Dundee United 2018/2019

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

What do you think are the positive attributes that Robson brings to the team?

I think he's decent technically, he's got pretty good pace, he links up well, he's a willing runner, he can beat a man. Against that he telegraphs his crosses meaning that he gets closed down far too often, he dives into challenges and gets caught out of position, his professionalism seems to be questionable but that's only based on one incident really. Essentially he's a young guy who needs a lot of improvement but has shown enough to suggest to me (and obviously to United) that he's worth persevering with. There are very few young players, at any level, who hit the ground running and show consistent improvement until they become the finished article. Much, much more common are those who start brightly and then  suffer dips before kicking on again. The rest get written off even earlier because they start slowly or don't even reach the first team until much older.

I'm not suggesting that Robson will go on to be a star, or even make it at the level United are at just now, but I think he's shown enough in very trying circumstances to think that he's still got a decent chance. I'd also hazard that most of the folk writing him off just now are doing so in the context of being utterly scunnered with everything to do with United - which I understand as I feel pretty much the same - and aren't being as patient or charitable as they might otherwise be. Time will tell.

15 minutes ago, Szamo said:
[mention=72638]Accent-Unknown[/mention] Can you create a similar Laszlo type avatar?
Köszönöm.

I’m sure the guy I stole it from on Twitter can

edit- there we go.

Edited by Accent-Unknown
change of profile

I thoroughly dislike Robson, firstly because I’m still not quite over the Christmas Eve incident. However I could get by that, given he is young and everyone makes silly mistakes. What really puts me off is that I just do not think he is any good whatsoever, he’s soft, his distribution is poor and he is caught out of position so often. We should be investing the most in our defence, it is by far the most important attribute of a team playing in this league; if it hadn’t been for Murdochs f**k up in the first leg and our defences incredible ability to start the first few minutes of halves in slow motion there’s a chance we could even have shitfested our way through the playoffs (totally undeservedly). I hope to god two relatively inexperienced and developing 20 year olds are not going to be our starting fullbacks in this league next year.

Best for Robson to go back down to development squad, he’s not ready yet for first team and we need a experienced first choice.

Fraser’s a good player but no that bothered bout him leaving, been injured far too much past two seasons. Better using the money signing someone who’s gonna play the whole season.

2 minutes ago, MacArab said:

Good fucking riddance.

We need fighters this year, not tippy tappy Fancy Nancys.

Fancy Nancys (Nancies?) are exactly what we need. You really think you can escape this division by employing a bunch of hammer throwers whose only "tactic" is to launch the ball upfield and fight for the scraps? As if.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

I think he's decent technically, he's got pretty good pace, he links up well, he's a willing runner, he can beat a man. Against that he telegraphs his crosses meaning that he gets closed down far too often, he dives into challenges and gets caught out of position, his professionalism seems to be questionable but that's only based on one incident really. Essentially he's a young guy who needs a lot of improvement but has shown enough to suggest to me (and obviously to United) that he's worth persevering with. There are very few young players, at any level, who hit the ground running and show consistent improvement until they become the finished article. Much, much more common are those who start brightly and then  suffer dips before kicking on again. The rest get written off even earlier because they start slowly or don't even reach the first team until much older.

I'm not suggesting that Robson will go on to be a star, or even make it at the level United are at just now, but I think he's shown enough in very trying circumstances to think that he's still got a decent chance. I'd also hazard that most of the folk writing him off just now are doing so in the context of being utterly scunnered with everything to do with United - which I understand as I feel pretty much the same - and aren't being as patient or charitable as they might otherwise be. Time will tell.

I usually tend to err on the side of optimism (big mistake when it comes to United) but like Fraser I wouldn't have minded seeing the back of Robson.

Poor attitude (wasn't the same player after the Christmas Eve shenanigans) and was a constant feature of a side that was nothing short of shite for most of last year, and was never anything better than meh.

I won't repeat the points made about his abilities as detailed above except to say that I feel his the negative points by far outweigh his few positives.

Will be absolutely delighted (and surprised) however to be proven wrong.

Now that he has signed he will get my total backing of course*

* until 5 minutes into matchday 1 when having been beaten all ends up by a postie playing for Alloa I will join all those around me in hurling abuse at him again.

Best for Robson to go back down to development squad, he’s not ready yet for first team and we need a experienced first choice.

Fraser’s a good player but no that bothered bout him leaving, been injured far too much past two seasons. Better using the money signing someone who’s gonna play the whole season.

Too old for development squad now is he not?

Fancy Nancys (Nancies?) are exactly what we need. You really think you can escape this division by employing a bunch of hammer throwers whose only "tactic" is to launch the ball upfield and fight for the scraps? As if.

Livingston done that and look what happened....