Russia '18 Match Simulation Thread

BFTD

Match 7: Peru 0 Denmark 0

That rare beast, the entertaining goalless draw. Some decent chances for both sides, but some equally adept defensive play nullifying the strikers' good work. Seems like the fight for second place in this group will be tough to call. Oh, and it looks like Peru's keeper is a frequent one-handed puncher, going by this - might be a source of some entertainment in the actual tournament  :thumsup2

7-PeruDenmarkMatchFacts.jpg

7-PeruDenmarkMatchEvents.jpg

7-PeruPlayerRatings.jpg

7-DenmarkPlayerRatings.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Match 8: Croatia 0 Nigeria 0

Match 7, but more so. Both sides had some cracking chances, with the woodwork being punished on several occasions, so it's mystifying how the ball didn't go in at least once. They both looked quite dangerous, so Group D seems the closest to a Group of Death so far; Argentina aren't guaranteed first place by any stretch.

8-CroatiaNigeriaMatchFacts.jpg

8-CroatiaNigeriaMatchEvents.jpg

8-CroatiaPlayerRatings.jpg

8-NigeriaPlayerRatings.jpg

11 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Cracking thread. Loving the screen shots but would be great if we could see highlights uploaded. Is this even possible?

Aye, I think you can upload them to YouTube. This is the first FIFA game I've had in about twelve years, so I'll have to f**k about with it. Hang on.

Edit: alright, I don't see a way to upload highlights from within the game, so I'm going to have to vidcap, edit, and upload manually. In true, "if you don't want to know the result of tonight's match, look away now" style, posts now will consist of the result and my blurb hidden in a spoiler, with a link to the full video of the game to watch, if you have ten minutes or so to kill. The screenshots are still available at the video's end - just pause when the screen you want to see appears.

First one coming up. Let me know if I've screwed the pooch.

Spoiler

Match 9: Costa Rica 1 Serbia 2

A solid Serbian side take their chances, and emerge victorious over the defensively-frail Central Americans, who seemed much happier going forward. Costa Rica already needing snookers to see the Second Round; Serbia will be difficult for the Swiss to break down.

Spoiler Match 9: Costa Rica 1 Serbia 2
A solid Serbian side take their chances, and emerge victorious over the defensively-frail Central Americans, who seemed much happier going forward. Costa Rica already needing snookers to see the Second Round; Serbia will be difficult for the Swiss to break down.

Impact sub Campbell!

Surely worth a start next game

2 hours ago, Estragon said:

I motion to go back to screenshots and punditry.   I can't spend half an hour a match on the 2018 BFTD World Cup.

#threadruined

Just read the spoilers and drag the slider to the end of the video. Problem solved.

Spoiler

Match 10 - Germany 1 Mexico 1

A cautious opener, with neither side prepared to go all-out for the win. Germany opened the scoring halfway through the second half with some clever short passing in the penalty area, with Mezut Ozil missing an absolute sitter shortly thereafter. Mexico kept their heads and plugged away to the death, receiving their reward when Corona put away their best chance with seconds to spare, and almost sneaking a winner from the resultant kick-off. Fair result in the end; Germany not looking like reigning champions yet.

Spoiler

Match 11 - Brazil 1 Switzerland 0

Switzerland start the game looking as pump as anyone so far, with Brazil mystifyingly unable to take advantage. Somehow the Swiss work their way back into it, and end up with a couple of decent chances of their own. Unfortunately, the Swiss defence decides to follow this by running away from the ball en masse at the edge of their box, allowing Neymar an acre to rifle the ball home. Bless.

Another poor start in the second half sees Brazil hit the woodwork, but there's no further scoring, and the game peters out a bit. Worrying that Brazil couldn't make more hay against such a mediocre team, and they certainly look to have vulnerabilities at the back that a better team could exploit.

Sorry for the lag just after kick off, BTW; no idea what that's about. Time for a computer upgrade, perhaps. If it's any consolation, you didn't miss anything important, just a brief outbreak of streaking from the Lovely Ladies of the World Cup. 

On 6/10/2018 at 15:40, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Match 1: Russia 0 Saudi Arabia 0

An expected dull opener, with Russia dominant but impotent in attack. Saudi limited to a couple of chances on the counter. Not a promising start for the hosts, but about as good a result as the Arabs deserved.

1-RussiaSaudiArabiaMatchFacts.jpg

1-RussiaSaudiArabiaMatchEvents.jpg

1-RussiaPlayerRatings.jpg

1-SaudiArabiaPlayerRatings.jpg

Hope you had some money on that score :lol:

Spoiler

Match 12 - Sweden 0 South Korea 0

Two evenly-matched sides, both of whom fail to take advantage of Germany and Mexico dropping points in the opener. Sweden get the best chances in the second half, but are kept out by a combination of the Korean keeper and some poor finishing. Neither side look likely to finish ahead of their groupmates.

Spoiler

Match 13 - Belgium 3 Panama 0

The biggest mismatch so far, with Belgium taking the ball and passing their opponents at will. The cigars come out for the second half, with the big names coming off early on, and Panama being granted several chances for a consolation, but it's not to be. Truth be told, Belgium could have scored five or six without much extra effort. Still time for them to regret easing up if England can get ahead of them on goal difference.

Just now, King Kebab said:

I wonder how the octopus got on today???

I think he died and was eaten right after the tournament.

There's enough "meat" on me to last you all for a fortnight.

Archived