Sweden v South Korea (the big one)

Cerberus

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ross Forbes said:

Absolutely. He doesn't treat it like life and death as they do. He just sounds like he's enjoying it.

I genuinely don't understand how anyone could be paid to go to the World Cup to watch the games and talk about them, and not enjoy it.

Lawrenson and Murphy would have managed to have you reaching for the rope during the Spain-Portugal game the other night.

1 minute ago, Gnash said:

Would have been a really interesting situation if SK had scored, then the VAR penalty was given and Sweden scored it. From 1-0 to Korea to 1-0 Sweden! 

That situation will happen at some point, and all hell will break loose when it does.

I think the VAR officials were so sure it was a pen they told the ref to blow up before South Korea got near the goal.

If South Korea had scored, the ref wouldn't have been able to call on VAR to correct the penalty. I thought that once the ball goes out of play, a decision can't then be made to refer to VAR. It could only be done in the original procession of play. I could be talking out of my arse there admittedly. 

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

If South Korea had scored, the ref wouldn't have been able to call on VAR to correct the penalty. I thought that once the ball goes out of play, a decision can't then be made to refer to VAR. It could only be done in the original procession of play. I could be talking out of my arse there admittedly. 

They can go back when the ball goes out of play; they can't go back once the game resumes after the first stoppage after the incident they're looking at.

However, they can also stop the game when the ball is in 'a neutral area', presumably to avoid the scenario of the opposition scoring only to be pulled back for the penalty.

12 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I think the VAR officials were so sure it was a pen they told the ref to blow up before South Korea got near the goal.

Probably, but the situation I described can, and will, happen at some point.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm not certain of the rule myself, but if that's how it works then it's crazy.  What if Korea had scored before the VAR refs had had a chance to properly review it?  It would have been 1-0 to them when it should have been 1-0 to Sweden.

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

They can go back when the ball goes out of play; they can't go back once the game resumes after the first stoppage after the incident they're looking at.

However, they can also stop the game when the ball is in 'a neutral area', presumably to avoid the scenario of the opposition scoring only to be pulled back for the penalty.

This. 

I think it was applied perfectly there. By the time play was stopped the VARs would have been sure enough to warrant stopping play to make the correct decision. 

I think the ineptness of VAR in England last season may have been more to do with the ineptness of the referees, rather than the concept of the system.

42 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Good point. I`d have thought they should see out what was a decent break for Korea. 

Presumably if Korea had scored the goal would have been disallowed if VAR confirmed the pen but would have stood if penalty not given??

Korean "goal" would have been disallowed and the pen would have been given.

It happened in a Dutch game with VAR about a year ago. Vitesse v Feyenoord. Vitesse had an appeal for a penalty, the referee didn't give it, Feyenoord broke away and "scored". VAR then gave a penalty to Vitesse (which was scored) and disallowed the Feyenoord goal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40843317

It isn't the ball going out of play that prevents going back, it's if the play is restarted again. If the ref is notified that there is a VAR check in progress and the ball goes out of play, he then tells the players to wait until that check is over. Same would have happened if Korea had "scored". The ball would have gone back to the centre, but the referee would have stopped Sweden from kicking off until the check was finished.

I'm greatly enjoying the desperation to create a debate around VAR when every decision made using it so far has been correct and have mostly been made in a timely fashion, being a fine addition to the generally excellent officiating overall at the tournament.

It's going to be fucking glorious when Tunisia are incorrectly awarded a goal tonight.

This guy who cycled to Russia on his girlfriend's suggestion.
His bird is clearly shagging someone else, and came up with the plan to giver her as much time as possible to get out of the house without him knowing.

Gonna hazard a guess and suggest she doesn’t exist.

Archived