Messi & Ronaldo Watch

Oooooft

9 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

The Messi fan boys are making terrible excuses for him being pish.
He has been done for years.
His increase in pishness coincided with Xavi retiring and Iniesta getting older. Make of that what you will.

Ronaldo has been consistently brilliant even when Real have been pish.

You're an idiot.  Messi has just had his best season in years.  If you don't know anything about this probably best not comment.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ronaldo just handles the pressure better than Messi I think.

One thing I notice about Messi is when he's under severe pressure like tonight's 2nd half, he tries to go on his left , by players  about 99.999% of the time,  and opposition players know it, how many times in that 2nd half did the Croatians easily take the ball of him.

Regarding Messi & Ronaldo, if Ronaldo isn’t on top form Portugal still have a chance of shitfesting a 1-0 or 0-0 at worst as their defence is reasonably solid but if Messi’s not doing it Argentina are screwed with that Keystone Cops defence in front of a clownshoes goalkeeper!

The way my mates and ended up concluding on arguments on the GOAT is that its almost impossible (and if you feel you can it is open to accusations of subjectivism that are ludicrous) to compare players across eras without huge caveats. So our measure is 'the extent to which a player dominated their era' and comparing those. So that means that it is hard to separate pele, maradona and messi and ronnie (the latter being unique in that their are two who at the same time are head and shoulders and torso and thighs and calves and feet above the rest). 

I don't know, this way of thinking might help others solve debates when you talk past one another! (i.e. was zidane better than zico? yes, dominated his era more. Was Henry better that puskas? No. etc. It helped us get past many a tedious debate!

That said, I feel that Ronnie and Messi 'dominate' their era more than any players in history based on how mental their quality and stats and everything else is compared to other current players. So my feeling is they are the two best ever (partially because they have been fortunate to have been opposed to one another and drove the other on!).  But I would never be arrogant enough to say that is a absolutely unquestionable. I do think though that their quality will be made even more apparent in 5 years when they stop. And young teams are telling us neymar etc. is arguably better :lol:

27 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

The Messi fan boys are making terrible excuses for him being pish.
He has been done for years.
His increase in pishness coincided with Xavi retiring and Iniesta getting older. Make of that what you will.

Ronaldo has been consistently brilliant even when Real have been pish.

:lol:

You could see at the start of the game the stress Messi was under. He literally qualified Argentina on his own. Having the hopes of an entire nation plus a bang average team around you means he can't stand out. You could argue exactly the same thing for Ronaldo though.

Still hope Argentina go through.

So folk who make a case for Pele and Maradona are off their rockers, but you can confidently state Messi and Ronaldo are no. 1 and 2 of all time? 
What a lot of shite.
The point was made earlier that its impossible to compare players from different generations. 

Pele there is defo an argument for. Have to say maradonna wouldn’t be in my top 3 players of all time. The reasons being -
1. He cheated took ephedrine to reduce body weight to get in condition for 94 World Cup. Once caught for drugs I have a hard time not discounting him altogether.
2. People state he won World Cup single handed. This is a nonsense although he had a massive influence Jorge valdano scored 4 goals burruchaga scored 3 that World Cup. Always think they must be a bit pissed of when people say that
3. People state Napoli were a provincial team. They signed maradonna for a world record fee also signed careca Brazil’s top striker at the time.
4. Scott Nisbet of Rangers went further in the European Cup than maradonna. Maradonna never got past the 3rd round.
5. People tend to base him on the 86 World Cup video highlights. Scored 0 goals 1990 1 goal 94 before being send home.

Would agree however that Maradonna has had the biggest influence on a team winning an international tournament in 86 but not the best of all time.

I’m my opinion top 3 players of all time ronaldo messi and pele.

Hilarious seeing people trying to say that Ronaldo has a better team around him in Portugal than Messi does in Argentina. 
Messi is surrounded by superstars, Ronaldo won a Euro’s with Nani and Renato Sanchez as his support. 

And when God cruelly struck Ronaldo down with injury during the final, that could and should have been Portugal’s chances up the Swanny, and for any mere mortal it would have been but not for Cristiano Ronaldo Dos Santos Aveiro. He took on the role of manager, relegating the current one to the backroom staff, before managing his country to glory, all whilst struggling to walk.

“God smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile black”

On the tenth of July 2016....Cristiano Ronaldo smiled back.

9 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Hilarious seeing people trying to say that Ronaldo has a better team around him in Portugal than Messi does in Argentina. 

Messi is surrounded by superstars, Ronaldo won a Euro’s with Nani and Renato Sanchez as his support. 

Take another look at tonight’s Argentina team and tell me who the superstars are other than Aguero.

5 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Portugal's team is better than Argentina. Including the fact that they have Ronaldo - he seems to perform better in cup football than Messi and he's certainly more of a leader. 

Putting them aside though, Portugal's team is still better.

Regarding Messi & Ronaldo, if Ronaldo isn’t on top form Portugal still have a chance of shitfesting a 1-0 or 0-0 at worst as their defence is reasonably solid but if Messi’s not doing it Argentina are screwed with that Keystone Cops defence in front of a clownshoes goalkeeper!

Sort of deviating away from the main point of this thread to an extent but this is a good point in relation to how each player’s performances at this WC will affect their legacy. Portugal looked far from a great team at Euro 2016, but they were solid enough at the back and took their chances when it came to them (usually Ronaldo). There’s nothing like that with Argentina. They have next to no belief as a collective, and also have some total jokers at the back as you say. Messi pretty much single handedly hauled them to this World Cup - until Aguero’s goal against Iceland, it had been 578 days since someone who wasn’t Messi scored in a competitive game for the Argies. That’s awfully telling - no wonder the poor c**t’s buckling under the pressure, he’s been dragging them for the past four years or so.

Who’s the best? Pointless to say at this point as there is still plenty of time in each player’s careers; Ronaldo is an immensely dedicated athlete and it wouldn’t surprise me if he continued to reshape his playing style to further become a true #9 until he’s 40-odd. Messi is a wonderful magician with the ball and in terms of being a “complete” player, he is world class in a lot of the key aspects of the game. If he was a bonafide central midfielder, I really believe his passing would be eulogised in the same manner as the Pirlos of this world.

Ronaldo‘s free kick conversion rate is abysmal; Messi’s penalty conversion rate is abysmal (comparatively for an elite player). They’re two players at the end of the day, enjoy it while it lasts.

Genuinely emotional reading this. What a glorious day that was. Down the pub with the #boys, pub full of Ronaldo hating betas. The glee they were showing when he got that injury slowly being replaced by trepidation as they saw him rise up and become the GMOAT, to the sheer horror when they realised he’d managed his country to their first ever international trophy. The upset in their eyes gave me a full on boner. 
Beautiful. 

For people of a certain vintage it was our JFK moment....everyone remembers where they were when Ronaldo defied medical orders and stood up from the bench, his Portugal top was stifling, it narrowed his vision and he must see far, the bandage on his knee was heavy, it threw him off balance and the touch line was far away. We all know what happened next.
IMG_1529620137.936174.jpg

26 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Take Messi out of Argentina and take Ronaldo out of Portugal and Argentina would win 9 out of 10 times

No chance. Didn't Argentina win 1 game out of 8 without Messi in qualifying? They're absolute guff. Portugal would be fairly average without The Dark Invader but if a Messi-less Argentina can't beat Bolivia and Venezuela, they're not beating Portugal; never mind 9 times out of 10.

26 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

The thing Argentina lack is a leader, if Ronaldo was in that team they’d be very, very hard to beat. He motivates his whole team, gets involved defensively, looks good, gets the birds, is an alpha. 

Wouldn't disagree with much of this m9. Although his test tube baby situation makes me doubt that any bird-getting is genuine.

I'm sure he gets through some amount of beefcakes though, and why not. Absolute lad.

To be fair to Pep, it isn't homophobic to point out that someone isn't into birds. Someone pointed out that Ronnie gets the birds, Pep (like the chap before him who said he gets plenty of beefcakes) merely pointed out that birds may not be his cup of tea. If we're looking for offence to take I find it hugely offensive that someone used "birds" instead of "women" unless someone is seriously suggesting ornithological bestiality. 

Ronnie is the best. Messi is feenished. 

Stuart Armstrong is the handsomest. 

28 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Well, no. If Ronaldo was gay, then of course pointing that out isn’t homophobic, the fact he isn’t and Pep is using that to point score in a ‘haha, he’s gay,’ way is. I hope that clears things up for you. 

How do you know he's not.  You don't know that.  And even if it was to 'point score' (over whom I have no idea) it still wouldn't be homophobic.  If you want to use words you need to understand their meaning.  To say Wesley snipes isn't white is not racist for example.

If Ronaldo does happen to be gay then the absolute best thing that could possibly happen at this World Cup would be him announcing it by bagging all five in a 5-0 horsing of Russia in the final before, upon the full-time whistle, charging to the Portugal bench, returning with a huge rainbow flag and planting it in the centre circle a-la Souness at Galatasary. 

Archived