The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

12 minutes ago, Cutty Old said:

One of the greatest Ayr players. A joy to watch.

My Papa used to talk about him, and so many other players from that era.

I'm vaguely jealous of people who got to watch Ayr during that era. It must have been brilliant seeing the team compete in the top flight back then with big crowds.

11 minutes ago, Ayrmail said:

The story attached to this one  is interesting. Davie McCulloch another wizard with the ball like Johnny Graham 

IMG_0514.jpeg

Ian McColl…Scottish football journalisms resident silver fox. 

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

I'm vaguely jealous of people who got to watch Ayr during that era. It must have been brilliant seeing the team compete in the top flight back then with big crowds.

JG was class in a very good side.

Can anyone confirm if Celtic have been given the SRE for the friendly yet?

I'm sick of listening to my son and his pals ranting about it. Although I do agree with them that it's our home end and shouldn't be hawked out to that lot.

33 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

Can anyone confirm if Celtic have been given the SRE for the friendly yet?

I'm sick of listening to my son and his pals ranting about it. Although I do agree with them that it's our home end and shouldn't be hawked out to that lot.

Hooring out the home end is absolute cuck behaviour and should be discouraged IMO. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Hooring out the home end is absolute cuck behaviour and should be discouraged IMO. 

Agree. Don’t care if it’s a money spinning friendly. There is a point where you go “aye, I’ll take your money. But there is a bit of pride here” The SRE is the home stand that’s it. It’s undignified to be hooring it out. Makes us look utterly tinpot at a time when we’re doing all we can to shake that off. 

Edited by Coollestersmoothe

19 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I’m struggling to care to be honest. I’ve got no desire to share a stadium with that mob so won’t be there. 

If given up the SRE for a friendly means extra income to bring in another couple of additions then great. 

I’m not going. I’ll be skint. But I’m sure that the club will miss the revenue from the 7/8 regular posters on here who don’t care. 

I’d rather it wasn’t Celtic. But it is. It’ll get us money. Great. But there is something to be said for not selling out (metaphorically speaking) entirely. Even if it is a meaningless game. 

22 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Agree. Don’t care if it’s a money spinning friendly. There is a point where you go “aye, I’ll take your money. But there is a bit of pride here” The SRE is the home stand that’s it. It’s undignified to be hooring it out. Makes us look utterly tinpot at a time when we’re doing all we can to shake that off. 

The young uns aren't pleased. I know a lot of folk have mixed feelings about 'the Ragazzi' or whatever they want to be known.

They are young and idealistic but you've got to respect their passion for the club. The short term cash boost wouldn't be worth the long term alienation of these young guys who've chosen being Ayr fans over the the easy option of the OF.

Giving up the HOME end is a horrible idea.

18 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

The young uns aren't pleased. I know a lot of folk have mixed feelings about 'the Ragazzi' or whatever they want to be known.

They are young and idealistic but you've got to respect their passion for the club. The short term cash boost wouldn't be worth the long term alienation of these young guys who've chosen being Ayr fans over the the easy option of the OF.

Giving up the HOME end is a horrible idea.

If they feel that strongly about it then just boycott the game. 

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

...and feared no team. A great time to be an Ayr supporter.

Folk are seeing the club not releasing tickets for the Somerset road end as the club preparing to sell it to Celtic fans. I think it is maybe more likely the case that they are trying to make it Ayr fans only and are trying to work out a practical way of doing that. 

I could be wrong and if I am, the club have fucked up. I am all for maximising revenue and selling as many tickets to Celtic fans as possible but not at the cost of Ayr fans who want to go to the game. I can't see any circumstances where any board would give the traditional home of the hardcore support away to another club. It obviously happened before but since the gate was installed, there is no need. 

Its a friendly, if it was a cup game, I'd like to think the club would be more robust

A bit of communication would put the speculation to bed surely.

And saying 'if you don't like it then don't go' is a bit weak. I understand the club trying to get more money in and this game will do that but not at the expense of our own fans.

I personally won't be going because I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing less than sharing air with the OF but you don't sell out your own fans who do want to go in exchange for a few quid from those mouth breathers.

I'm not fussed about us giving up some of the ground to the Celtic fans for this game if it was a competitive fixture it would  be a different story but like a lot im away on holiday so can't go anyway and If we make a bit more money and we spend it on a player that pushes us up the league I'm sure no one will be talking about us pimping the SRE out at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

If we had sold out the North Terrace you might have an argument! We haven’t though . Maybe it’s just time for Ayr “fans” to stop talking shit and start buying tickets .