Dundee United 2018/2019

Fyvie hurt his hamstring but hopefully coming off when he did will have prevented any long term damage.  Week and a half til Alloa game, fingers crossed he recovers in time for that.

Few decisions to make in defence when Frans and Booth are back fit as both Edgenguele and Murdoch are playing well now.

front 6 picks itself with Clark a good option from the bench.

See, being honest, i dont go with this stability thing re Csaba. You could see clear as day that he didnt have a fucking clue what he was doing. Yes he brought in a few good players but he brought in an equal amount of utter fucking shite.

Barton

Loemba

Curran on 3 years

Wardrop 

Rabbitch.

There is something to be said for consistency and stability if there is any kind of progress to be seen - which there wasnt under Laszlo. We got dramatically worse every week and there was no reason he should have been kept imo. 

Yes things behind the scenes changed but we cant put a sports bar in defence.

It dosent necessarily mean we would have got Neilson had we hoofed the muppet last season either, so from that angle you could say MM got a bit of luck with that. Mind you, if Neilson did call the club to throw his hat in the ring he may have done the same over the summer knowing he could have more time to build his own team?

Its all a bit late now as we are where we are but i still think MM is a bit of a bell end for rewarding Csaba's failure by keeping him employed.

11 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

Fyvie hurt his hamstring but hopefully coming off when he did will have prevented any long term damage.  Week and a half til Alloa game, fingers crossed he recovers in time for that.

Few decisions to make in defence when Frans and Booth are back fit as both Edgenguele and Murdoch are playing well now.

front 6 picks itself with Clark a good option from the bench.

Good; was worried it might be the knee again.

Hopefully will be good for Alloa.

I apologise for having raised the Laszlo thing again; I said when Neilson was appointed it was time to put the whole sorry mess  to bed and that’s where it should stay.

As someone said on the match and thread yesterday’s game was a big test and I think Neilson and the players passed with flying colours.

We will undoubtedly have a dip (or dips) in form between now and the end of the season and will lose stupid goals that will have the nerves jangling.  However I am more positive about our future now that I have been since the second half of the season we went down.

On 11/11/2018 at 00:45, captainkev said:

It seems that it was purely to try and bring some stability to the team by not changing the management again so soon after sacking McKinnon. I'd guess that with the attempts to sort out the structure of the club behind the scenes over the summer he wanted to avoid bringing in a new coaching team on top of that.  

I suppose there's something honourable in trying to offer a manager time to turn things round and not immediately resort to firing them, but Csaba really had done nothing to earn that patience. No one was surprised at how things turned out.

As I recall, the local media spent the week before the 5-1 County game trying to spin an unimpressive 2-0 win against an abysmal Falkirk side as a turning point for Laszlo. That probably tells just how big a mess he was making of this season; almost as much as the subsequent humping from County did.

It'll be interesting to see if Martin says or does anything should we fail to get automatic promotion by a narrow margin at the end of the season.

The thing is, what MM said about managerial stability at the start of the reason was all very laudable. It's just a pity the man who benefited from it was an abysmal manager. But...we are where we are, and we have the right man in now. Very little point in dredging it all up again.

It is a cliche but the biggest test now will be our next match against Alloa. Those are the games that we need to be winning, especially with Ayr United at home after that. A game at a time and all that. 

I am disappointed there is a bit of a break before next Tuesday but it is probably a good thing for the squad after such an intense few weeks and the build-up to the game in Dingwall. A few days off and then back to it, hopefully we then beat Alloa to make the Ayr game a massive night under the lights and with a big crowd (unfortunately it is on council telly so a few might stay away depending on the weather).

A few of us have said it time and time again but it really does show that under a good motivator, man manager and tactician you really can elevate players beyond their apparent capacity. Someone like 'Edge' has shown in the last two games that he can deal with the pressure and come out with good performances. We also now have a collective unit of defenders who seem to be playing for the manager and in people like Murdoch you have guys who fans are now beginning to get behind.

The fan momentum is something the club have managed to work with very well and the media guys deserve a bit of credit for churning out a good amount of positive PR (something Neilson himself is excellent at).

11 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

It is a cliche but the biggest test now will be our next match against Alloa. Those are the games that we need to be winning, especially with Ayr United at home after that. A game at a time and all that. 

I am disappointed there is a bit of a break before next Tuesday but it is probably a good thing for the squad after such an intense few weeks and the build-up to the game in Dingwall. A few days off and then back to it, hopefully we then beat Alloa to make the Ayr game a massive night under the lights and with a big crowd (unfortunately it is on council telly so a few might stay away depending on the weather).

A few of us have said it time and time again but it really does show that under a good motivator, man manager and tactician you really can elevate players beyond their apparent capacity. Someone like 'Edge' has shown in the last two games that he can deal with the pressure and come out with good performances. We also now have a collective unit of defenders who seem to be playing for the manager and in people like Murdoch you have guys who fans are now beginning to get behind.

The fan momentum is something the club have managed to work with very well and the media guys deserve a bit of credit for churning out a good amount of positive PR (something Neilson himself is excellent at).

If the break gives Fyvie a chance to recover I’m all for it.  He and Safranko are arguably our most pivotal players.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If the break gives Fyvie a chance to recover I’m all for it.  He and Safranko are arguably our most pivotal players.

I think both of them could probably do with a bit of rest given the last few weeks. For Fyvie it will be more about muscle and hamstring recovery but Safranko should just go for a lie down given how bloody hard he's been working!

With a 10 day break between the Alloa and Ayr game it will be good if we could use Fyvie next Tuesday as he would get decent recovery time before the Ayr fixture. I noticed that in Neilson's interview on ArabZone yesterday he talked about consistency and that when he came in he said "this is the system, this is the team". He certainly has a favoured starting eleven and it is good to have that instead of changes every week for no apparent reason. I also got the impression that January will be quite quiet with only one or two at the most coming in.