Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

8 hours ago, MattyAitkenSuperFan said:

I mean, apart from the fact he's mince, we have genuinely been poorer when he's in the side. 

But hey, if you're cool with watching us be total diddies as long as 'gaz' plays, more power to ya. 

It's just his usual "look at me" patter.

I did find it funny him calling supporters "morons" when I think of the long long list of rubbish he's come away with. Claiming too that Harkins has had to "step up" when there's been midfielders sitting on the bench including Thomas at Annan!?

Edited by Jupiter Jazz

Guest mr_malcolm
Must say, im pleased for Matty Aitken that he'll avoid all my nonsensical slagging this weekend thanks to MunD. 

Why would you go to a game to slag one of your own players based on their performance

15 minutes ago, mr_malcolm said:

Why would you go to a game to slag one of your own players based on their performance

Well, if im paying to watch the side, im obviously going to voice my displeasure at Matthews lack of interest in running. 

You must be part of the happy clapping brigade, nice to finally meet a member. 

Kyle Hutton is an atrocious signing. Surely can't seriously be thinking of playing him and Harkins in the same midfield.

Forfar are clearly going to get the play offs but you do sense the wheels have fell off in a big way.

Granted it was a few years ago now, but Kyle Hutton was a player who certainly provoked seriously strong emotions in Sons fans.

Some thought he was our best player and should've been the first name on our teamsheet every week. Others thought he was absolutely garbage, lazy, immobile and offered nothing going forward.

I was somewhere in the middle of all that. On his day Kyle Hutton was a very good midfielder in the Championship for us. He bossed the 2018 Challenge Cup final against Inverness, and put in one of his best showings in a Sons shirt away at St Mirren - where he's a bit of a hate figure.

He can be a really powerful force, he's got a good range of passing and he'll always look for the ball. On the other hand he's also quite clumsy, can get caught in possession a fair whack and didn't register a single goal in 110+ outings for us.

He definitely upped his game in the bigger matches, and then could get a bit lazy when we were jobbing it with someone like Brechin or Stenny. Jim Duffy rated him very highly though, he was a guaranteed starter for us every week under Duffy, he wore the armband a good few times and Duffy even had him taking corners and free kicks for a spell (without any success). He won almost everything at our POTY in 2020 before moving to EK as he wanted to be at a team challenging for trophies. 

Despite having a cracking season in 19/20, I don't think many people did much more than shrug when he moved on. Him and Stuart Carswell were paired together for a good number of seasons and it didn't really work. Carsy has looked a better player without him. 

For me, he's a someone who needs the right manager. He needs someone to push him, challenge him and maybe even wind him up a wee bit. Get him playing as if he feels like he has a point to prove. Jim Duffy did that and reaped the rewards. Stevie Aitken maybe tried a bit too much to be his pal, and as a result he could be sloppy.

I got to know him a wee bit during his time with us and, despite being incredibly whingey on the park, he was a nice guy off it. Him and Harkins sounds like a recipe for disaster, but hopefully it works out better in reality.

Guest mr_malcolm
Well, if im paying to watch the side, im obviously going to voice my displeasure at Matthews lack of interest in running. 
You must be part of the happy clapping brigade, nice to finally meet a member. 

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying about him. But I’m my opinion your energy would be more help used in a positive way.

A lot of people only go to watch the games to shout at players and let off steam , we must be one of the worst clubs in Scotland for it

Guest mr_malcolm
Kyle Hutton is an atrocious signing. Surely can't seriously be thinking of playing him and Harkins in the same midfield.
Forfar are clearly going to get the play offs but you do sense the wheels have fell off in a big way.

Yup. Huttons got tits similar size to Doris tae

51 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Granted it was a few years ago now, but Kyle Hutton was a player who certainly provoked seriously strong emotions in Sons fans.

Some thought he was our best player and should've been the first name on our teamsheet every week. Others thought he was absolutely garbage, lazy, immobile and offered nothing going forward.

I was somewhere in the middle of all that. On his day Kyle Hutton was a very good midfielder in the Championship for us. He bossed the 2018 Challenge Cup final against Inverness, and put in one of his best showings in a Sons shirt away at St Mirren - where he's a bit of a hate figure.

He can be a really powerful force, he's got a good range of passing and he'll always look for the ball. On the other hand he's also quite clumsy, can get caught in possession a fair whack and didn't register a single goal in 110+ outings for us.

He definitely upped his game in the bigger matches, and then could get a bit lazy when we were jobbing it with someone like Brechin or Stenny. Jim Duffy rated him very highly though, he was a guaranteed starter for us every week under Duffy, he wore the armband a good few times and Duffy even had him taking corners and free kicks for a spell (without any success). He won almost everything at our POTY in 2020 before moving to EK as he wanted to be at a team challenging for trophies. 

Despite having a cracking season in 19/20, I don't think many people did much more than shrug when he moved on. Him and Stuart Carswell were paired together for a good number of seasons and it didn't really work. Carsy has looked a better player without him. 

For me, he's a someone who needs the right manager. He needs someone to push him, challenge him and maybe even wind him up a wee bit. Get him playing as if he feels like he has a point to prove. Jim Duffy did that and reaped the rewards. Stevie Aitken maybe tried a bit too much to be his pal, and as a result he could be sloppy.

I got to know him a wee bit during his time with us and, despite being incredibly whingey on the park, he was a nice guy off it. Him and Harkins sounds like a recipe for disaster, but hopefully it works out better in reality.

Genuinely willing to give Hutton a chance, I definitely think there’s a player in there, it’s just to get him to show it that might prove difficult.

Not sure he can be much worse than some of the midfield players that have played there this season.

he didn’t do an awful lot wrong against Edinburgh, granted he didn’t get long & we lost, so not gonna be judging him on that performance.

I can’t bare to think if we lost Slater to injury though, that would be an absolute disaster! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Cheers Jan, we're fair racking up the ex-Sons in this team, good to hear something a bit more positive about him

Cheers Jan, we're fair racking up the ex-Sons in this team, good to hear something a bit more positive about him

You really are! If it makes you feel better then I think most of our fans would say that Hutton was a far better player for us than Stef or PJ. I’d probably include Tam Brindley in that too, although he didn’t really leave much of an impression and spent a lot of time out of position.

5 hours ago, mr_malcolm said:

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying about him. But I’m my opinion your energy would be more help used in a positive way.

A lot of people only go to watch the games to shout at players and let off steam , we must be one of the worst clubs in Scotland for it

Id say we all attend with the hope of a positive result, but unfortunately, some players couldn't give a s**t and frankly they need to hear our displeasure. 

But as i said, Munro is getting it for the foreseeable purely because hes a cretin. 

You really are! If it makes you feel better then I think most of our fans would say that Hutton was a far better player for us than Stef or PJ. I’d probably include Tam Brindley in that too, although he didn’t really leave much of an impression and spent a lot of time out of position.
Cheers, Stef has been great, maybe helped by being largely injury free and getting a bit of confidence.

I'm still unsure of PJ, has a bit of skill but not quick. I do know he's had his struggles with injury but he's had a wee run in the team now

21 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Cheers, Stef has been great, maybe helped by being largely injury free and getting a bit of confidence.

I'm still unsure of PJ, has a bit of skill but not quick. I do know he's had his struggles with injury but he's had a wee run in the team now

PJ is a funny one. I spoke to one of his former teammates quite soon after he signed for us, and he couldn't have been any more positive about his ability. But followed it up with, "has his hamstring gone yet"?

He was quite effective for us in his first season and stayed, by and large, injury free. His second season was a bit of a disaster. Because of his naturally stocky build I think he puts on weight quite quickly when he's not fit, so lockdown probably wasn't great for him. He then got injured early in the season, and struggled to be anything more than a sub after that once he got injury free again. His sharpness wasn't there because of his lack of gametime and he didn't look to have the match fitness to last 90 minutes. He only played a full game twice for us in the league in the whole of last season.

On his day he can be a matchwinner. But that only seems to happen once or twice a season.