Dundee United 2018/2019

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Its negotiations, Granny.

Mike Martin - We want plan A B and C. Its a must. For a club of our size, history and stature its a requirement we cant bend on that.

Manager - I have plan A.

Mike Martin - Deal! 

Sorry, I was being facetious.  :(

It seems such a long time since we even had a credible plan A.

Currently we have a hospitality and booze based businessman (Fyffe), a banker (Martin) and a former City Council executive (Dorward) on the board. I genuinely think that there are people on here with more footballing experience when it comes to identifying a new manager. I'm terrified of what they come up with as a next appointment given our track record in recent years. 
We really need a Chief Executive/Director of Football type person with experience and contacts to allow for the right appointment. 

Surely Luggie could have input , Davie Bowman knows a bawbag when he sees one !

34 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Currently we have a hospitality and booze based businessman (Fyffe), a banker (Martin) and a former City Council executive (Dorward) on the board. I genuinely think that there are people on here with more footballing experience when it comes to identifying a new manager. I'm terrified of what they come up with as a next appointment given our track record in recent years. 

We really need a Chief Executive/Director of Football type person with experience and contacts to allow for the right appointment. 

If you’re looking for volunteers I’m in.  Not looking for payment but some decent sandwiches and coffee at the interview break is essential.

18 minutes ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

Nope , gotta be a crusty white unsliced loaf, this is a deal breaker , if I or any of my people see so much as one granary roll near the platter then we walk and the deal is off. Don't test me on this !

It’s this sort of attitude that has been holding back Scottish football.

1 hour ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

Nope , gotta be a crusty white unsliced loaf, this is a deal breaker , if I or any of my people see so much as one granary roll near the platter then we walk and the deal is off. Don't test me on this !

Apparently don't have that kind of dough at the club :whistle

33 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

What has happened to Callum Booth?

He has Jamie Robson levels of ability. It's shocking that our strongest starting 11 would arguably include Murdoch and Robson as the fullbacks, weakest positions in our squad in my opinion although the keeper certainly challenged that on Saturday. 

What has happened to Callum Booth?
Hard to remember all of the goals on Saturday but weren't 4 of them created by attacking our left hand side?

I also want to know the situation with wardrop, seemed like a great signing at the time. Unbelievably I thought those two wingbacks would be deployed regularly as wingbacks this season, how could I have been so naive.

Booth was poor in the Morton game but then again both fullbacks that day were getting played out of position in a strange formation.  I’d certainly give him the nod ahead of Robson following Saturday’s display.  

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I think he has a bit to contribute; hopefully a manager who is not a total zoomer will listen to what Ellis has to say and work closely with him.

I don't know that it makes sense to keep on the backroom staff when sacking a manager - it certainly didn't work keeping McKinnon's backroom staff for Laszlo to use (and I understand that it was a reason that some managers pulled out of the running/did not apply) - but I doubt we have the finances to allow a wholesale change.

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

At the risk of stating the obvious we cannot afford another mistake; the stakes are really too high.

The stakes are indeed very high; hence the trepidation that I feel, knowing that our board (the same board that thought it was a good idea to (i) keep Laszlo on after last season; and (ii) only allow him 7 league games with his squad) is making the decision...

To be honest my biggest hope in the short-term is that the players feel like a weight is lifted and they can play with a bit more freedom like they seemingly did when Ellis was in charge the last time. I'm not saying it was Ellis who gave them that confidence but everything I know about Laszlo points to the majority of the players not performing as they should due to bad man-management and confusing tactics. Every player in the squad should see this as a fresh start and a chance to impress (guys like Booth, Wardrop, Glass etc need to make the most of it).

We still desperately need a couple of decent results in the next few weeks to stay in touch with the top 3 or 4 sides in the division. The league table is still very tight bu tif we were to go winless for the next three games then we will be left struggling to play catch-up.