Toulon Tourney 2018

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You leave Jason Kerr alone, hes hugely impressive for us and is arguably first choice centre half. Feel like this "tactic" is making everyone look a lot worse than they actually are.

The centre half who isn't Porteous actually looked fairly comfortable on the ball.  I'll guess that's Kerr.  But yeah, I'm not going to write off any of the players on the basis of having to play Scotland Gemmill's hoofball.

ETA: Iain (Ian?) Wilson isn't one of yours, is he? 

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

The centre half who isn't Porteous actually looked fairly comfortable on the ball.  I'll guess that's Kerr.  But yeah, I'm not going to write off any of the players on the basis of having to play Scotland Gemmill's hoofball.

Aye thats him, he's prone to "no risk" football at times (he'll just pump the ball forward to nobody), but thats been drilled into him due to the amount of times he overplays it and almost gets caught. 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Aye thats him, he's prone to "no risk" football at times (he'll just pump the ball forward to nobody), but thats been drilled into him due to the amount of times he overplays it and almost gets caught. 

Perfect, as that's Gemmill's only tactic.

55 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

ETA: Iain (Ian?) Wilson isn't one of yours, is he? 

Iain Wilson's one of ours (Killie). One of the few who actually played ok under McCulloch at the start of the last season, picked up an injury in September then missed most of he season.

He's a decent prospect as a holding midfielder as he reads the game well but for a big lad doesn't jump well and needs on work on his athleticism. If he gets that right his passing and touch will improve as he looked like he was blowing out his erse from early in the match.

Tactics were rank though. Looks like Wilson had been asked to drop constantly in to make a back 3 with Kerr and Porteous to (in theory) let the fullbacks bomb on. Unfortunately it also looked like they were told to play it long to Hornby and Burke for the midfield to feed off. Route 1 tedium.

Iain Wilson's one of ours (Killie). One of the few who actually played ok under McCulloch at the start of the last season, picked up an injury in September then missed most of he season.

He's a decent prospect as a holding midfielder as he reads the game well but for a big lad doesn't jump well and needs on work on his athleticism. If he gets that right his passing and touch will improve as he looked like he was blowing out his erse from early in the match.

Tactics were rank though. Looks like Wilson had been asked to drop constantly in to make a back 3 with Kerr and Porteous to (in theory) let the fullbacks bomb on. Unfortunately it also looked like they were told to play it long to Hornby and Burke for the midfield to feed off. Route 1 tedium.

Yeah. He kept drifting into left centre back. I think his lack of mobility is going to hold him back. As well as Scotland’s management.

Reminded me of an inbred-looking Bert Konterman.

Did Billy Gilmour get on the pitch?

Course not. He’s not tall enough.

I listened to Gemmell, Mackay et al on sportsound the other week.

They discussed developing technical players, and also mentioned playing those with the most technical ability regardless of size.

Yet they are in charge of the 21’s here, stick a huge guy up front and fire long balls at him. If you’re going to pick Burke play him in his actual position out wide. His early success was quite clearly based on bursting forward from deep at pace. Why do they insist on playing him up front.

7 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

They discussed developing technical players, and also mentioned playing those with the most technical ability regardless of size.

Yet they are in charge of the 21’s here, stick a huge guy up front and fire long balls at him. If you’re going to pick Burke play him in his actual position out wide. His early success was quite clearly based on bursting forward from deep at pace. Why do they insist on playing him up front.

He played on the right wing. 

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Well that’s embarrassing - as you can tell I didn’t watch it and was going on prior games.

No excuses for Burke being apparently rancid then.

Tbf he spent most of the second half very high up the pitch, but on the right. Looked totally uninterested until he got the ball, he then either got dispossessed, or passed it, and went back to just walking about. 

Tbf he spent most of the second half very high up the pitch, but on the right. Looked totally uninterested until he got the ball, he then either got dispossessed, or passed it, and went back to just walking about. 

Hopefully his new manager at West Brom will give him a rocket.

Certainly an odd one though, as at least he’s turning up for the 21’s. Particularly after being a senior squad regular for a while.

22 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Yep I heard that On Sportsound too. They came across really well.

Disappointing that it would appear not to be the case.

Didn't see the first game thought it was today,so going by the posts we have no chance of winning it?

Given Togo could barely pass the ball, and their keeper was an absolute bombscare, Scotland had every chance. Except they just launched long balls up to Bruce Hornsby for 90 minutes.

Honestly, I’ve seen club managers sacked for performances like that. Imagine a Big Sam team minus the skill.

Edited to add France and Korea are going to run circles around us.

Archived