The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Dodds is an absolute fud and a fraud as a manager. Went 3 months without a win for Inverness but still finished 3rd because of how bad the league was then shitfested his way to the playoff final. Only got to a cup final because Queen’s Park fucked up with player registration. 
wouldn’t touch him with a bargepole 

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

A youth team of a team in the third tier in England is higher than the Scottish Premier league?

Yes. I would say being on the coaching staff and serving as interim manager of a English Championship club with 30000+ attendances is a higher level than Ross County and Inverness

Edited by GuyIncognito

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

The third tier in England is higher than the Scottish Premier league?

Sheffield Wed were in the Championship when Bullen was assistant manager between 2015-2020. He was never actually part of the set up when they were in League One. 

4 minutes ago, GuyIncognito said:

Yes. I would say being on the coaching staff and serving as interim manager of a English Championship club with 30000+ attendances is a higher level than Ross County and Inverness

And Dundee, and Dundee United

5 minutes ago, GuyIncognito said:

Dodds is an absolute fud and a fraud as a manager. Went 3 months without a win for Inverness but still finished 3rd because of how bad the league was then shitfested his way to the playoff final. Only got to a cup final because Queen’s Park fucked up with player registration. 
wouldn’t touch him with a bargepole 

He got past a Falkirk team we failed against, Qualified for the play-offs twice in a row, one where he got to the final. 

Seasons are 36 games, not one game or 3 months. Ayr deserved a play-off place last year because they won the points to be there over the season, not just because McKenzie scored with 2min to go. Much the same as they would deserve f**k all if he hadn't scored. 

"He was successful but he was shite at doing it" 

This might be the cans talking, but I’d take Yogi. Could be the totally batshit left field appointment that’ll get us out the funk we’re in. Kinda akin to the effect Duncan Ferguson is having now. 

Although I don’t know whether I think thats because I reckon he’d be good or whether it just reflects the dearth of decent managers out there who would see Ayr as a worthwhile venture. 

Edited by Coollestersmoothe

The last three jobs Yogi took were against relegation threatened sides. He has a success ratio of 1/3. I don’t think we’re in panic mode yet in terms of going down as this league is so up and down but you’re only ever 2-3 games away from panic stations. 

Ultimately I don’t think a new manager is something we’ll have to consider for a while yet. He won’t be sacked and seems incapable of admitting/realising he’s got it wrong so won’t walk. I reckon it’ll take us being in the bottom two and a four or five point gap opening up before the pressure gets too much for Smith. 

If (big if) he goes then I wouldn’t be jumping into a long term appointment at this stage. Would rather go down the interim until end of season route and reassess there. Far too teams appoint a new manager and they get off to a good start but make an arse of the summer window. On the flip side, a lot of guys are very good with their own side but they need time to get their own players in and are relatively useless when given someone else’s team. Very rarely can clubs at our level get someone who is good at both. 

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

He joined their coaching staff in 2001, He was assistant for two years. In 11 seasons, they were in league one for two of them and finished in the bottom half in seven.

He was a youth coach until 2015. For five years he was the assistant manager. In the English Championship. A higher level than where Dodds coached. It’s all a moot point as these things are ultimately irrelevant to what makes a good manager but seeing as you seem so intent on trying to make Billy Dodds out to be a better manager than Lee Bullen I thought I’d point out the facts for you. 

Bullens going nowhere. As much as I’d like it to be otherwise.

And if he were to go there’s really nobody out there who whets the appetite that I can think of. Even if there was would they look at Ayr as a prospect for advancing their career? Beyond the fanbase most other people see ayr as a club eternally in the doldrums with no imminent likelihood of success. 

I think Bullen thinks this too. In his mind we’re lucky to have him cos who the f**k else would come here. 

Edited by Coollestersmoothe

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He was a youth coach until 2015. For five years he was the assistant manager. In the English Championship. A higher level than where Dodds coached. It’s all a moot point as these things are ultimately irrelevant to what makes a good manager but seeing as you seem so intent on trying to make Billy Dodds out to be a better manager than Lee Bullen I thought I’d point out the facts for you. 

He was manager under one manager, he was only assistant for two years until Steve Bruce came in. In that time, they were mostly filler in the Championship. 

Dodds coached in the Premier league, having played at the top level in Scotland for 18 years and capped 26 times for Scotland. He has managed at our level for two full seasons, finishing in the top 4 twice, getting to the play-off final once and a Scottish cup final. These are also facts.