• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Old Scrotum said:

Oh well, there goes the Greenock job. Still a couple of vacancies for you though, SA.

I reckon Sons fans would do well to get the thought of Aitken resigning as far out of their minds as they can. You may think he's an idiot in the dugout but he's not cutting his next 9 months wages in half out of the good of his heart.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I reckon Sons fans would do well to get the thought of Aitken resigning as far out of their minds as they can. You may think he's an idiot in the dugout but he's not cutting his next 9 months wages in half out of the good of his heart.

Is that why we were able to make three signings last week?

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

Tomorrow will be Stevie's 150th game in charge of us. 

Couldn’t really be any less excited for tomorrow’s game.

It’s amazing that five games in, not only is the title already gone (not that it was ever on, Raith will walk it), I’d be happy if we just stay up this season.

Quite an achievement from Stevie.

John Steele is a good egg. You’ve got to give him credit, he’s been absolutely great so far.

As I mentioned on the match thread, the games following Montrose really worry me.

Airdrie (a), Raith (h), Stranraer (a), Arbroath (a).

With Aitken at the helm through those, I genuinely dont see us having as many points as games after 10 matches.

John Steele seems like a sound chap. Wants to engage which is excellent. Wouldn't surprise me if he sniffed about P&B........

My worry is we win tomoro, and Stevie claims everything is rosy and gets to be in charge of the games mentioned above. Although I would like to win tomoro, as the run in the diddy cup last year was quality, a defeat tomoro and next week may spell the end for Mr Aitken.

Reading between the lines of the Chairman's statement it is implicit that the board, staff and players are working together. He clearly doesn't believe that the players aren't playing for Aitken and he acknowledges the nature extent of the injuries and illness. I've known John Steele for many years and gullability is not a personality trait that I'd attribute to him.  He won't be afraid of being decisive either should he see that being necessary.  The publishing of the statement is to his credit.

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

John Steele seems like a sound chap. Wants to engage which is excellent. Wouldn't surprise me if he sniffed about P&B........

My worry is we win tomoro, and Stevie claims everything is rosy and gets to be in charge of the games mentioned above. Although I would like to win tomoro, as the run in the diddy cup last year was quality, a defeat tomoro and next week may spell the end for Mr Aitken.

I think it’s very possible we take 0 points from our next five league matches. In fact, I’ll go one further and say that Aitken will definitely not be in charge by the time we host East Fife. He might take some points from those, but not enough to keep his job. It’s now a question of when Aitken goes, rather than if*.

The only positive is, because the league is so small it’s hard to be completely out of the running for top four.

*this is all dependent on us having the financial means to sack him.

2 minutes ago, albundy said:

It's hard to argue against the stats, if the data is indeed accurate.

However, just to offer a counter would you have considered Alan Adamson to be unlucky or Jim Fallon?

There are exceptions that perhaps prove the rule. However in the case of Fallon he took the job when he shouldn't have. Dawson and Hagen had walked away and Rankine had returned and slashed the budget. Murdo made a sharp exit and Fallon was left holding a parcel of shite. I think Adamson was unfortunate. He was clearly able to coach and manage a club at League 1 (division 2) level and surely deserved his chance in the Championship? I wonder if those complaining about Aitken might be ok with Adamson/Ross at the helm just now? 

31 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Reading between the lines of the Chairman's statement it is implicit that the board, staff and players are working together. He clearly doesn't believe that the players aren't playing for Aitken and he acknowledges the nature extent of the injuries and illness. I've known John Steele for many years and gullability is not a personality trait that I'd attribute to him.  He won't be afraid of being decisive either should he see that being necessary.  The publishing of the statement is to his credit.

Spot on.

Also, this on the trust site: https://sonstrust.wordpress.com/2018/09/07/club-engages-fans-concerns/

I know it's been horrible, but I really do think we can turn this round...

Archived