The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

22 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I don't know his name yet but the committee, led by the president, will be looking for someone ambitious enough to take us out of this league and stabilise us in L1. Safe pair of hands won't be enough. I'm 100% behind them.

Ambition is fine, but we can’t pretend the trapdoor is not there and we’re as much at risk as anyone of falling through it in the coming years. If we go down, it’s a long, long road back. The time will come when we’re in a battle to avoid it. That’s absolutely inevitable, whether it’s this year, next year, five years, or ten years down the line.

Our ambitions have to be rooted in realism. An amateur club who will inevitably lose our best players, whether all at once or drip drip effect, is highly unlikely to establish itself as a stable League One side for more than a couple of seasons, as history shows. As usual, the difficult, but not unachievable aim in League Two would be promotion playoffs. If we managed to achieve promotion, the aim would be survival by any means possible. That won’t ever change for as long as we’re amateur and that’s fine. That’s our level. 

18 minutes ago, an86 said:

Ambition is fine, but we can’t pretend the trapdoor is not there and we’re as much at risk as anyone of falling through it in the coming years. If we go down, it’s a long, long road back. The time will come when we’re in a battle to avoid it. That’s absolutely inevitable, whether it’s this year, next year, five years, or ten years down the line.

Our ambitions have to be rooted in realism. An amateur club who will inevitably lose our best players, whether all at once or drip drip effect, is highly unlikely to establish itself as a stable League One side for more than a couple of seasons, as history shows. As usual, the difficult, but not unachievable aim in League Two would be promotion playoffs. If we managed to achieve promotion, the aim would be survival by any means possible. That won’t ever change for as long as we’re amateur and that’s fine. That’s our level. 

Okay. If you say so.

Can't imagine Duffy or mcculloch applying for the job. Would like to think they'll have higher ambitions managing at league 1 level minimum. I'd say someone like Barry Smith would be a more realistic appointment. 

Edited by qpfc

Think his stock has fallen a bit since EK
Short and unsuccessful spell at Arthurlie last season which ended up in them being relegated

Didn’t know it didn’t end well at Arthurlie , but personally I would like to see some fresh talent in the managerial ranks even with the risks associated instead of the same old faces as safe as they may be .

Remebering managers like Hartley,Lauchlan,Barry smith and McIntyres of the world all have mortgages to pay and out of work...

Its no nice losing a good manager but same time is a wee buzz thinking and talking about who's getting it if its your club..

Duffy would be a good appointment. Very under rated.

On 9/20/2018 at 21:37, qpfc said:

Can't imagine Duffy or mcculloch applying for the job. Would like to think they'll have higher ambitions managing at league 1 level minimum. I'd say someone like Barry Smith would be a more realistic appointment. 

When you're sitting in the house watching Judge Judy and the Love Boat every day, I would reckon that the QP job would be a higher ambition than that.  

I'd be looking for someone who is a winner.  Gus was that, and a great choice; we'll do very well to get anyone as good.  The last five games of the season we went up were classic.....tense as feck but absolutely classic.

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Whatever you do, don't appoint Roberts. Couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag.

Just wait... you'll go and thump Edinburgh City tomorrow now I've said that.

What was the story at Ayr? What did he inherit, how much time did he get, signings, style of play, background problems etc? Everything, basically.

10 hours ago, an86 said:

What was the story at Ayr? What did he inherit, how much time did he get, signings, style of play, background problems etc? Everything, basically.

Where to begin?

He took over at the end of season 2011-12 from Brian Reid after we got relegated from the Championship again. Admittedly, the budget was less than Reid had.

1st season (2012/2013) - He signed some awful jobbers like Austin McCann, refused to play Jackson Longridge, managed to square go our own fans away to Albion Rovers and continued to play himself. We struggled to 7th in League One playing insipid hoof ball. If it wasn't for Michael Moffat we'd have probably been relegated. 

I actually stopped my season ticket at this point as I was so frustrated.

2nd season (2013/14) - He signed David Hutton , Anthony Marenghi, Gordon Pope, Kevin Kyle & Craig Malcolm. Although he repeatedly played Craig Malcolm out of position. Continued to launch the ball long at fat Kyle who at this stage couldn't jump an inch off the ground and would fall over claiming a foul. By some miracle (Michael Moffat's goals) we scraped 4th in League One by a point. Then got soundly pumped by Cowdenbeath 5-2 on aggregate. Roberts retains his job despite supporter discontent as he met his objectives (ie. Playoffs). Moffat leaves us for Dunfermline.

3rd season (2014/15) - His pattern of signing absolute jobbers and not playing young players continues. Kevin McKinlay, Nicky Devlin (actually good!), John Paul McGovern & Craig Beattie sign. Craig Beattie was a perma crock. We start the season with 4 wins, 1 draw & 1 loss not playing well to be honest. Then proceed to win 1 in 11 (sit 2nd bottom) with Roberts getting sacked in December when the board were left with no choice. Our attendances were into the mid hundreds for some home games. The club appoint Ian McCall who only just manages to salvage our season as we finish 8th and the rest is history. I'm confident had Roberts remained we would have been in League 2.

In summary:

Mark Roberts played old has beens rather than youths.

I think he struggled to move from the joker in the dressing room to manager.  

Michael Moffat's goals papered over the cracks of his team's in his first 2 seasons.

He was totally out of his depth, I remember he even invited a fan to the dugout to give instructions to the team.

He was an arrogant t**t to boot and wouldn't admit he was out of his depth. Square going your own fans is never good...

My advice even if he wins every game as caretaker do not appoint him!

P.S. Apologies for gazumping your thread but you did ask.

3 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

How would he get in the bag in the first place? Don’t leave us hanging...

Our board saw him as the cheap option to be honest.

The only highlight of his reign for me (and it was right at the start) was when we played Bolton Wanderers in pre-season (they had just been relegated from the EPL) at Somerset. We were 1 nil down and Roberts subbed himself on and scored for us to draw 1-1. It was real Roy of the Rovers stuff. 

It went rapidly downhill from there...

Anyways I've said my piece, best of luck for the season and good luck with the Hampden shenanigans.  Always enjoy a game against you, although our Irn Bru Cup game this season was as dull as... Good luck in that as well!