Minimum Alcohol Pricing

scottsdad

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

Not a single quote in that article from anybody within the SNP to suggest that this is even a thing. But then again, any article that starts with "The nats..." has to be taken seriously.

It is a thing.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/consultation-restricting-alcohol-advertising-promotion/

1 minute ago, FFCinthearea said:

I'm well aware that there's a consultation on the subject of limiting alcohol marketing. But there's absolutely nothing contained within the details of this consultation that suggests removing logo's from pint glasses, umbrellas and t-shirts as the sun falsely states.

It'll likely be a limitation on sponsorship's and advertising boards which I personally think is a good thing. There would be a public outrage if a football club were to sponsor a tobacco company, so why should alcohol be treated any differently?

34 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

I'm well aware that there's a consultation on the subject of limiting alcohol marketing. But there's absolutely nothing contained within the details of this consultation that suggests removing logo's from pint glasses, umbrellas and t-shirts as the sun falsely states.

It'll likely be a limitation on sponsorship's and advertising boards which I personally think is a good thing. There would be a public outrage if a football club were to sponsor a tobacco company, so why should alcohol be treated any differently?

There’s a section on branded products, which includes “glasses and mugs”.

It’s not obvious that this includes glasses in pubs but it might.

In context, it looks a lot less crazy. It’s part of a considered and comprehensive strategy. 

Not sure that drinking out of a non branded glass is much of a hardship tbh.

9.6 One way we could seek to reduce the visibility of alcohol brands would be to prohibit the sale or distribution of alcohol-branded merchandise including T-shirts, jackets and baseball caps as well as branded glasses and mugs. These increase brand visbility and have more permanence than alcohol adverts on TV or on billboards. They are often re-used over time within our homes or, in the case of clothing, can become walking billboards in themselves.

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

There’s a section on branded products, which includes “glasses and mugs”.

It’s not obvious that this includes glasses in pubs but it might.

In context, it looks a lot less crazy. It’s part of a considered and comprehensive strategy. 

Not sure that drinking out of a non branded glass is much of a hardship tbh.

9.6 One way we could seek to reduce the visibility of alcohol brands would be to prohibit the sale or distribution of alcohol-branded merchandise including T-shirts, jackets and baseball caps as well as branded glasses and mugs. These increase brand visbility and have more permanence than alcohol adverts on TV or on billboards. They are often re-used over time within our homes or, in the case of clothing, can become walking billboards in themselves.

It would make no sense for them to ban branding in places where adults go to have a drink. This consultation is more about limiting the exposure of alcohol branding and advertising to minors. As for t-shirts, jackets, caps... etc. The only time I ever see people wearing these things with alcohol branded logo's is when that person is involved in a sponsorship deal with the company. You don't typically see joe public sporting his Tennant's t-shirt.

13 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

It would make no sense for them to ban branding in places where adults go to have a drink. This consultation is more about limiting the exposure of alcohol branding and advertising to minors. As for t-shirts, jackets, caps... etc. The only time I ever see people wearing these things with alcohol branded logo's is when that person is involved in a sponsorship deal with the company. You don't typically see joe public sporting his Tennant's t-shirt.

My student flat was full of T glasses and Tartan Special ashtrays. Probably influenced a fair few impressionable guests who are now living under bridges.

2 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

9.6 One way we could seek to reduce the visibility of alcohol brands would be to prohibit the sale or distribution of alcohol-branded merchandise including T-shirts, jackets and baseball caps as well as branded glasses and mugs. These increase brand visbility and have more permanence than alcohol adverts on TV or on billboards. They are often re-used over time within our homes or, in the case of clothing, can become walking billboards in themselves.

10 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

9.6 One way we could seek to reduce the visibility of alcohol brands would be to prohibit the sale or distribution of alcohol-branded merchandise including T-shirts, jackets and baseball caps as well as branded glasses and mugs. These increase brand visbility and have more permanence than alcohol adverts on TV or on billboards. They are often re-used over time within our homes or, in the case of clothing, can become walking billboards in themselves.

Who in Scotland owns alcohol branded t-shirts, jackets and baseball caps? I know literally nobody in Scotland that does. The only people I see wearing these things are celebrities and sports personalities who are paid to sponsor the company or product. I don't see anybody walking around outside with their Strongbow cap. Do you?

15 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

Who in Scotland owns alcohol branded t-shirts, jackets and baseball caps? I know literally nobody in Scotland that does. The only people I see wearing these things are celebrities and sports personalities who are paid to sponsor the company or product. I don't see anybody walking around outside with their Strongbow cap. Do you?

I think it's more about glasses etc.    For example, if you're in a bar or restaurant a glass will generally have the brand logo on it and they believe that the wee poor weans will have their minds warped.    That's my take on it anyway.

I don't really get that tbh. Who in a pub, full of alcohol etc, is being swayed into buying a pint because a pint of lager on someone else's table has a nice red T on it?

Ultimately, so long as I can still buy beer etc I don't really care what glass it is in, this just strikes me as even more nannying.

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Think I've deliberately chosen a lager to nick the glass before.

I was in a bar in The Netherlands that had a basket above the bar. If you ordered a certain beer, you had to put one of your shoes in the basket before you were given the glass of beer. You got your shoe back when you returned the glass.

4 hours ago, FFCinthearea said:

Sounds like they want to stop companies selling branded glasses, not stop there being branded glasses in pubs.

All a bit daft either way. They need to chill on this.

3 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Used to get folk come into the pub I worked in who refused to drink out a glass with the wrong brand, so no stella in a tenants glass "it tastes wrong mate", anything that gets away from that kind of chat has got to be a good thing.

It doesn't taste wrong, but it looks absolutely awful. Look mate, if I'm paying a premium for a pint of Stella, it better come in a Stella glass. All the cheapo blue collared Tennents drinkers have to know that I'm above them in the social order, otherwise I'm just throwing my money away.