Minimum Alcohol Pricing

scottsdad

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/19944484.airport-pubs-scottish-licensing-leader-backs-restrictions/?ref=twtrec

Those horrible b*****ds snatched my milk when I was at primary school and they’ve not changed

Milk and alcohol.

Good tune.

13 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Can you clarify - are you saying that lower class people are more prone to this than middle class folk, or that the middle class have this perception of the lower class?

I'm suggesting that middle class folk like to sneer at lower class folk for having a drink problem while having a massive drink problem themselves. I get that this is a sweeping generalisation. But I think it's true. 

Approximately 30% of alcohol consumption occurs on licensed premises (according to stats I could find),

so limiting licensing hours anywhere seems an irrelevance. 

IMO, pub drinking, on the whole, is the kind of socially acceptable drinking style that should be encouraged.

As a % of an individual's consumption I would think airport drinking is miniscule.

I'm not in favour of minimum alcohol pricing.  The reasons behind alcohol abuse are societal

and won't be seriously addressed by fiscal measures.   

8 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I'm suggesting that middle class folk like to sneer at lower class folk for having a drink problem while having a massive drink problem themselves. I get that this is a sweeping generalisation. But I think it's true. 

Higher income groups drink more alcohol and drink more frequently than lower income groups.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1124969/alcohol-consumption-frequency-by-income-uk/

There is a persistent group of "very low income, very high alcohol consumption" drinkers but it's a small group.  Most people who are poor or on low incomes don't drink a lot.

There is a better chart somewhere for this trend in Scotland but I can't find it.

• 2 months later...
46 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Website for the think tank in question
https://iea.org.uk/

You always have to be aware of who is writing what and if they have an agenda. Doesn't necessarily make it false but needs to be kept in mind.

Christopher Snowdon.

Christopher John Snowdon is a British author and freelance journalist. He writes for Spiked magazine and other publications. He is particularly known as a vocal opponent of government intervention in matters such as alcohol and obesity; his Twitter biography used to state that he is "not that keen on the nanny state.

(2) John Duffy | LinkedIn 

image.png.dd28112563ed19cf40bde8d91f7ffdb3.png

(2) Mark Tovey | LinkedIn Mail Online journalist

The website doesn’t explain who funds them but the British Medical Journal found that they were receiving funds from big tobacco companies

I’d be surprised if they weren’t serving as paid mouthpieces of the Alcohol industry here

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Minimum unit price not changing alcoholics' habits - BBC News

I'm sure their answer will be to raise the MUP, but that would be difficult politically with a cost of living crisis already hitting the population. The last thing the government would want to do is make it worse.

Totally agree. 

It is a failed policy but the government will never come out and say "We got it wrong, we'll repeal it". They'll just keep the MUP at 50p and let inflation take its course. 

41 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Totally agree. 

It is a failed policy but the government will never come out and say "We got it wrong, we'll repeal it". They'll just keep the MUP at 50p and let inflation take its course. 

Isn't that article concentrating upon those that suffer the worst affects of alcoholism?

I read that as the poor souls that are at the end of the spectrum.

As such and given that it does also speak of nuance, I think it is a stretch to extrapolate and declare the policy a failure.

30 minutes ago, sophia said:

Isn't that article concentrating upon those that suffer the worst affects of alcoholism?

I read that as the poor souls that are at the end of the spectrum.

As such and given that it does also speak of nuance, I think it is a stretch to extrapolate and declare the policy a failure.

I wasn't stating the policy as a failure based on this one article. It caused a very brief drop in alcohol purchasing in 2018 which then returned to normal levels again afterwards. Didn't even bring alcohol buying down to 2014 levels.

And the evidence is that for those at the extreme end of the spectrum, they just stopped paying for heating and eating to use the little money they had left on alcohol. And so, caused indirect health consequences on these poor folk. 

It’s been that long I can’t even remember what the chat was at the time of it's introduction

Was MUP brought in to target alcoholics?

I was thought it was overall more aimed at our culture of boozing to excess on cheap readily available alcohol 

57 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

It’s been that long I can’t even remember what the chat was at the time of it's introduction

Was MUP brought in to target alcoholics?

I was thought it was overall more aimed at our culture of boozing to excess on cheap readily available alcohol 

This was my impression of things also.