Linlithgow Rose 18/19

19 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Arguing over whether Lithgae should have lost 4-1 or 5-1 to Dunbar, changed days!

Was Marley in goal?

Yes he was.

Luke Whelan out for the season and Owen Ronald got cruciate ligament damage as well and no cash to bring in new players. 

Regarding offside. The definition applied by referees nowadays when working out if a player has influenced play when a defender deliberately plays the ball ( as opposed to making a block or ball rebounding of them) is a phrase known as ‘playing distance’ .

This essentially equates to the attacker either making contact with the defender or being close enough to make contact through one movement ( essentially within a six foot/two yard range).

The onus is now on defenders to trust the officials rather than attempt to play the ball and perhaps misjudge it or misplay it. I don’t agree with the rule but the officials are only implementing the rules as directed by fifa. The big issue is that so many involved in the game ( players, coaches and fans) don’t know this and then abuse the official for actually making the correct decision - which he didn’t do on this occasion.

54 minutes ago, surely not! said:

Regarding offside. The definition applied by referees nowadays when working out if a player has influenced play when a defender deliberately plays the ball ( as opposed to making a block or ball rebounding of them) is a phrase known as ‘playing distance’ .

This essentially equates to the attacker either making contact with the defender or being close enough to make contact through one movement ( essentially within a six foot/two yard range).

The onus is now on defenders to trust the officials rather than attempt to play the ball and perhaps misjudge it or misplay it. I don’t agree with the rule but the officials are only implementing the rules as directed by fifa. The big issue is that so many involved in the game ( players, coaches and fans) don’t know this and then abuse the official for actually making the correct decision - which he didn’t do on this occasion.

What he said!

54 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

The officials decided it was offside. I understand the points made by posters for and against that decision but ultimately it is of no consequence.

Time to move on.

Agreed, it didn't affect the result.  I'd have given the goal and I'm a Lithgae fan but the discussion was worthwhile to me in trying to understand how offside works these days.  

Agreed, it didn't affect the result.  I'd have given the goal and I'm a Lithgae fan but the discussion was worthwhile to me in trying to understand how offside works these days.  

This was my intention with the explanation. Didn’t remotely think it affected the game ( actually might be a contributing factor in the fact the ref may have found it easy to disallow at the time).

Think it’s key that folk understand the rule, although I’d argue that out of 100 refs across the country, 50 would actually chop it off to avoid the hassle [emoji23]

On 20/08/2018 at 12:52, FuzzyBear said:

Yes he was.

Luke Whelan out for the season and Owen Ronald got cruciate ligament damage as well and no cash to bring in new players. 

How is there no cash to bring players in ? 

1 hour ago, FuzzyBear said:
2 hours ago, Sheep77 said:

C'mon Sheep there has been a shed load of cash invested in the ground recently.

But surely there been enough ££s for player budget 

12 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:
13 hours ago, Sheep77 said:

C'mon Sheep there has been a shed load of cash invested in the ground recently.

Surely they budgeted for strengthening the squad when they did their sums?

Of course what you can’t see is the squad being depleted by injuries.

Your sponsors will rally round and see you alright in the end. 

1 hour ago, boheesian said:

Surely they budgeted for strengthening the squad when they did their sums?

Of course what you can’t see is the squad being depleted by injuries.

Your sponsors will rally round and see you alright in the end. 

The squad was strenghtened and increased on last season - you can't legislate for almost a third of the squad currently being injured (including a couple of long-term).  You add in holidays throughout July and early August and any team would struggle.

I don't think Bradley has had the opportunity to pick a team not dictated by availability