United Biscuits United

Commonly abbreviated 'UB United' but glorying in the full moniker 'United Biscuits United' this Strathclyde Saturday Morning FL side contest the West of Scotland Amateur Cup final at Hamilton tomorrow. I'm assuming it's a works team/endorsement from the Tollcross factory, ex-"McVities".

united-biscuits.jpgub_new_badge.JPG

What other examples survive of:

1) works/institution clubs (e.g. Inverurie Loco Works/Motherwell War Office);

2) repetition (e.g. Rutherglen Glencairn)?

1) Bayer Leverkusen, Carl Zeiss Jena and Ferranti Thistle spring to mind here. Almost all professional Japanese teams were born from company sponsored teams that existed before the foundation of the J-league. For example Sanfrecce Hiroshima was known as Mazda Sports Club pre J-league

2) Colo Colo are a top side in Chile.

1) PSV (Philips Sport Verenging) Eindhoven in the Netherlands and Quilmes Atletico Club in Argentina, although probably named after the district not the beer even though nickname is The Brewers.

English non-league sides Vauxhall Motors and Swindon Supermarine.

2) Woy Woy FC

not sure what the current incarnation is called - just Leamington FC I think - but Lockheed Leamington in the midlands were started in the late 1930's as the works team of the company that went on to become Automotive Products

in the 1980's there was a team called Road Sea Southampton who played in the Southern League - works team of a freight forwarding company based on the Solent

more locally to where I am now, there was British Oil & Cake Mills in the medway towns and various paper mill teams in the Kent League; Cray Valley Paper Mills F C started in 1919 and are still going

Prescot Cables on merseyside - derived from the British Insulated Cable company

if you're going to count miner's welfare clubs, there were Betteshanger and Snowdown, also Kent League, plus - obviously - loads in Yorkshire, the north east and the like which are still going - Brodsworth, Bentley Victoria, Rainworth in Notts - Frickley Athletic used to be Frickley Colliery Athletic, Atherton Colliery in Manchester etc.....

and - of course - Manchester United started life as Newton Heath Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway...

suppose we'd best add another couple of high profile works teams to the list too:

West Ham United (Thames Ironworks & Shipbuilding Company)

Arsenal (Dial Square - part of the Royal Woolwich Arsenal)

and when Arsenal went professional, the workers at the same place formed Royal Ordnance Factories F.C  who played in the Southern League

...and a quick look at a comprehensive list of football club names indicates that there are loads and loads of other examples  - A C Delco, Brydon Ropes, Stamco, BAT Sports, AFC Zeneca, Martin Baker Sports (ejector seat manufacturers !) - loads of 'em 

before the infamous Scotland-Italy game in 2007 I seem to recall going to see an amateur game at cathkin park between third Lanark and RR east Kilbride, the RR  standing for rolls Royce. Would that be correct or am I talking pish?

Sevco....

The Welsh leagues seem to be good for works teams past and present, TNS, Airbus FC and Inter CableTel.

Off topic a little but I've played ice hockey against a team called Dundee Michelin who's badge is the Michelin man with a hockey stick in his hand. I believe they were founded in the 80s as a factory team, I found it strange to think there were that many amateur  ice hockey players working in the factory at the time to form their own team. Unless there were a lot of migrant workers from places like Czechoslovakia etc

Forres Mechanics must have had some mechanics play for them at some time. PSNI and Harland & Wolff Welders in Irish League 2nd tier. A lot of Austrian Bundesliga teams have sponsors in their name, Flyeralarm Admira, Cashpoint SCR Altach, RZ Pellets WAC, Red Bull Salzburg.

Burntisland Shipyard. They could've derbied with Rosyth Dockyard.

Dunbar Blue Circle (connected with the cement works), Edinburgh City Police, Edinburgh Civil Service, Ferranti Thistle and Postal Utd (who are now Edinburgh City the SPFL2 club) all used to play in the East of Scotland League.

Crichton Royal (the hospital) played in SOSL.

Babcock & Wilcox and Glasgow Corporation Transport played in the Scottish Cup until the 1960s-70s.

Been various uni/college, military and school FPs. Inverurie could've derbied with Hyde Park Loco Works.

EDIT: India Inchinnan - the rubbertyre manufacturers - used to join the big boys in the Renfrewshire Cup.

Dumbarton Union - was that the poorhouse?

20 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Forres Mechanics must have had some mechanics play for them at some time. PSNI and Harland & Wolff Welders in Irish League 2nd tier. A lot of Austrian Bundesliga teams have sponsors in their name, Flyeralarm Admira, Cashpoint SCR Altach, RZ Pellets WAC, Red Bull Salzburg.

I'm sure that just before Forres Mechanics played Sevco in the Scottish Cup @craigkillie edited the Forres wikipedia page to include some nonsense about the origin of the 'Mechanics' suffix only for some of our dearly beloved media outlets to publish this nonsense as fact.

up to the mid 90's there was a team playing in Herfordshire (I C L Letchworth) who were the direct descendants of the marvelously named Hollerith Tabulator Sports FC who had played in the 1950's

a Hollerith Tabulator was an early form of computer - some sort of punched card reader - which were produced by the British Tabulating Machine Company, based in Hertfordshire, and who made the machines that the boffins at Bletchley Park used to break the German codes in the war !

this lot evolved in to International Computers & Tabulators Ltd - who ended up buying the computing division of Ferranti :)

49 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

I'm sure that just before Forres Mechanics played Sevco in the Scottish Cup @craigkillie edited the Forres wikipedia page to include some nonsense about the origin of the 'Mechanics' suffix only for some of our dearly beloved media outlets to publish this nonsense as fact.

Yep, this happened.  It made it into The Telegraph and The Daily Record.

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Yep, this happened.  It made it into The Telegraph and The Daily Record.

i'm hugely in favour of making stuff up and passing it off as fact; there are a good few ice hockey fans in Buffalo, New York who are absolutely convinced that the term "hat-trick" comes from an old farming term along the lines of - three handfuls of wheat make a sheaf, three sheaves make a stook, and three stooks make  a rick; and when the three stooks are stood up in the field the rick looks like a conical hat - hence a hat-rick for anything involving multiples of three

sounds complete bollocks, obviously, but when you then post accompanying pictures of ancient English folk-rituals involving pointy straw hats - very like these mooted "hat ricks" - then it all becomes far more plausible

particularly if you are an american and therefore congenitally moronic...

47accb4c5279f703db57ae5bec40cf0e.jpg

http://www.ncefl.org.uk/  

There's more miners teams than you can shake a stick at in the NCEL.

Off the top of my head Billingham Synthonia in the NL. I think Washington might have been the Nissan works team at one time. Jarrow Roofing, although that's a sponsorship thing. Bridon Ropes in the SCEL.

Archived