to pull multiple standout signings out of the bag to be competitive at this level though. Raith had a couple decent players last season and have built on the foundation to create a strong squad. Even us in 18/19, if you look at the incomings that summer, none of them exactly were incredible bits of business (maybe barring Liam Smith which was a bit of a coup). A young keeper on loan from Celtic, a left back that was released from Aberdeen, and a midfielder released from another club in the same league. The annoying thing is is that we arguably had a similar base to build on like Raith with some solid players and the Dipo money, and yet the polar opposite directions that our seasons look to be going reflect very badly on the management at the club.

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Maybe Mullin, but Ayr fans seemed to say he'd tailed off after his injury.

Not really. He was excellent from late September/early October when he started to play regularly to the end of January when he signed permanently. Into February and early March he was quite poor before getting injured. Came back in late April, was excellent vs Inverness, then was hopeless in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

We got a development fee for him, he signed a new deal a few weeks before he left 

Mark Kerr said it had been verbally agreed with Harvie and his agent that he was going to sign a new deal with ourselves but then the following week the covid pandemic hit so we all know how that threw everything upside down to say the least...

Just now, ComradeDiego said:

A scudding off Thistle on Friday and he’s dead in the water.

If we go a goal down early on, it could get nasty, and be a bit of an embarrassment on live television.  So weird that Bullen has so little credit in the bank after finishing 2nd, but I guess there have been too many bad days at the office, stretching all the way back to that horror show against Kilmarnock.

10 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Oh dear

Bit of a poor choice of headline from VOR IMO

As i've said for a while he'll get to the first quarter in October 

It's lifted from a quote from Bullen. 

So what I understand is that when we are beaten in the League Cup by a shitter team, we are just unprepared for the season yet. Please give us time we don’t have a full team yet don’t judge us on this game etc etc.

But when we beat a bigger team we are the greatest team on the planet and this is a historic result that must be remembered for generations.

Tick.

Tock.

Even if we lose an early goal on Friday the place can’t turn poisonous - given our lack of experience it just basically guarantees us collapsing. They have no chance if they are slaughtered every time they give the ball away, it just leads to them not trying anything and retreating into their shells. 

5 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

So what I understand is that when we are beaten in the League Cup by a shitter team, we are just unprepared for the season yet. Please give us time we don’t have a full team yet don’t judge us on this game etc etc.

But when we beat a bigger team we are the greatest team on the planet and this is a historic result that must be remembered for generations.

Tick.

Tock.

The League Cup matches were sprung on the club at short notice and no one knew about them months in advance. Therefore it is unfair to have expected the club to have a team assembled and ready to go in time for those matches.