The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

41 minutes ago, Peil said:

He played for us up there in the cup tie on 31st January.
Spent the game being told where to stand by McAdams.

Wild that they saw him in that game and then decided, he'll do for us

He's basically the Guybrush Threepwood of football.

2 hours ago, Rb123 said:

Mathie will 100% be saying all over the place about just look at how Morton have turned it around and we'll do the same, it's going to happen.

Big question is if Smith will fall for it

Nobody knows for sure whether it will or it won't.

Despite what people might think on here or anywhere else one way or the other. 

That's the beauty and attraction of sport. It's what unites supporters regardless of their team.

2 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Heard a rumour from a Saint Mirren fan that we may be getting one of their forwards on loan. Anyone know who? Maybe Grieve being recalled from Dundee United as he hasn't been playing?

Grieve was only loaned to them yesterday. 

Edit: Possibly Lewis Jamieson. He was on loan at Airdrie last season and is listed as a striker but I think he played a bit deeper with them. 

Edited by D'Jaffo

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Nobody knows for sure whether it will or it won't.

Despite what people might think on here or anywhere else one way or the other.

"There is no way to predict anything" is a rational choice when picking lottery numbers. It is not when it comes to backing football managers.

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

"There is no way to predict anything" is a rational choice when picking lottery numbers. It is not when it comes to backing football managers.

Or running any sort of business really. 

13 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Heard a rumour from a Saint Mirren fan that we may be getting one of their forwards on loan. Anyone know who? Maybe Grieve being recalled from Dundee United as he hasn't been playing?

We only play with one up front, we also have Bryden, McKenzie, Amartey and Rose not playing. We barely have a right back and only one left back. We concede at least 2 goals a game. 

Of course the first move would be to sign a forward. 

6 hours ago, rgreig said:

Not only did we sign him, by Paul Hartley actually watched him play against them and concluded he was just the thing he needed for his struggling Cove team and signed him on loan! I think that may actually be even more crazy than our signing him since I doubt Bullen had ever seen him play live.

“Fool Scottish football once, shame on you. Fool Scottish twice, shame on Paul Hartley.”

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

Or running any sort of business really. 

28 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Grieve was only loaned to them yesterday. 

Edit: Possibly Lewis Jamieson. He was on loan at Airdrie last season and is listed as a striker but I think he played a bit deeper with them. 

Lewis was at the same school as my oldest boy.
Even in P1 you could see him skinning his classmates and thought, this boy might have a career ahead of him.

Credit to his maw raising him, he's turned out a sound guy, and who knows how things might pan out for him in the future.

Edited by Peil

10 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

We only play with one up front, we also have Bryden, McKenzie, Amartey and Rose not playing. We barely have a right back and only one left back. We concede at least 2 goals a game. 

Of course the first move would be to sign a forward. 

Dowds seems to be regressing as he has been absolutely useless the last couple of games. 

15 minutes ago, Thumper said:

You may be right, you may be wrong.

The beauty, unscripted drama of sport. Nobody really knows.

24 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Dowds seems to be regressing as he has been absolutely useless the last couple of games. 

We are absolutely not using him properly imo. Despite his size he’s not really an effective target man. Think he’s better at chasing balls in behind but I also think we’d get a lot more out him with a striker partner. Not sure we can play two strikers plus Murphy and Chalmers in the same team though given how weak our midfield and defence is. 

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We are absolutely not using him properly imo. Despite his size he’s not really an effective target man. Think he’s better at chasing balls in behind but I also think we’d get a lot more out him with a striker partner. Not sure we can play two strikers plus Murphy and Chalmers in the same team though given how weak our midfield and defence is. 

This feels a bit knee jerk to me after a couple of poorer games. 

He maybe isn’t a classic target man, but he absolutely can act as a focal point and has shown that consistently. We have also got plenty out of him as a lone striker with the three in behind him. Bullen then decided to go back to a more negative player in the middle of the three in behind.

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah the last two games especially he has just been left painfully isolated up front himself, plus even though he's a big guy he seems to win very few aerial battles for some reason

14 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

This feels a bit knee jerk to me after a couple of poorer games. 

He maybe isn’t a classic target man, but he absolutely can act as a focal point and has shown that consistently. We have also got plenty out of him as a lone striker with the three in behind him. Bullen then decided to go back to a more negative player in the middle of the three in behind.

As quoted below he isn’t that effective in the air. If the ball is played into his feet then he’s quite good and he’s got a decent turn of pace. I think he absolutely needs people getting closer to him. No one did that on Saturday and you could see how isolated he was. 

9 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Yeah the last two games especially he has just been left painfully isolated up front himself, plus even though he's a big guy he seems to win very few aerial battles for some reason

I’m sure Thistle fans said the same.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

As quoted below he isn’t that effective in the air. If the ball is played into his feet then he’s quite good and he’s got a decent turn of pace. I think he absolutely needs people getting closer to him. No one did that on Saturday and you could see how isolated he was. 

I’m sure Thistle fans said the same.

Yeah - but that isn’t an issue in terms of him playing up front himself. As you say he just needs someone in that ten style position to link things up and he can then take the ball in and get us up the park. 

Obviously if we are just going to launch balls at his head he will be useless, as would most forwards as a defender is always going to be favourite to win headers.