Kieran Tierney

I'm fine with Tierney playing part time with Arsenal. His injury history means that regular starts for his club and for his country are mutually exclusive.

I'd obviously love for him to be flying and flourishing at Arsenal, but I'm also thinking that he would frequently call off for international duty as the club and he seek to "manage" his injuries.

I created a table comparing the number of minutes KT has played at left back compared to other Arsenal players. He's doing quite well comparatively for minutes, but isn't starting games which remains questionable in my mind as to how important that is in the modern game.

Is it better to have played more minutes or to have made more starts? Generally speaking, I'd probably say the former personally.

image.png.1e59b948a67414120bdfb282815584b0.png

Edited by 2426255

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I created a table comparing the number of minutes KT has played at left back compared to other Arsenal players. He's doing quite well comparatively for minutes, but isn't starting games which remains questionable in my mind as to how important that is in the modern game.

Is it better to have played more minutes or to have made more starts? Generally speaking, I'd probably say the former personally.

Preseason is a bit different though. Minutes in pre-season are more important because it’s about getting players back up to match fitness and managers will want to have a look at the full squad, especially new players coming in.

That’s different to competitive games where I think starts are more important. Coming on to see out the last 10mins of a match isn’t the biggest contribution and I would be surprised if a player doing that honestly felt like an integral part of the team.

I still think the aim of most players is to be playing in and starting the big games and to be recognised as part of the first 11 and not a benchwarmer.

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

How many minutes overall, have all the Arsenal defenders had in all positions? I think that might be a better indicator of where Tierney ranks in the pecking order, especially with Zinchenco out

On 28/07/2023 at 16:20, Captain_Sensible said:

How many minutes overall, have all the Arsenal defenders had in all positions? I think that might be a better indicator of where Tierney ranks in the pecking order, especially with Zinchenco out

After 71 minutes against Man Utd, Arsenal had only three defenders on the pitch (White, Gabriel and Tierney), possibly in a back three which would explain the total number of minutes being less that 360. I haven't seen the game to verify if that's what actually happened.

Arsenal finish pre-season with a game against Monaco before playing the Community Shield, but in my opinion KT has played an acceptable number of minutes so far even if the trend from last season appears to have continued where he isn't viewed as one of the "First XI".

image.png.566fca878a0ce92f7700e133dd07bac7.png

It's my view that Kieran Tierney is around 6th in the pecking order of all defenders behind Gabriel, White, Saliba, Timber and Zinchenko while being 2nd or 3rd choice left back depending on how Arsenal use Jurrien Timber.

Edited by 2426255

23 hours ago, 2426255 said:

image.png.566fca878a0ce92f7700e133dd07bac7.png

It's my view that Kieran Tierney is around 6th in the pecking order of all defenders behind Gabriel, White, Saliba, Timber and Zinchenko while being 2nd or 3rd choice left back depending on how Arsenal use Jurrien Timber.

I think Timber signing is an important development for Tierney. Seems to be doing the inverted job from RB as opposed to Zinchenko always doing it from LB last year. Now assuming he wants only one of his full backs to do that (and if it's wise to just try and ape Man City's tactics but with worse players) then Tierney as the FB tucking in to lcb/occasionally getting forward in the wide positions as he does with Scotland could be a possibility for arsenal. Have to see how Timber gets on but that's potentially a higher quality combination of roles than White and Zinchenko.

30 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

I think Timber signing is an important development for Tierney. Seems to be doing the inverted job from RB as opposed to Zinchenko always doing it from LB last year. Now assuming he wants only one of his full backs to do that (and if it's wise to just try and ape Man City's tactics but with worse players) then Tierney as the FB tucking in to lcb/occasionally getting forward in the wide positions as he does with Scotland could be a possibility for arsenal. Have to see how Timber gets on but that's potentially a higher quality combination of roles than White and Zinchenko.

I thought this could've opened up an opportunity for Tierney too, but Arteta was trusting Kiwior in this role at the end of last season. It could have been a case of Arteta going with the guy he knew would be there the following season, but it was still quite disappointing. 

I still think it will be more mix and match rather than all the strongest XI chat. Arsenal will have a lot of games that'll present different problems and it's my view that we'll see Arsenal be quite flexible in how they approach games or change them up mid game depending upon the opponents or the situation in game situation etc.

If you look at the strength in depth Arsenal have all over the pitch I think it's an oversimplification to view their team in terms of their best XI.

This won’t be a popular view on here but I’m not convinced Tierney will even make the bench for Arsenal if everyone is fit this season. You’d think their first choice back four remains White at RB, Zinchenko at LB and then Saliba and Gabriel in the middle. Teams usually have three of their nine bench spots for defenders. Timber will clearly make the bench as their second RB, Kiwior will be the CB backup and then it’s either KT or Tomiyasu for the last spot, but I think the Japanese player may be preferred given his versatility. 

Just now, Donathan said:

This won’t be a popular view on here but I’m not convinced Tierney will even make the bench for Arsenal if everyone is fit this season. You’d think their first choice back four remains White at RB, Zinchenko at LB and then Saliba and Gabriel in the middle. Teams usually have three of their nine bench spots for defenders. Timber will clearly make the bench as their second RB, Kiwior will be the CB backup and then it’s either KT or Tomiyasu for the last spot, but I think the Japanese player may be preferred given his versatility. 

I think Kieran Tierney would have/ will move club if that's his situation going into the season. It's been reported he has discussed his situation with Mikel Arteta, therefore I think it's unlikely that he won't get reasonable game time. It's easy to be a bit 'glass half empty' but I'd recommend trying to stay positive and see how the season unfolds.

Just now, Donathan said:

Tierney on and almost immediately at fault for a goal 

He was very much at fault, but Thomas Partey was even more to blame.  Do you think Ghanaians on fantedorkunuandpalmwine.com (a cursory google search brought those up - other Ghanaian dishes are available ) are lining up to castigate him?  

Anyway, the goal was of a quality this game scarcely deserves.  

1 hour ago, dundeefc1783 said:

This is what I find strange he is getting a decent amount of game time off the bench but 3 other players starting ahead of him so far this pre season and Zinchenko still to come back in. 

Aye KT needs to get a new club before end of august . It’s crazy he’s even second pick against the Ukrainian lad 

2 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:

This is what I find strange he is getting a decent amount of game time off the bench but 3 other players starting ahead of him so far this pre season and Zinchenko still to come back in. 

I think Arsenal would keep him if they can, as cover. I wonder if Arteta is using him enough to try to keep him at the club. Though I’d be wary of his game time would be the same level all season when everyone is fit.