The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Also seen on the SRE yesterday a lady had emailed the club about a few issues and received a reply.  One of the parts was about the sharp hike in catering prices.  The reply was more or less along the lines of they had looked across the board and seen the prices of other clubs and wanted to be in line with that.  Which is pretty lazy and poor.  Sure a pie last year was around £2/£2.50 to now £4.50.  

11 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Also seen on the SRE yesterday a lady had emailed the club about a few issues and received a reply.  One of the parts was about the sharp hike in catering prices.  The reply was more or less along the lines of they had looked across the board and seen the prices of other clubs and wanted to be in line with that.  Which is pretty lazy and poor.  Sure a pie last year was around £2/£2.50 to now £4.50.  

Mathie said that about gate prices a couple of years ago, he said he was bringing us in line with other clubs rather than saying - increase in operating costs, increase in energy prices etc. 

As CEO, he needs to make the club more money but there are ways of doing it without blatantly fleecing the support. 

8 hours ago, Thumper said:

In fairness, it is fairly wild that Ayr were sponsored by a gambling billionaire who swung so hard into crypto (behind a guy whose website the High Court has now judged has to declare himself a fraud) that for several years Ayr were sponsored by a completely worthless crypto project, all because the guy's surname sounded like the name of the town. Banter years semi-avoided on that one.

The sponsorship at the time was the biggest in the clubs history but described as less than less than his bar bill at some event. His sponsorship went a long way to keeping the lights on at Somerset at that time. The banter years started with Barr spunking money on signing anyone with two legs, then retiring at a whim and taking his cheque book with him in a David Murray style evacuation. 

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

That's actually quite off the mark.  He'll not grow much now in terms of height, but he has bulked up this summer, especially in his legs etc.  He looks much physically stronger.  He is just never going to have pace which will be half his problem and needs to learn the side of the game Moffat learnt later on in his career in terms of link up play etc.

If that’s the case then it isn’t making much difference as he still seems to bounce off defenders when competing for the ball. 

Yeah, if you aren’t faster or stronger then you need to be smarter than defenders. I just don’t see anyway that Bryden makes it with us. Mark McKenzie isn’t a Championship level player but he gets by on a good understanding on his position and instructions. He sacrifices a lot for better players around him and that’s why managers like him. 

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

If that’s the case then it isn’t making much difference as he still seems to bounce off defenders when competing for the ball. 

Yeah, if you aren’t faster or stronger then you need to be smarter than defenders. I just don’t see anyway that Bryden makes it with us. Mark McKenzie isn’t a Championship level player but he gets by on a good understanding on his position and instructions. He sacrifices a lot for better players around him and that’s why managers like him. 

Yeah absolutely.  I think like has been said, he's just been thrown in to the team with no real though about his development.  You can see what 6 months in the Lowland League has done for Watret, albeit a different position.

4 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

image.png.13d8f63633a9cf9a94598fe360c145a2.png

image.png.a3561d7ba14e06b86c1f7df98c7f61f7.png

since i looked at strikers here's midfielders 

Said about Jason Holt being unattached a couple of days ago.  Wotherspoon is at Dunfermline now.  Calum Butcher is an interesting one, would have still have the legs to do what Brown would want him to do?  Definitely a good experienced leader who has played at a decent level.

6 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

image.png.13d8f63633a9cf9a94598fe360c145a2.png

image.png.a3561d7ba14e06b86c1f7df98c7f61f7.png

since i looked at strikers here's midfielders 

I have a feeling Alston is one we could see rocking up here. Holt might feel that he could get a top flight gig if he waits a bit longer. Butcher is probably more what we need but I’ve got no idea how much he’s got left in the tank. 

Whilst we’re talking about signings, I’m guessing something will happen soon (in and out) since Brown said it’s likely stuff will happen before the Hamilton game. 

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Whilst we’re talking about signings, I’m guessing something will happen soon (in and out) since Brown said it’s likely stuff will happen before the Hamilton game. 

Where was that said?  Can't remember anything from the post match interview last week.

2 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Where was that said?  Can't remember anything from the post match interview last week.

Pre match ahead of the Buckie game I’m sure. I’m paraphrasing but I’m sure he said movement could happen before the first league game but it could be in or out.