Wilhelm scream

I started watching 12 Monkeys on Netflix tonight.  I got episode four of the first season and someone is shot and they used the "Wilhelm scream" as they die.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream

It is one of these sound effects that I've heard so often it is a bit jarring now.  I guess some will use as a homage but I'd be happy if it was banned outright from ever being used again.

Am I the only the one who gets annoyed by this?  Are there any similar overused sound effects that annoy you?

This is dreadful. There's a standard creaking door noise that's dreadful. There's a children's laughter noise that's dreadful. I don't know how or why people continually put these in films, because I don't know how it doesn't make everyone want to claw their eyeballs out any time they hear it.

The Wilhelm Scream is just intensely fucking annoying now; every film has to have a second where the sound engineers remind everyone that they're watching a film. Thanks guys.

There are hundreds of stock sounds that show up constantly, but at least they (presumably) aren't included deliberately because the audience has heard it before. Seems like producers need to shell out a bit more cash on expanding their sound libraries. I'd rather not be reminded of the game Doom when watching a film, usually because it makes me realise I'd be having more fun playing Doom  <_<

Archived